Start then stall

So ... bad pressure sensor? That's the item at the back end of the rail?

Had to borrow a valve stem remover before I was able to get a measurement.
Amazing - as my wife cranked and engine started the pressure got barely to 10 psi. Then quickly went back to zero as engine stalled. I know both of those results are bad. Remember I was able to get the car started and stay started by jumping across the fuel pump terminals.

The fuel rail pressure sensor, shown below, tells the computer what the fuel pressure is so the computer can cycelt the fuel pump on more or less to gain or decrease pressure.

2011-08-02_154137_1.png

Tried to get a V6 pic but wasn't able to copy and paste but they're all over the web...you should be getting at least 32-65 psi when engine is running
At 32PSI your still within specs on the fuel. If you want to try and bring the pressure up more then change the fuel pressure sensor and filter.

2011-07-30_154710_1.png

At 32PSI your still within specs on the fuel. If you want to try and bring the pressure up more then change the fuel pressure sensor and filter.

2011-07-30_154710_1.png

You may want to have a power balance test done to see if you have a weak coil. We see alot of coil failures on this model causing misfires and there often overlooked.

View attachment 828568980

You may want to have a power balance test done to see if you have a weak coil. We see alot of coil failures on this model causing misfires and there often overlooked.
Disregard that comment about power balance test and weak coil ....damn copy and paste mistake...

Could be a bad pressure sensor ...It will have a circular metal shield around it ...sometimes this is called a fuel pressure regulator

No, it's not at all like that. The LS is a returnless fuel system. There is no regulator! Say it with me. There is no fuel pressure regulator and there is no air temperature blend door.

On the V8, the pressure sensor is at the front of the passenger side rail. I not sure about the exact location on the V6. It's not round, it's rectangular.
07094840-1199876.jpg

No, it's not at all like that. The LS is a returnless fuel system. There is no regulator! Say it with me. There is no fuel pressure regulator and there is no air temperature blend door.

On the V8, the pressure sensor is at the front of the passenger side rail. I not sure about the exact location on the V6. It's not round, it's rectangular.
View attachment 828568981

Yep, the LS is a returnless fuel system. It's been puzzling my mentor on this project quite a bit. 'Where's the fuel regulator?' was a common refrain. I found some pretty good youtube posts about it yesterday by searching for 'returnless fuel systems'. I learned a lot.
So to my situation, my fuel pressure sensor reports that the fuel pressure is really high causing the PCM/REM to cut the pump down and then off. In reality the fuel pressure may or may not be low as the gauge reads because of the feedback to control the duty cycle. Time to stop analyzing and get to work.
I know right where it is on the V6. At the very back of the fuel rail, surrounded by a metal shield just as Dutch said. I got the shield off yesterday and will attempt to get the sensor off today. It is very difficult to get to, which raises the odds of it being the problem. I hope it is.
Thanks as always for the assistance.

Are you sure? There is a fuel temperature sensor at the very back of the rail.

Edit: Looked it up. Yes it's at the back on the V6 and it has a cylindrical cover of some sort around it. The fuel temperature sensor on the V6 is on the rail at the fuel pressure test port.

Last edited:
See edit above. You are correct.
Ford parts has same part number for v6 and v8 yet i can find the part on ebay etc for v8 but not for v6??? Rock auto says it has one, but picture is NOT of this part. Another hard to find part.
Is the part easily accessible on the V8? I could get one at local piknpul off a v8 and see if it works.

Ford parts has same part number for v6 and v8 yet i can find the part on ebay etc for v8 but not for v6??? Rock auto says it has one, but picture is NOT of this part. Another hard to find part.
Is the part easily accessible on the V8? I could get one at local piknpul off a v8 and see if it works.
Could you use a 2002 Lincoln LS V6 fuel pressure sensor its on Rockauto for $70.00 I would think this part would work ...not 100% sure but maybe something to check out...this part is a aftermarket not OEM so forget this post if looking for MotorCraft...all my best

Could you use a 2002 Lincoln LS V6 fuel pressure sensor its on Rockauto for $70.00 I would think this part would work ...not 100% sure but maybe something to check out...this part is a aftermarket not OEM so forget this post if looking for MotorCraft...all my best
I honestly dont know. That same part number, STD FPS7, is in every auto place. And every time I check the fit for a 2001 v6 it doesn't. Amazingly according to rock and amazon, it does fit a 2002 but it doest fit a 2000 or 2001. ?? :(

Here's the one they call out on rock auto. I doubt it will fit. I cant insert it but u can check it out if u want.
transpurple100.png

I honestly dont know. That same part number, STD FPS7, is in every auto place. And every time I check the fit for a 2001 v6 it doesn't. Amazingly according to rock and amazon, it does fit a 2002 but it doest fit a 2000 or 2001. ?? :(

Here's the one they call out on rock auto. I doubt it will fit. I cant insert it but u can check it out if u want.
View attachment 828568982

• s-l225.jpg
    Fuel Pressure Sensor Standard FPS7 (Fits: 2001 Lincoln LS)

Key Search Words - 2000 : Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Fuel Pressure Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor; Sensor.
    5 out of 5 stars
    8 product ratings

$93.51
    Top Rated Plus
    Was: Previous Price$228.68
    Brand: Standard
    Free shipping
    50 new & refurbished from $73.05
    Here is what I found on EBay it says it fits 2001 Lincoln LS...I just wish it would be more specific and say 3.0 V6 but no matter what Odds are about 50/50 chance not bad odds

I honestly dont know. That same part number, STD FPS7, is in every auto place. And every time I check the fit for a 2001 v6 it doesn't. Amazingly according to rock and amazon, it does fit a 2002 but it doest fit a 2000 or 2001.
?? :(

I see what you're saying now...when I insert the engine 3.0 V6 it announces that the car isn't compatible only 2001 3.9 V8 ...this is really weird

I see that there is a sensor PA CARGO brand for V6 LS

I see that there is a sensor PA CARGO brand for V6 LS
Yeah check the pic for that. Not going to fit. Has two locating tabs that are noot present on mine which I got off. The PN printed on it is
XW4F 9F972 AD. ebay equated it to FPS7 but I'm not biting yet.

Yes, it is.
Yeah I looked at DVD and it's a piece of cake. Took me over an hour to get mine off. Got a PN now. Going to head to picknpull tomorrow. There's one 30 mins away that I know is a V8. There are 4 more 1.5 hours away. Just learned they're all v8s. :( What's an LS6 owner to do?

Yeah I looked at DVD and it's a piece of cake. Took me over an hour to get mine off. Got a PN now. Going to head to picknpull tomorrow. There's one 30 mins away that I know is a V8. There are 4 more 1.5 hours away. Just learned they're all v8s. :( What's an LS6 owner to do?
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 fuel Pressure sensor 1999-2002 genuine XW4F-9F972-AD

Be the first to write a review.

| See original listing
s-l300.jpg
imgEndedCvi_96x96.png

Condition:
Used

“Used but in good working order. Please match to the part number provided to avoid compatibility ”

... Read more

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Ended:
19 Jan, 2018 21:09:15 GMT

Price:
£19.99

Postage:
Read item description or contact seller for postage options.

Item location:
Short Heath Willenhall, West Midlands, United Kingdom

Seller:
jfarmertradings (1043
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
|
Seller's other items

Yeah check the pic for that. Not going to fit. Has two locating tabs that are noot present on mine which I got off. ...

The service manual shows the V6 one as having the same tabs as the V8 one. How is yours held to the fuel rail without them?
It and the Ford parts site shows the same part for the V6 as the v8.
V6FuelPressure.jpg

Wonder if the S-Type would work for your 3.0?
Yeah definitely. What u pointed to above was the exact part number. But it was sold.
The service manual shows the V6 one as having the same tabs as the V8 one. How is yours held to the fuel rail without them?
It and the Ford parts site shows the same part for the V6 as the v8.
View attachment 828568990
Yeah they (v6 and v8) look the same, attach the same and in fact the PNs are the same according to ford. Problem is the suppliers all say 'this does not fit your 2001 lincoln LS v6'.
Now Dutch, just above, showed a Jag sensor with the exact PN that is printed on mine sold on ebay. So they do exist. And I had forgotten to check Terrys Jag so I did and seems like they have one for $104. They say it fits all S-types.

This is what one of the ppl said in the question section of Amazon ad...don't know if Stangchic is right or wrong though....
" What is the difference between part number 3r3z 9f972 ab and part number 3r3z 9f972 aa?

Answer:
The difference is that the original Ford OEM part number was 3R3Z-9F972-AA. That part no longer is manufactured. The new part number is 3R3Z-9F972-AB, which replaces the old sensor part number. I hope that helps...AA was the original sensor, AB replaces it. It has the same fitment. I do not know what has been changed, but Ford has a tendency to update parts that are notorious for failing. see less
By Stangchic on February 17, 2017"

Members online

No members online now.
Back