so what now? first interior mod help

whosmikebyrd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
well i have had my LS8 for 2 months now and x-mas around the corner. i know im getting x-mas money around 600-800$ to spend and im already getting a new alarm system and darker 5% tints. i want to start from the inside out which i believe is cheapest since im 17 and not working. so where should i start? with the sound system go all alpine with type x or r subs? or tv's in dash with headrest 9"? any helpful advice is appreciated.

6-8 hundred bucks, hmm. I,d start off with a box 40, subs 200, amp 300, wiring kit 40, 580 total so far. Head Unit 220, thats 800. doesnt go very far and makes me feel a little crazy on how much Ive spent on my car.

o sorry but i also have an additional 1500 now. just want to know what kind of subs i keep hearing alpine type x is the hardest hitting with quality.i wouldnt mind spending a grand or so on a nice system or should i go flashy with tv's?

I think subs/box/HU will be the best all around $800-1300 you can spend inside the car. You will get far more use out of a good stereo than anything. IMHO...BTW I wonder how many others from Florida will chime in.

whosmikebyrd said:
o sorry but i also have an additional 1500 now. just want to know what kind of subs i keep hearing alpine type x is the hardest hitting with quality.i wouldnt mind spending a grand or so on a nice system or should i go flashy with tv's?

Instead of the HU then I would probably go with a flip-out or double din dvd player. You can easily spend 1000 to 1500 on a decent dvd player and screen. For screens you are looking at at least 500(installed correctly) for the headrest and 250 at the cheapest for some decent visor screens.

Don't waste your money on headrest TV's, thats just for show and you wont get to enjoy it to its full potential. Start off with a head unit/subs/amp. If your planning on spending upwards of 1500 on your setup you could do an in dash touch screen HU for like 400-700 depending on the quality you buy. Thats if you really want a some sort of display, although I would rather just spend the money on better subs/amp.

As far as what type of subs and amp to get, I will probably get a lot of hate for saying this, but if you want something better than what your friends have, avoid all the common name brands like pioneer, clarion, alpine etc.

Most of the shops around you will probably swear buy it and charge you an insane amount for low-mid quality products when there is better options out there.

A few good companies to look into sub wise would be
Fi Audio
Stereo Integrity
SoundSplinter

All three offer high-end subs in the same price range as the alpine/pioneer lines but give better performance.

As far as the amp goes to power them, look into Sundown or US Amps or even Rockford

You could ignore all that and go with the JL amp/sub combo but for the most part your just paying for the name, although they do make very high quality products.

As far as HU's go, do some research and read some reviews on whatever has all the features your interested in (iPod ready). Eclipse, Pioneer, Alpine make some pretty solid head units, but like I said their subs/amps lack in some areas.

Remember, you may find the subs and amp to fit your price range, but unless you know how to install the equipment yourself, plan on paying top dollar to have it installed at a shop or look around and find someone local to do it for less. You will also need to set aside money for a sub box and all the needed wiring.

I just went through all of this the hard way so I hope it helps you out some in avoiding making the mistakes I did. I ended up going with

Alpine IVA-D100 (touch screen display)
2 Fi Q12's (rated at 1000 rms, although people put more than that)
Sundown SAZ-1500D (1500 @ 1ohm or 2000 @ .5ohm)
MB Quart PC216 Components
Sundown SAX100.2
Big 3 Upgrade (Electrical System)

I couldn't be happier with the setup, the Q's hit HARD and still maintain good SQ. It's also fun when your friends ask you if you got your subs at Walmart because they have never heard of anything outside of what the local shop will sell, and then they listen to them and retract their statement. Anyways, hope all this helps and I realize for the most parts its opinionated but everyone I've talked to that has gone this route hasn't had any complaints. :D

not to hijack the thread, but mont i would love to see your system, start a new thread and post some pic!!!

myke.. Mont made some good suggestions on subs and amps, but also look into elemental designs, they make high quality stuff for alot less then name brands. Also for subwoofers ascendant audio is coming out with a new line of products. They have very personal serivce and great products. Chad is a very knowledgable and helpful guy (the owner) If your looking for stereo integrity or sundown check out www.low-hz.com they have good products. Kevin will get you hooked up at a decent price. If this is your first system on a budget i would stay away from the sundown and stereo integrity, but if your interested i can hook you up with some cheaper deals then any website can just pm me before christmas and i can get you hooked up. I would say look at and ednine.1 for the amp and maybe an fi ssd or two. Its your call and there are alot of knowledgeable people here to help. You have to keep in mind the money for upgraded electrical, wiring, and a good box. And sound deadener!!! the ls trunk has a rediculous rattle on the outside it sounds terrible, you cna hear it on the inside too. I put together and install systems for alot of different people so if you wnat send me a pm and i can price out a system for you...

Chris

personally, i would go with bose door speakers. my friend owns radioshack and got a good deal on 24 speakers and he used 6 of them and sold the other 18 to 3 of my other friends. one of them has 2 13.5 jl audio w7's another with 2 kicker 12 inch solobarics and the sound is ridiculous. i've never heard such precision. then i would go with some sort of double din. plus for subwoofers. i've been itching to get the new kicker L7's. i heard a set (2) of them 12'' and let me tell u i was more than impressed they beefed the entire sub up dramatically in all areas. although i don't know what amp they were powered by and i don't know anything bout amps anyways. with the money u've got too, u could look around and easily find a bunch of good stuff. a year ago i got 1 15'' L7 kicker and a box seperate for 350. everything brand new.

yea I guess I missed a few things but people covered it all

look into some secondskin damplifier or dynamat to stop the rattles in your trunk, and make sure you don't pay someone to do it because its one of the easiest things you can install. all you need to do is cut and stick and your done

I completely forgot about kicker, another solid company that makes more SPL oriented subs. You need to decide whether you want to just get something that is super loud or rather something that sounds a lot cleaner but doesn't get as loud.

buddyleee5 said:
not to hijack the thread, but mont i would love to see your system, start a new thread and post some pic!!!

I'll get some pics sometime this week, but I really don't have a flashy install or anything. Running the Q's out of a sealed box covered in carpet with the amps hidden behind it mounted to the backseat. Looks pretty lame actually :( but I wanted to put more money into the exterior rather than an eye catching install.

I can't believe I forgot about kicker, I guess you need to decide whether you want more SPL oriented subs or SQ. For SPL kicker makes some of the loudest subs for the money, but if your interested in SQ I would stay away. Really it all comes down to your own preference, see if you can find a way to listen to a few different subs and go from there on what you like.

Look into some secondskin damplifier or dynamat to stop the rattles in your trunk, and make sure you don't pay someone to do it because its one of the easiest things you can install. all you need to do is cut and stick and your done

nottryn to steal the thread but bose doesn't even sell vehicle speakers do they?? i think u can only get them if u buy the car equipped.

oh wow didn't even realize I double posted, I meant to hit go advanced the first time and now I can't figure out how to delete the first post

Mike,

Check out my photo garage. I went the all Alpine route and absolutely love it. I am no longer into heavy pounding bass and didnt want to shake things apart in my Lincoln.
To sum it up I got the double din W200, type R 6.5" in all doors, a 75x4 rms amp, a type R 12" sub in a custom made box, and a 300 rms older v12 amp (still had this one from my last car).

It's not all Alpine though.... the grill is from Kicker (just had to have it) and I have a 1farad cap from Rockford Fosgate. :)

You wont want to forget the video bypass and steering wheel control interface when installing the head unit. I love mine.

All summed up it cost me just under $2k including install.

Let me know if you want more details.

n8

put the money in the bank as a reserve for repairs. You'll be glad you did.

i couldn't agree more with beaups. i wish i put my 1500 in the bank and had it now. now i need the vc job done and don't have enough yet and on top if it i need new tires.

Yeah I'm not knocking the LS at all and YMMV but stuff is expensive to fix. You really want to have 1500-2K free at any given time as a reserve for repairs.

thanks for all the advice so fast. But im starting to lean towards the all alpine indash and then subs. I want to have the best sound quality with hard thumping bass . i have a 3 year 36k warranty for any problems. Are type x subs really that good or overated? i dont know if i should go with the expensive type X or cheaper type R.

as a fellow 17 y/o LS owner with no job but money goin towards it this christmas, id like to say that the first things you get with that much money are twinkies if you arnt already sitting on them already. If you already are, go purly for sound and look. i wouldnt get the tvs. its alot of money for something you can only enjoy really when your not moving. its kinda pointless i think. Id put it into rims and sound. If you really want the tvs, go for it, but id save the rest for my girl or accidents and stuff

yea 20's would look nice but i dont have 3k for TIS rims thats why im starting wiht the inside and when i get a job plus child support i can have rims in 2-3 months or jus wait for my mangoe farm to produce and have 5k easy.

id still get rims first though. your drivin down long beach and whats the first thing ladies see? the outside of your car. they couldnt even see your tvs with 5% tints. think about it...

true very true. i guess i will save up and buy some TIS 07 20's. thanks for all your help guys. i guess its go big or go home.

i've always wondered why young people (even tho im 21) go for huge ass rims the first time....seriously if u want those gold diggers or hood rats that will jump on your balls cause of the rims, go for it. but i dont understand how ur gonna get some gold diggers and then not have money to show them the fine things and ull be driving her around in a stock plain LS, go for inside, trust me, LS's arent civics where u have to go big or go home, they look great and if the inside is clean, it makes the car better

whosmikebyrd said:
yea 20's would look nice but i dont have 3k for TIS rims thats why im starting wiht the inside and when i get a job plus child support i can have rims in 2-3 months or jus wait for my mangoe farm to produce and have 5k easy.

Its all about the hook up. talk, ask, find, help others, make friends and connections. I paid 1650 mounted, balanced, locks and lugs. 1650 out the door.

Bodyshield said:
i've always wondered why young people (even tho im 21) go for huge ass rims the first time....seriously if u want those gold diggers or hood rats that will jump on your balls cause of the rims, go for it. but i dont understand how ur gonna get some gold diggers and then not have money to show them the fine things and ull be driving her around in a stock plain LS, go for inside, trust me, LS's arent civics where u have to go big or go home, they look great and if the inside is clean, it makes the car better

HAHA. I've wondered the same thiing. At 23 I have never liked the super large rims. Get the women in the car and let them enjoy heated leather seats. Its all over from there.

TheRebel said:
HAHA. I've wondered the same thiing. At 23 I have never liked the super large rims. Get the women in the car and let them enjoy heated leather seats. Its all over from there.

+1

and im speaking from experience, seeing as i had 22's on my towncar, but thats beyond the point, its just experience, you live and learn i guess

Members online

Back