Spark Plugs

E

ERIC1

Hey has anyone tried out those Denso irridium spark plugs yet? are they any good? have you noticed a difference?
Eric :L

Have no actual experience with them but the science behind them IS sound. As for whether you'll notice a difference, probably no more than any other new plug.

Call Max (1-800-866-1520 x 236)and get the stock lightning plugs. I have them, and run them exclusively. They are a 2 step colder plug.

1wykdmk8 said:
Call Max (1-800-866-1520 x 236)and get the stock lightning plugs. I have them, and run them exclusively. They are a 2 step colder plug.
is a colder plug better?
what do you gain from it? sorry i always thought it was a ping detonation thing i never knew you could get performance from it.
Eric

A colder plug is more resistant to detonation. Hence, timing came be advanced further for more power without ping.

The downside is that too cold a plug will foul easily depending upon driving style, mileage, etc...

I have not seen any benefits in my experience from rare metal plug construction besides longevity, but I have not tried Iridiumn and I would hesitate to call them garbage.

Back before I knew better, I ran Bosch platinums. Upon my last plug change, I went from Autolite 764 to Motorcraft AWSF-22C(copper - one step colder). My next plug change will be AWSF-12C(copper - two steps colder).

driller said:
A colder plug is more resistant to detonation. Hence, timing came be advanced further for more power without ping.

The downside is that too cold a plug will foul easily depending upon driving style, mileage, etc...

I have not seen any benefits in my experience from rare metal plug construction besides longevity, but I have not tried Iridiumn and I would hesitate to call them garbage.

Back before I knew better, I ran Bosch platinums. Upon my last plug change, I went from Autolite 764 to Motorcraft AWSF-22C(copper - one step colder). My next plug change will be AWSF-12C(copper - two steps colder).

So does that mean you can adjust your timing because in the Mark VIII it is all computer controlled. Right? :L

turn_on68 said:
So does that mean you can adjust your timing because in the Mark VIII it is all computer controlled. Right? :L

It is computer controlled through the PCM. But you can adjust the timing via a flashtune or chip or even a aftermarket timing adjuster from Steeda. The colder plugs allow more timing advance to be programmed in.

turn_on68 said:

I have the Steeda Timing Adjuster on mine......look at the blue thing that is attached to my crank pulley in this pic......

motorready2go.jpg

ERIC1 said:
is a colder plug better?
what do you gain from it? sorry i always thought it was a ping detonation thing i never knew you could get performance from it.
Eric

You can also run a lower octane fuel too and reduce the possibility of pinging......as long as you are not really looking for performance you can run the lower octane fuel.

Members online

Back