Soda Blasting my rims

mrm143

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The previous owner of my mark had the brilliant idea of painting the factory rims black....

I was looking online today, and found a guy local that does "soda blasting"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodablasting

He does them for 25 a wheel

Anyone have any experience with this, as i want to get the paint off, and have them back to the factory aluminum color

The guy is also mobil, so he comes to you and does it..
Sounds good to me, unless anyone has had any bad experiences with it...

You do know the factory wheels were painted right so you will
Need to do a new finish of some sort after the blasting

Didnt know that.... Hmmmmmmm
Can they just be polished afterward?

Havent done it yet, but want to make the car look as close to stock as possible, and the black on black IMHO doesnt look good

They are painted with a machined face. You could always powder coat them after they are blasted. Myself personally I'd have a hard time spending that much money per wheel to get it blasted and painted or powdercoated, when for a few dollars more you can upgradre to different or bigger wheels.

I personally would take some steel wool to them to clean the surface up. Then go buy a few cans of DupliColor Wheel paint, in the color as stock and then clear coat them. I have done several like that and on my wifes Mustang, I did it about 2 years ago and they still look new.

I personally would take some steel wool to them to clean the surface up. Then go buy a few cans of DupliColor Wheel paint, in the color as stock and then clear coat them. I have done several like that and on my wifes Mustang, I did it about 2 years ago and they still look new.

Those are factory lincoln rims right?

I cant find the name of the design, I like them alot, just did a crappy job of painting them, and on the black car (midnight opal) i dont like thw way it looks...

Unless someone wants to trade factory for factory.... I wouldnt mind

They are painted with a machined face. You could always powder coat them after they are blasted. Myself personally I'd have a hard time spending that much money per wheel to get it blasted and painted or powdercoated, when for a few dollars more you can upgradre to different or bigger wheels.

I start to get confused with the different sizes, i know the lug patter is 5x108?
But then when you get the rims, how do you know what tire size to get, etc...

Thats why i would stay factory for now, untill i get the car as close to 100%, then i can start to play

These are mine.

Hell, I could have gave you 4 of those for shipping and they were in good shape but I gave them to the Mexican that cleaned out the garage before restoration. I didn't want anymore clutter like it was before. When I find one more nice Octastar, I'll sell you the 10 spokes I have on my car now fairly cheap. I have one now and two more coming and I need to find one more.

Hell, I could have gave you 4 of those for shipping and they were in good shape but I gave them to the Mexican that cleaned out the garage before restoration. I didn't want anymore clutter like it was before. When I find one more nice Octastar, I'll sell you the 10 spokes I have on my car now fairly cheap. I have one now and two more coming and I need to find one more.

Damn mexicans LOL

See the wheels in the back left corner?

Fire007.jpg

Fire016.jpg

He completely cleared out the whole thing. I gave him anything he wanted except my tool boxes and compressor. Everything else went into the dumpster that was brought to the driveway.

See the wheels in the back left corner?

Fire007.jpg

Fire016.jpg

He completely cleared out the whole thing. I gave him anything he wanted except my tool boxes and compressor. Everything else went into the dumpster that was brought to the driveway.

He woulda been happy with some taco's Dammit

:eek:

The local scrapyard has them for 50 a piece i think for factories, their not yours, their the ones that are kinda spirally LOL

You are probably seeing 20 spokes. Mine are factory 10 spoke and then there is the snowflakes that you have and Octastar and chrome 10 spokes. 20 spokes also came in chrome too.

You are probably seeing 20 spokes. Mine are factory 10 spoke and then there is the snowflakes that you have and Octastar and chrome 10 spokes. 20 spokes also came in chrome too.

Yup gotta be the 20 spoke, i really dont like em, I like yours though...

:p:p:p

Members online

Back