Speedometer off

Lincoln LS

1. LunaEros

LunaEros Active LVC Member

Just noticed using my Torque app in the car that my speedometer is off. It reads 4-6 miles faster than what I'm going. Using the speedometers in torque from the OBDII and from the GPS.
    Is there anyway to calibrate the speedometer in the dash?

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Pull the needle off and put it back on in the right place. However, this is way more difficult to do correctly than it sounds.

3. LunaEros

No other way to calibrate it, huh?

4. The ls ss

The ls ss Active LVC Member

I have the same exact thing. Speedometer reads 4, 5, 6, mph high. I just leave it, cuz it is a good excuse for when the cops pull you over........ That is IF they believe you.:)

5. LunaEros

I thought about doing that too. But I have slight OCD so I know it's just gonna stick in my craw that it's not reading correctly.

6. heyjewel

heyjewel Well-Known LVC Member

I've had mine for 20 years. Speedo always been 5mph or so high. Also odometer is high. And I've always thought Ford did it so the car's gas mileage would be inflated by about 10%. Keeps customer complaints down.

• Like Like x 1
    • LunaEros

Oddly enough the info center's MPG estimate is almost dead on. The OBD reports the right speed so I don't think it would change the odometer or mileage.
      If Lincoln did it on purpose then maybe it was so we wouldn't speed as much, thinking we are going faster than we actually are. (shrug)

• The ls ss

The ls ss Active LVC Member

The irony of it...... I got pulled over two days ago at 11:30 at night. He was going to give me a ticket, but only gave me a warning. I figured he would believe I was lying if I told him my spedometer was off by a couple mph.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1