spring and shock suspension ?s

CobraConti

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know exactly why we have to use a spring conversion kit from a company like Strutmasters? Have they done anything to the springs themselves? The reason i ask, is because if i am not mistaken the Conti is basically a crown victoria. So could i not get some lowering springs for a crown vic and do my own suspension conversion kit? Or use stock crown vic springs?

Lastly, do any performance shocks fit the Conti after the springs have put on? Do the crown vic shocks fit as well???

from what i have found out when i thinking about doing mind befor i decided to stay witht the air ride
you can but
you have to trick the computer for the steering ajustment

CobraConti said:
Does anybody know exactly why we have to use a spring conversion kit from a company like Strutmasters? Have they done anything to the springs themselves? The reason i ask, is because if i am not mistaken the Conti is basically a crown victoria. So could i not get some lowering springs for a crown vic and do my own suspension conversion kit? Or use stock crown vic springs?

Lastly, do any performance shocks fit the Conti after the springs have put on? Do the crown vic shocks fit as well???

no and the conti is actually based on the taurus platform.as for tricking the computer it isnt for steering its so the check susp light stays off.

I don't know what year Continental you have, but since '88 they have been front wheel drive. The Town Car is rear wheel drive. The Town Car has air suspension in the rear only, and has "air springs" with the shocks being a totally different part. The '95 & '96 Continental however, has "air struts" in the front and "air springs" in the rear. In '97 they went with rear air only. No air suspension parts from the Town Car will work in the Continental.

yes i was wrong. Thank you for American Air-1 and aristo. Ok, so its based on the Taurus. Same question applies then. Why can't we take shocks/springs for a 97 Taurus SHO, for instance, and install those? As a matter of fact, does anybody know exactly how many parts we can rob from the SHO? Addco says they make front/rear anti roll bars for the Conti. I checked and www.summitracing.com has a part number and sells them. Oh, i have a 95 Conti.

CobraConti said:
yes i was wrong. Thank you for American Air-1 and aristo. Ok, so its based on the Taurus. Same question applies then. Why can't we take shocks/springs for a 97 Taurus SHO, for instance, and install those? As a matter of fact, does anybody know exactly how many parts we can rob from the SHO? Addco says they make front/rear anti roll bars for the Conti. I checked and www.summitracing.com has a part number and sells them. Oh, i have a 95 Conti.

the key word is based on.the conti is much more complex and much heavier the taurus setup would be hard pressed to support 4000 lbs of car,the heavy sho sway bars can be used though to stiffin her up some more.

Members online

No members online now.
Back