springs and 20 inch rims

jmaydx23

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im getting ready to get my 20 inch rims sometimes this week on my black LS. I am going to want to lower it but not sure which kind to go with, I know the sprint or the springtech are the lower drop which i want to reduce the wheel gap, but if so, is there any rubbing or any problems of that sort. If any one has 20's with the springtechs could u please show me pictures so i can see what it looks like? thanks alot guys

my friend used eibach... he said no regrets.. minor rubbing..

I know this was posted a while ago, but I'm looking for the same thing. Shout out to Chamorro, what did you do for that drop? I'm on 20's but feel there is still too much of a gap. Also if you are on 20's and dropped, what size tires are you using, do I need to switch from 245/35 to 235 or 30's?

Eibach's with 18's

LS7Web.jpg

19's with Intrax 1.75" drop.

It depends on the offset of the 20's If you get 45mm or more you will be ok and wont rub lowered.

vbpgimage.jpg

ATLS said:
I know this was posted a while ago, but I'm looking for the same thing. Shout out to Chamorro, what did you do for that drop? I'm on 20's but feel there is still too much of a gap. Also if you are on 20's and dropped, what size tires are you using, do I need to switch from 245/35 to 235 or 30's?

ATLS whats the offset on your 20's?

If your offet is too low and the wheel stick out past the fender you can lower and use rubber spring helpers. You would have to put the rubber helpers in between each coil to keep the spring from compressing too much.

it's possible. i had to deal with the rubbing issue for a while. my fenders and inside the well/splashguards are all modified. i no longer have the 20's but it was almost a nitemare having to think about rubbing. in the long run its a clean look. springtech springs is what i have installed

53905.jpg

53911.jpg

51394.jpg

I'm sitting on a set of verde kaos 20x8.5 with a +38mm offset. Dead pres what size tires were you using and how low was your drop?

ATLS said:
I'm sitting on a set of verde kaos 20x8.5 with a +38mm offset. Dead pres what size tires were you using and how low was your drop?

With a 38mm offset you will definitely have rubbing isues, you will have tto get your fender lip rolled, and there is a small part that stick out right where the rear fender and bumper cover meet, will also have to bent in.

black_lincoln said:
that looks really good dead_president. you have any side shot pics of the car with the 20`s ?

there's a side shot in my signature, you might have to turn it on if you cant see it

ATLS said:

the 20s in the pic are 20x8.5 and the website advertised +45mm offset but the boxes said +43mm. tires are 245/35/20. my drop is 1.75" compared to the eibachs which are only 1"

does anyone have theres lowered with 20 x 8.5? I know offset plays a major role, but so does the width of your wheel. 20x7.5, 20x8, and so on. mine rub, when i have some big back passengers with no fender roll. View attachment 22199

Last edited:
So in other words, I should be safe if I goe with the Eibachs at 1.1" drop right? As of now I really don't have an issue with rubbing, only when I have a fully loaded car and I hit major bump in the road.

do 20's but dont lower anything.i have 255 35 20s and i rub ever so slight. only when truning all the way while going very slow

Why not 245/35's Champ? I think they mine still have too much rubber there's no way I would do 255's. So I take it that no one has eibachs with 20's and running 245/35's? I could see a 1.75" drop being too much, but that is way lower than what I'm trying to do.

ATLS said:
Why not 245/35's Champ? I think they mine still have too much rubber there's no way I would do 255's. So I take it that no one has eibachs with 20's and running 245/35's? I could see a 1.75" drop being too much, but that is way lower than what I'm trying to do.

i think vivid_ls and that guy with the huge tv upfront is dropped 1 inch on eibachs with 245`s. i may be wrong buti think they do.

with a 20x8.5 rim you need a 48mm or more offset and you cant go wider than a 245mm wide tire w/o rubbing issues.

20x8 you are ok with a 42mm offset and 245mm wide

ATLS with a 38mm offset you are really pushing it if you try lowering with your 8.5 wide wheels.

I know this is a big no no, but what about cutting the oem springs?

Dead President I have the 20" Enkei Kapones 245/35/20 tires and i was looking to lower mine 1.75" with the sprint springs did yours rub real bad or did it only rub with people in your car

it would rub with and without people in the car. If the suspension loaded real bad(from bumps, etc) in the road it would sometimes rub inside the fenderwell weatherguard. thats just the least of your worries, tho. main problem, even when its just me in the car, was when i turned the wheel and the tire is exposed to the outside of the car. the fender would sometimes rub against the top of the tire or even the edge when i was going up an incline. i learned that the 2nd nite i drove it with 20s/lowered and looked at my tire. i had to drive completely diff from stock height and stock tires. something u adjust to i guess. i did damage 1 tire but it was still drivable. all the fenders are rolled and i had to do some cutting in each fenderwell(splashguard) where it was rubbing. just so i didnt have to hear it when going over bumps. only thing i can say to people who want to lower on 20's is it's something u just have to drive on to experience. dont haul ass over bumps and inclines/declines in the road.

I really want to lower it 1.75" but it sounds like a lot of problems is there any springs that lower 1.5". I think the eibach springs make the car look a lot lower in the back than the front and my back already looks lower than the front. Dead pres your car looks sick by the way

thx, it was kind of a hassle, but in the long run was worth it. i got compliments on the car a lot.

if i could do it over again knowing what i know now, i would do it again in a heartbeat. definately make the inside fenderwell a lot cleaner then how i did it. but since it sits so low you can never see the mods inside the well.

the rims are gone now and i had them for almost a year. i would start over with a newer LS if i could. but i have other plans for now

Dead pres do you have any side pics that are closer of your car

Members online

Back