Stalling when put into gear

Any good sources for torque converters? I am thinking it is more likely to be the converter itself than the solenoids since there are no codes, but not out of the question.

What gets me is that it stalls regardless of engine RPM when shifted. It dies just the same from idle into gear as it does from 2k RPM into gear. That and how quickly it came on without any other symptoms.

Have you tried shifting from neutral to drive while moving?

Have someone pull your car down the street in neutral (car running) then shift into drive and see what happens.

Have you tried shifting from neutral to drive while moving?

Have someone pull your car down the street in neutral (car running) then shift into drive and see what happens.

I have not done that, and do not plan on it. What would that show?

I thought the connector shown was outside of the transmission (an in-line coupler). In any event, all those signals will be at the PCM connector too. I'll have to look it up in the wiring diagrams that I have tonight.

I thought the connector shown was outside of the transmission (an in-line coupler). In any event, all those signals will be at the PCM connector too. I'll have to look it up in the wiring diagrams that I have tonight.

Looking at the manual there, it probably is. I am hoping someone knows where it is located, as that would save a decent amount of time trying to find it. :cool:

Resistance checks out on the solenoid block. That is not definitive, but puts another nail in the coffin. Is there anything in the valvebody that would impact the torque converter?

Resistance checks out on the solenoid block. That is not definitive, but puts another nail in the coffin. Is there anything in the valvebody that would impact the torque converter?

It is still possible that the solenoid could have a mechanical defect such as the valve needle sticking. That wouldn't show up on an electrical test.

It is still possible that the solenoid could have a mechanical defect such as the valve needle sticking. That wouldn't show up on an electrical test.

Very true. I am still planning on swapping the solenoid between my Mountaineer and the LS...now I am just debating if it is worthwhile to swap the valvebodies while I am at it.

I figured I would just bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I decided to yank the transmission and have it rebuilt as long as I am going through the trouble. This has lead me to two issues.

I have a 4-bolt torque converter in there. I was certain that the V8 should have an 8-bolt unit. Moreover, I am almost certain this transmission has never been touched.

Second, and more pressing, is the fact that I cannot get the sucker to let go of the engine. I have everything unbolted, and have triple checked for anything hanging up. I can get it to open up a hair with a prybar, but cannot get it to actually work loose. Has anyone ever encountered this or have any suggestions short of hitting it with the sledge hammer?

I had the same problem when my cats where plugged, it would idle but when I put it in gear it died. Try pulling the front o2 sensors which will let exhaust out and put it in gear if it doesn't die you need cats, and not the furry ones

I had the same problem when my cats where plugged, it would idle but when I put it in gear it died. Try pulling the front o2 sensors which will let exhaust out and put it in gear if it doesn't die you need cats, and not the furry ones

It is the torque converter. Now I need to figure out about the torque converter having four studs and getting the transmission to let go.

ah I didn't realize it had a second page, where I got too on page one you hadn't figuired it out yet

Members online

No members online now.
Back