Starter

lsc 98 f100

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
What is the life expectancy of a mark starter?I know that starting the vehicle more than twice during one day will lessen the expectancy. Any ideas ?

Brushes and solenoid-$30, whole new one-$130...hmmm

Mine lasted to around 150,000 miles(93). My experience is mine didn't just completely die. It would require me some turn overs to start it when it didn't start and then it completely wouldn't start. I don't see why replace it before it starts giving you trouble, but when it does replace it quick. Though a tune-up like suggested is a good idea.

Ain't broke, don't fix it. Most of the junk remans these days will usually break sooner than the one you already have.

I just replaced my 1993 one couple months ago. I think it was my fault I had the car under cover for 2 years never touching her. When pulled starter there was water on her so I think snow was getting to starter. I went to boneyard and picked up a real Ford starter for 40 dollars. I also leave the top bolt out with no problems. 109K

I just replaced my 1993 one couple months ago. I think it was my fault I had the car under cover for 2 years never touching her. When pulled starter there was water on her so I think snow was getting to starter. I went to boneyard and picked up a real Ford starter for 40 dollars. I also leave the top bolt out with no problems. 109K

Thats what alot of vic/tc/marquis guys do to w/ no ill effects.

We called that the courtesy bolt at the dealer. You did the next guy a 'courtesy' if you left that bolt out.

We called that the courtesy bolt at the dealer. You did the next guy a 'courtesy' if you left that bolt out.

Yep, when I was pulling the starter I was thinking "I hope I left out the top bolt" LOL My F-150 starter only has 2 bolts(factory) holding it on so no biggie.

One of my bottom bolts was seized and f-ed up the aluminum when I pulled it out. So now I have a bolt with a washer and a nut on that one.

As for replacing, I always buy starters and alternators from NAPA, I've had really good luck and most of the time it's lifetime as long as you keep the receipt.

One of my bottom bolts was seized and f-ed up the aluminum when I pulled it out. So now I have a bolt with a washer and a nut on that one.

As for replacing, I always buy starters and alternators from NAPA, I've had really good luck and most of the time it's lifetime as long as you keep the receipt.

Everyone can have different out comes. I bought a starter for a 4 cly car from NAPA and the darn thing blew apart. The nose cone cracked right off. They did give me a new one thou.

a1 cardon

I got all my maintence records when I bought my car. Starter replacement is not in there. I have yet to look at it to see if its original. I bought it 6 years ago and it has 90xxx miles on it. I bet it has been replaced. I'll have to look.

Members online

No members online now.
Back