Spark Plugs

E

ERIC1

Hey has anyone tried out those Denso irridium spark plugs yet? are they any good? have you noticed a difference?
Eric :L

Have no actual experience with them but the science behind them IS sound. As for whether you'll notice a difference, probably no more than any other new plug.

Call Max (1-800-866-1520 x 236)and get the stock lightning plugs. I have them, and run them exclusively. They are a 2 step colder plug.

1wykdmk8 said:
Call Max (1-800-866-1520 x 236)and get the stock lightning plugs. I have them, and run them exclusively. They are a 2 step colder plug.
is a colder plug better?
what do you gain from it? sorry i always thought it was a ping detonation thing i never knew you could get performance from it.
Eric

A colder plug is more resistant to detonation. Hence, timing came be advanced further for more power without ping.

The downside is that too cold a plug will foul easily depending upon driving style, mileage, etc...

I have not seen any benefits in my experience from rare metal plug construction besides longevity, but I have not tried Iridiumn and I would hesitate to call them garbage.

Back before I knew better, I ran Bosch platinums. Upon my last plug change, I went from Autolite 764 to Motorcraft AWSF-22C(copper - one step colder). My next plug change will be AWSF-12C(copper - two steps colder).

driller said:
A colder plug is more resistant to detonation. Hence, timing came be advanced further for more power without ping.

The downside is that too cold a plug will foul easily depending upon driving style, mileage, etc...

I have not seen any benefits in my experience from rare metal plug construction besides longevity, but I have not tried Iridiumn and I would hesitate to call them garbage.

Back before I knew better, I ran Bosch platinums. Upon my last plug change, I went from Autolite 764 to Motorcraft AWSF-22C(copper - one step colder). My next plug change will be AWSF-12C(copper - two steps colder).

So does that mean you can adjust your timing because in the Mark VIII it is all computer controlled. Right? :L

turn_on68 said:
So does that mean you can adjust your timing because in the Mark VIII it is all computer controlled. Right? :L

It is computer controlled through the PCM. But you can adjust the timing via a flashtune or chip or even a aftermarket timing adjuster from Steeda. The colder plugs allow more timing advance to be programmed in.

turn_on68 said:

I have the Steeda Timing Adjuster on mine......look at the blue thing that is attached to my crank pulley in this pic......

motorready2go.jpg

ERIC1 said:
is a colder plug better?
what do you gain from it? sorry i always thought it was a ping detonation thing i never knew you could get performance from it.
Eric

You can also run a lower octane fuel too and reduce the possibility of pinging......as long as you are not really looking for performance you can run the lower octane fuel.

Members online

No members online now.
Back