So Just Got an Estimate for Overheating - Need some Advice ASAP!

myfirstlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2003 LS 3.9.
So I've attached the estimate and have a few questions. I plan to pick my car up and order these parts from Tasca and fix it myself because this dealer really seems clueless. They told me (THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE) "We need to remove the manifold to fix it and once we fix it and put it all back together it still might not be fixed so we may have to tear it down again." I told them I'll pay the diagnostic which was nothing more than them saying, "There's coolant all over."

Anyway, I started compiling the list on Tasca and had a couple questions:

1. Is part 2w9z 8575AB and RT1163 the same thing?
I ask because it's the exact same price and seems to be the same part on Tasca?

2. Does anyone know what seal RTS 1079 is? It just says SEAL on Tasca?

3. The 2w9z9439AA is a manifold gasket. First of all, I didn't think the manifold needed to be removed on the 03+ to get to the housing. Second, Why would I need two?

Estimate.jpg

Yes, you do need to remove the intake manifold on the gen II to replace the pipe that goes from the water pump to the cross-over pipe and thermostat housing. (There are some tricks with cutting down bolts to get around this, but it doesn't save any time. If you remove the manifold, you don't have to remove the throttle body.)
Use the FordPartsGiant Site to get to the exploded views of the cooling system parts for your other questions. Also, there are a quite a few threads on this forum that list out all the parts that you will need.

You need two intake manifold gaskets because there are two of them, one on the left side and another on the right side.

So this is actually a fairly reasonable price from a dealer?

Yes, it is. It may go up as they discover more parts that need to be replaced. Normally, it seems to be $900+ to do all the plastic parts in the front plus the degas.

Just look at the procedure to remove and reinstall the intake. If you know what are are doing and have all the right disconnect tools, it doesn't take long. However if you don't know or don't have the right tools, it could take you all day.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x31006.htm~gen~ref.htm

When I did mine (I also have a 2003 3.9) that I failed to order all the seals needed. My local Lincoln dealer said 3-4 weeks, and they weren't even sure if the seals they showed would be the ones I needed. My local Jaguar dealer, on the other hand, knew exactly what I needed and had them in the next day, 6 bucks for one of them and 7 bucks for the other.

... if you don't know or don't have the right tools, it could take you all day.

Lol

... and if you are doing the DCCV and Aux pump, Jag Stat upgrade on 1st Gen including an afternoon grandpa nap, it's going into day 2

GUILTY <finger up in the air> ... but what a job I did!

When I did mine (I also have a 2003 3.9) that I failed to order all the seals needed. My local Lincoln dealer said 3-4 weeks, and they weren't even sure if the seals they showed would be the ones I needed. My local Jaguar dealer, on the other hand, knew exactly what I needed and had them in the next day, 6 bucks for one of them and 7 bucks for the other.

Interesting. I thought the gen II's cooling system was different from the Jags.

The important thing was the Jag dealer got me the correct seals I needed on a next day basis where Lincoln couldn't.

Members online

Back