something's wrong with the tranny

Mike P

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So, last week I was driving the car and went around a turn and the tires spun a little but I was on the gas kind of hard, it banged into second gear and I drove with no issues. A few hours later I was going straight and I got on the gas normal from a dead start and heard a similar bang into second this time it kept hanging in first unless I took my foot off the gas or gave it more gas and then shifted around 4500 RPM, it drives fine through 2-3 and 3-4. So at the recommendation of J I changed the throttle position sensor and the throttle body gasket (cause I broke it) and it still has the sticking in first but when it comes out into second it almost faintly sounds like a belt squeal. It changes hard like if I have the performance chip setting on hard shifts. Do I need a 98 Transmission or should I take the chip out and see if that changes? Or is it inevitable. The fluid looks good and is full. Is it Mercon V, I don't know and I don't want to hear it, I haven't gotten around to changing it to be sure. The car has like 64k miles on it and is a 97 LSC. Thanks

I would pull the chip, just for diagnostic purposes... My car used to squeal before I put the gears in because it was shifting at higher RPMs than normal. It's like it slips with a lot of clamping force. So, I think the squeal is just a side effect from the late shift. Maybe a broken accumulator spring? That would cause a harsh shift but not late... Everything else working normally? The fact that it is shifting at all is good, if you lost a gear entirely, I'd tell you to prepare to grab your ankles. This may just be a solenoid problem.

It changes hard like if I have the performance chip setting on hard shifts. The car has like 64k miles on it and is a 97 LSC. Thanks

Maybe a broken accumulator spring?

Bingo, j mod time.
Your trans has low miles.
Time to pull the pan and see if the spring is broke.

If you cant do the mod yourself call Lonnie at BOC
or go to BCA
Get a valve body kit.
With a valve body kit its a simple swap.

So simple a cave man can do it ;)
http://www.bcatransmissions.com/album1_007.htm

I would pull the chip, just for diagnostic purposes... My car used to squeal before I put the gears in because it was shifting at higher RPMs than normal. It's like it slips with a lot of clamping force. So, I think the squeal is just a side effect from the late shift. Maybe a broken accumulator spring? That would cause a harsh shift but not late... Everything else working normally? The fact that it is shifting at all is good, if you lost a gear entirely, I'd tell you to prepare to grab your ankles. This may just be a solenoid problem.

Bingo, j mod time.
Your trans has low miles.
Time to pull the pan and see if the spring is broke.

If you cant do the mod yourself call Lonnie at BOC
or go to BCA
Get a valve body kit.
With a valve body kit its a simple swap.

So simple a cave man can do it ;)
http://www.bcatransmissions.com/album1_007.htm
yes thanks, I think its the accumulator spring. I'll follow up, thanks for the info about the valve body kit

Members online

Back