Snow driving in the LS

112 LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year! Do you use your LS during snowy weather? I'm curious of everyone's thoughts on this.

I've been out in the worst of it, during last years blizzard I was one of the only people who made it to work! following plows, feathering the throttle to keep momentum uphills

can be done, and it's a hell of an adrenaline rush the whole way. Because if you lose your momentum even for a second your stuck. I made it all the way back from NJ and got stuck on my corner going to slow lol

I recommend a couple of sand bags in the trunk and a bag of kitty litter!

It's that time of year! Do you use your LS during snowy weather? I'm curious of everyone's thoughts on this.

I've been out in the worst of it, during last years blizzard I was one of the only people who made it to work! following plows, feathering the throttle to keep momentum uphills

can be done, and it's a hell of an adrenaline rush the whole way. Because if you lose your momentum even for a second your stuck. I made it all the way back from NJ and got stuck on my corner going to slow lol

I recommend a couple of sand bags in the trunk and a bag of kitty litter!

I'm definitely not......275/35R19 summer tires out back = FAIL. I have driven a small RWD pickup, a Mustang 5.0 through 3 winters, and a 2000 Camaro SS through 4 winters.... I prefer any of those over my FWD Civic in the snow, actually.

Oh hell yeah! I'm in the tri-state area and I'm patiently waiting for some snow to hit the ground this winter because I'm a little bit more prepared with better tires. I got stuck in the middle of 2 slim roads last year. This will be my 2nd winter with the LS, but for some reason I feel this winter will be brisk and dry.

My 1998 Ford Contour with FWD used to handle the snow like a beast and I even took it out off road. The looks I got with a muddy grandma car were funny.

I get around just fine when I take it out. Limited slip diff + 200lbs of weight in the trunk + Winterforce tires on stock wheels.

yes i will be. I bought my car during winter last year. The worst i have ever drove in the winter was a 1970 Olds 88 with a 455 big block in it.

I dive mine in the snow and ice without too many problems. The LS is no different then any other car in the snow, just have to be careful and turn the traction control off; it's more of a hinderance then a help!!!

I dive mine in the snow and ice without too many problems. The LS is no different then any other car in the snow, just have to be careful and turn the traction control off; it's more of a hinderance then a help!!!

I couldn't agree more. On my old SS, I actually pulled off the traction control all together. It almost got me hit in the snow; it wouldn't let me even get the car moving.

yeah TC off for sure, My advancetrack wasn't working at the time anyway.

I think the 50/50 weight distrib might help because it really does loft through deep snow very well.

I couldn't agree more. On my old SS, I actually pulled off the traction control all together. It almost got me hit in the snow; it wouldn't let me even get the car moving.

Yeah exactly, just about the time I would make it up a small incline the TC would activate and stop me dead. It's pissed me off many times. :p

I tried it without blizzaks 1 time and won't do it again. I don't know how you could make it without them.

My winter set has a new set of all seasons on them (can remember what they are now), interested in how they handle.... But YES, i drive in the snow (secretly i love it....shhh) only problems i have are my driveway... funny story two years ago getting pushed all the way up my street by road crew during a blizzard... only to have the rest of my neighborhood leave as soon as they saw me being pushed...

I tried it without blizzaks 1 time and won't do it again. I don't know how you could make it without them.

haha that's the fun part about it, you have to think far ahead of where you are, and keep that big ass moving!

the v8 sounds amazing when you're feathering it!

I drove my original LS in the winter but my current one is in the heated garage with my other toys.

I've driven mine in the snow on all-season radials for a few winters.

- Traction control off
- Snow can be managed, but fuggedaboudit if you want to go uphill on ice
- You have to watch the tip-in on the accelerator, because you can break loose in an instant. I was driving into Boulder Colorado one morning, headed down a slight hill, and touched the gas, which sent me into a 180 degree spin.

I have been driving my LSs for about 7 years. All winter included. We're super lucky if my road gets plowed. I'm pretty sure we're the last on the list in my county. It's safer to rely on the 4 or 5 landscapes who plow as much off the road before they get caught . But I would take my LS over any of my previous FWD cars!!!

All Seasons (Toyo Versado LX) - Horrible and scary in snow. Got stuck a few times and barely got around in general.

High Performance Winter Tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3) - Much better, still suck in deep snow and ice.

Dedicated Snow Tires (General Altimax Arctic) - No problems at all, love them.

I will drive mine in the snow once! and there will be pics of me drifting it in a parking lot.

Got some wet and heavy snow early last week I think it was. About a 12 minute commute took well over an hour fifteen. I went to make a turn at an intersection and had to stop. I got stuck going down hill in an intersection.

Also Saw the snow start to melt on the hood so I slammed on the brakes carefully to get it off. BIG MISTAKE!!! I'm an idiot and forgot I gotta truck through it now and had to rock it a couple times to get through lol.

Didn't get stuck all last year hear on Michigan and Indiana roads. Driving at 12am during a terrible storm for Kid Rock Concert I decided to not risk it and pulled into a Meijer parking lot and wait it out.

She can handle the snow but that rear end likes to slip and shimmy around every now and then.

I will drive mine in the snow once! and there will be pics of me drifting it in a parking lot.

I did that last year at school. I was with some buddies, open the door, and campus safety is standing right next to my car in the parking space. I'm blind as a bat apparently.

im in michigan too and that storm last week was a good test for my ls and i think it performed pretty well!

I was gonna get winter tires this year but it didn't happen. I have newer 17" Eagle GT all-seasons and they suck in the snow. Always switch TC off.

I drove a MN12 Thunderbird with a V8 and all-seasons through 12 winters and it did much better than the LS. Might be the lower profile tires on the LS.

im in michigan too and that storm last week was a good test for my ls and i think it performed pretty well!

You're just a Stafford's stones throw away lol. I believe if it wasn't Warsaw's equivalent to a rush hour I would have been fine but when you have to stop in go in the wet stuff it doesn't help. It seemed as if everyone was in a state of panic.

Members online

No members online now.
Back