Some dealerships

De-marko

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My brother was kind of interested in looking for an LS, so I stopped by a used car dealership after work to check out a tan '02. It was a 84K non-sport V6, so that shot the car down instantly not to mention the price tag of $9,450. :eek:

The dealer talked to me before I popped the hood and told me it was the 3.5L V6. I smiled and said I believe it is a 3.0. The dealer became a little defensive and said, No it's a 3.5, it's the same V6 that is in the Zephyr and MKS and the V8's are the DOHC 4.6. :shifty:

I disagreed and we went back and forth a bit as I was explaining to him till he became "crotchity" and said, "Look, I have sold cars for over 22 years and I have sold more than enough Lincolns, I'm the dealer and I know what I sell". I said, "Whatever man, you need to do a little more research on this car".:rolleyes: Of course I left after that lol.

I know you guys have ran into crap like this as well. Crazy how used car advertisement and dealers get the engine wrong it seems alot. Bizarre!

You should've walked in to the parts counter with him, and tried to find the 3.5L v6 lincoln LS in the system. Then you could've pointed, laughed, and called him a dumbass.

i dont get why a salesperson would be so dumb as to argue with a potential customer in the first place. whether its arrogance or who knows, it'd be smarter on his behalf to pop the hood and see rather than piss off a potential deal. sure the majority of the public is pretty stupid, there's always the chance somebody out there knows more than you.

i would of pointed the eng size out on the emission sticker under the hood, then called him a dumbass and walk away

does he have a website...if so, find his email address on it and email this page to him

Yeah, the guys I bought my car at tried to convince me the engine was a 4.6L. All I had to do was pop the hood and show him where it says 3.9L.. then he said it was a smaller mustang engine, at that point I just gave up.

I was just thinking to myself, alright jackass, the modular engine only came in two flavors.. 4.6L and 5.4

De-mark I would have loved to prove that d%#k head wrong, right after he mentioned about his 22 year experience. They think they know it all, when they couldn't even change the oil on their own cars.

Congrats for being the better person people like that always lose in the longrun!

Yeah I'm not gonna say that ALL salesmen are pompous ignorant :q:q:q:q:q:q:qs, but definitely a good majority of them.

In a situation like that I usually find the most polite way to prove them wrong. That normally doesn't work so I have to be a jack or leave.

i would of pointed the eng size out on the emission sticker under the hood, then called him a dumbass and walk away

I would have loved to have shown him on my car to prove it to him, but my emissions decal is missing. I should have looked on his car to shown him 3.0, but we didn't even get that far. :p

does he have a website...if so, find his email address on it and email this page to him

Ha, I looked up the dealership to see if thay had a website to show you guys, but they don't have one. The place is called Trader Motor co.

most sales men knw :q:q:q:q!!! i would of def proved him wrong then told him i was going to :q:q:q:q his wife (j/k) :) but i remember a time i went to look at an LS v8, guy told us it was a 4.6 too, i popped the hood and showed him then he says "no way thats too small to be a v8, it must be a 6" i shut the hood and left.

need i say more

s33832-main_Full.jpg

I've never understood why salespeople do that crap. I've been in sales for a while now. Making :q:q:q:q up always bites you in the ass. If you don't know, just say that you don't know! There's no shame in it.

I'm in sales too. I never say I don't know. I say " let me find out for you".

Customers don't want to hear that you don't know about the product you are trying to inform them about. It's our responsibility to find the best fit for their needs, so we should be knowledgeable.

I'm not in auto sales though. Dunno what rules/ethics they go by.

But something as simple as engine displacement should be known right away.

I once had a salesdrone tell me they got horsepower by converting it from liters. Needless to say I purchased elsewhere.

wow really???? how come my mark viii with 4.6 liters has more horsepower (280 factory) than my old 5.0 crown vic (160 factory)....hahaha classic!!!!

Members online

Back