sometimes car wont start, please help

93dohcgt

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
for the last couple weeks I've been having a problem with my 96 mark viii not starting. Usually it happens every couple days but will end up starting after about 10 mins but the other night when I was leaving work it would not start at all, just kept cranking. The next day I took a closer look and noticed it had no spark. The car sat for 2 days then last night it started right up.Just wondering if its the computer, the EDIS module, crank sensor. It could be something else . If anyone has any ideas please help.

Crank position sensor.

Located near the AC compressor on the passenger side, the crank position sensors tells the ECU when to fire spark (or EDIS). When faulty, the car will not start. However, it is often an intermittent problem when failure occurs. To find it, locate the AC compressor. Between the compressor and engine block will be a lone harness attached to the sensor where it enters the timing cover. Its a squeeze plug - squeeze to unplug. A flash light will help.

Replacement is the long term solution, however if you unplug the sensor and plug it back in, 99 percent of the time the car will start right up.

thx, I was thinking it might be that but really needed a second opinion. I;ve got a spare motor layin around so i'll remove the crank sensor to have with me just in case. thx again

cps.jpg

This post is just like the one I started. If the Crank position sensor is in fact bad, unplugging it and replugging it will not have any affect on it. How often do the sensors go bad? What would cause it?

What causes it, is simple... The sensor is made by humans, those silly little creatures who think they are masters of the universe while thinking they are perfect. I'm sure you've run into them before? alas, them humans aren't perfect, so ofcourse, nothing they make is perfect, or lasts forever.

Either that, or stuff just breaks...

:D The Banstick?!?!?!:)

I have NEVER banned a soul from this board believe it or not.
I have only ever locked 2-3 threads and gave out 5 warnings total.
Proves this board has the right people hands down.

You bet - see my recent thread... grrrrrr...

So about that sensor. Its $15 bucks if its it. Sorta a pain to replace since the AC compressor has to be moved back out of the way.

You bet - see my recent thread... grrrrrr...

So about that sensor. Its $15 bucks if its it. Sorta a pain to replace since the AC compressor has to be moved back out of the way.

Price is right and the job is simple. Take the bolts out, rest the ac compressor on the final threads of the back bolt and the compressor will swing back a bit, enough to snake out the crank sensor.

you can drop it on the k member too, the bolts are easy to line back up and reinstall.

Members online

No members online now.
Back