SST upgrade or Xcal2?

davito

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have read alot of posts on both of these. I have a v8 non sport and I just wanted some opinions on which would be a better/more fun upgrade?
would the xcal with stiffer shifts be equivalent to the sst shifter?

Eventually I will have both with the paddle shift, but I am not sure what would be the best to start out with. I already have magnaflow exhaust,kkm intake, and intake tube from lskoncepts

I have both, the Xcal2 and the SST. If I had to do without one, it would be the SST. Since I have gotten my tranny tuned the way I like it with the Xcal2, I hardly ever use the SST anymore. This is of course my preferences, your mileage may vary. Besides, the Xcal2 will help in a lot more areas than just the transmission. :)

Thanks for your input.
I have always had a manual transmission. I am not quite used to the auto yet

I would go with Xcal, although, I don't have it, but I think it would be an improvement in overall performance and maybe shifting quality. The SST on the LSs suck. I have it on my LS and I hadly use, even if I use it for a bit I get mad and switch it back to the d5 or d4.

I have that type of tranny on my 330i and it works sooo much better than the LSs. The BMW's shifts are quick and very smooth, where the LS's are slow and hard, especially from 3rd to 2nd where you need em the most.

Thanks,
I was kinda leaning towards sst until I asked this ? to people that have had them. Is the sst not worth getting at all? Would the xcal2 be just as good as having both?

davito said:
Thanks for your input.
I have always had a manual transmission. I am not quite used to the auto yet

the SST not a manual you will be disappointed.
when we got out LS, my wife insisted on keeping the sst "cause it'll be easier to drive in the city".
After a month, she wanted me to get "that total turd of a transmission" (such words from a good catholic girl) out of her car and swap in the five speed.
And I will, when finances will allow it.

In the mean time I just listen to her curse it out everytime she drives in the city.

All I can say is, drive my LS with the new tuning and you will swear it has a totally different transmission in it. That was one of the best things about getting the Xcal2. Makes city driving a lot of fun.

JES_LS said:
the SST not a manual you will be disappointed.
when we got out LS, my wife insisted on keeping the sst "cause it'll be easier to drive in the city".
After a month, she wanted me to get "that total turd of a transmission" (such words from a good catholic girl) out of her car and swap in the five speed.
That's an argument against the 5R55N, not the SST functionality.

When in SST mode, the tranny is a clutchless sequential manual gearbox (SMG); it will not shift automatically, other than automatically downshifting to prevent stalling when coming to a stop. It's actually one of the better automanual setups, IMHO.

If what you want is a true manual tranny (as JES and I both do), then, yeah, you'll be disappointed with SST mode, because it is not a true manual transmission--you can't just select the gear you want. You only get up and down shifting control. You can hit it twice to force two downshifts (or upshifts), but you can't go directly from 5th to 3rd, f'rinstance.

If you just want better control of the transmission, having driven both SST and non-SST V8 LSes, you definitely want SST. If you're choosing SST vs. XCal, though, I'd go for the XCal; with a good tuner (like Torrie) it's going to give you the ability to address any driveability concerns you may have.

Just remember, the XCal is only as good as the guy selling you the tunes for your car. Without a good tuner, it's not worth the price of its components.

Very very well said.

I enjoy my SST - you can hold it in gear when cornering or driving a spiritedly

but the XCal is the only way to tune, perfect and increase hoursepower of
what you have. when you start bolting on mods, the XCal will enhance that.

plus - you can datalog and read/clear DTCs

HyeLifeLS said:
I would go with Xcal, although, I don't have it, but I think it would be an improvement in overall performance and maybe shifting quality. The SST on the LSs suck. I have it on my LS and I hadly use, even if I use it for a bit I get mad and switch it back to the d5 or d4.

I have that type of tranny on my 330i and it works sooo much better than the LSs. The BMW's shifts are quick and very smooth, where the LS's are slow and hard, especially from 3rd to 2nd where you need em the most.

That's interesting because after torrie and i got my tune dialed in where i wanted it my SST shifts are instant, firm, but not jerky, i love my SST when i get a little aggressive. It blows away the manumatic craptastic tranny in our Saab 9-3 Aero.

Well, I guess it's much better tuned. I have the stock one, that's why I have that opinion.

fudgedelic said:
That's interesting because after torrie and i got my tune dialed in where i wanted it my SST shifts are instant, firm, but not jerky, i love my SST when i get a little aggressive. It blows away the manumatic craptastic tranny in our Saab 9-3 Aero.

Members online

No members online now.
Back