speeding up valve cover gasket replacement

apl

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This is just a thought. I have already done my right side of the 3.9L but I still need to the other side. Would it be okay? My plan is to thoroughly degrease the valve cover itself. Then put a very thin film of high temp RTV where the valve cover gasket would rest. Then I would install the new valve cover gasket and let this set up. Once it sets and the valve cover gasket cant come loose reinstall everything. I am hoping by doing this the gasket wont slip out when I am trying to reinstall it.
Tony L.

thats what I did in '04 when I replaced my VC gaskets. Approx 100k miles later and we're fine.

I just put a small spot on the rear of the valve cover to keep the gasket in the groove. The bolts will hold the rest in place. No need to do the whole thing.

I just put a small spot on the rear of the valve cover to keep the gasket in the groove. The bolts will hold the rest in place. No need to do the whole thing.

this.. A few dabs here and there, but you can do the whole thing if you'd like.. the bolts actually hold it in place anyway, but I used RTV on the corners.

Yep, thats what I do too :shifty:

Thats what I will do, RTV corners. When I did right side I fired car up, oil leak. Lower rear corner not seated of course. If i rtv'd it I probably would have not had to remove cover and do it again.

I did one of the 6 we've done together... oh and one more mystery part came in today...hint (is was too big to fit in the trunk)

lolz, you can put the rear seats down and angle it in just right, your bumper cover will fit in.

I know what it is...its the new Flux Capacitor setup you were telling me about. I remember you saying its capable of time travel while doing 55mph instead of 88 and it runs on pump gas.

I know what it is...its the new Flux Capacitor setup you were telling me about. I remember you saying its capable of time travel while doing 55mph instead of 88 and it runs on pump gas.

CORRECT!!! But I was already the coolest cat here...

Yeah. Just let me know. Ill make myself available.

Members online

No members online now.
Back