Snow driving in the LS

I have driven mine in the winter in Minnesota since I got the car in 2003. I do run a set of Arctic Alpins in the winter and have had no problems. Of course in MN they know how to plow the snow and the roads usually have at least one pass on them by the plow whenever I go out to drive. No problems if you know how to handle a RWD car. My LS is one of the few without TC offered (2000 MTX) and i have never gotten stuck.

I've been seriously stuck where I needed a pull only once. Last year we had some nasty snow that ended up being about a foot or so. I was headed down a street that had an incline into the gas station I needed into. I tried to keep the momentum up but the snow just started to pile up in the front plus lost all traction....so....there I sat till a guy stopped and was able to hook up and pull me into the station with his 4X4. :rolleyes:

I've used 4 Dunlop Graspics (on my third set) on mine and use it to go skiing every other weekend (NYC area to MRG).

I didn't make once. Snow was deeper than the hood. I could not make up the last hill to the lodge. I was using chains and ended up spinning and snapping one. Slept in the car and followed the plow up in the morning.

thats crazy... that would be a bad place for a coil to fail, assuming you left it running

So only one person said 200 pounds in the rear.. anyone else got some weight distribution tips because this is the first winter my LS is gonna see snow unfortunately :/ Also how in the world do i get a "profile pic" ive been trying to figure that out for a day or so and have no clue.. haha i know im a rookie.

Audio equipment in the trunk helps.

I only drive if it is light accumulation but usually any substantial amount here results in city shutdown.

This is my fourth winter behind the wheel of an LS. It's not bad I just would rather not drive it on salt snow ice covered roads. Also to keep the mileage low. So I'm looking for an aviator to buy to use for winter and long trips. I've driven one and there nice. And an auto review on YouTube says if the ls was an suv it would be the aviator. And I couldn't agree more. :) now to find the perfect one.

This is my fourth winter behind the wheel of an LS. It's not bad I just would rather not drive it on salt snow ice covered roads. Also to keep the mileage low. So I'm looking for an aviator to buy to use for winter and long trips. I've driven one and there nice. And an auto review on YouTube says if the ls was an suv it would be the aviator. And I couldn't agree more. :) now to find the perfect one.

I too thought about getting a black aviator to compliment the LS and throw a crazy system in it with some nice 20" wheels on it (i hate 20's for a car but theyre right on suv's).

Just get some autosocks.

rofl, autosocks...

i heard that they dont even work and you would be better off buying an old ass heavy chevy with a b!tchin redneck paint job :shifty:

Nice. Yea system for sure. An I already have 21" wheels picked out. They'll looks so good on one when I find it. Problem is I want the rarest of the rare aviators. Black 2003 kitty hawk Ed. With low miles and nav. The kitty hawk was a limited production model with only like 800 made. It's the only aviator with black leather. It's actually 2 toned interior which is why I love it. Black leather and tan other parts. Looks sweet. There's a nice one in Cali right now with only 55k at a good price but it's rwd. Kinda defeats my purpose for buying haha. The search goes on.

I can't wait to have it. Ive got major plans. If you were thinking of getting one and can financially pull it off I'd recommend it just make sure you get one with under 80k. Ive read alot about engine issues after 80k. But not enough to scare me away from the car completely.
I too thought about getting a black aviator to compliment the LS and throw a crazy system in it with some nice 20" wheels on it (i hate 20's for a car but theyre right on suv's).

rofl, autosocks...

i heard that they dont even work and you would be better off buying an old ass heavy chevy with a b!tchin redneck paint job :shifty:

:Beer

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Haha, those autosocks made me laugh.

In my 8 i'm hoping to get by on a full tank of gas and the stereo, if needed a 60-75lb bag of sand as well.

thats crazy... that would be a bad place for a coil to fail, assuming you left it running

I never leave it running if I'm sleeping. Bundle up if I wake up cold restart and warm up the interior.

A bad place for the engine to die would have been a trip up where I took a backroad detour and the temperature kept dropping. It bottomed out at -38F at 2 am as the fuel light came on and I found an open station for gas.

As for weight I don't use any in the trunk, other than my skis and weekend luggage.

I always wondered, why bother with adding 100 lbs of weight to your trunk, when you're dealing with a 3700 lb car. Dividing it up, each rear wheel could come up with maybe 40 lbs of added weight, while some of that weight is also distributed to the front wheels. I think the effect is more of a placebo than anything else. Of course, if you wanted to put 600 lbs of something back there, it would probably make some difference. Having the correct tread design and less width than stock size for the winter tires should be far more effective than a couple of 50 lb tubes of sand or something like that back there. In my opinion, of course.

Never had a problem with the Blizzaks (WS60) on during the past 4 winters - snowstorms and freezing rain included!

No extra weight in trunk needed.

I am late to the party.... 505hp??? What am I missing? LOL

Just thought I would share my winter driving experience.

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan currently, specifically Hancock Michigan which is the 3rd snowiest city in the U.S. with a little over 200 inches of snowfall a year.

I put some Nitto snow tires, 225/55 on the stock rims and have been getting around just fine. The area I live in is a giant valley so its very hilly and a combination of the nitto's, sst (works wonders being able to start out in 3rd or 4th), and some skillful driving I have had no problems so far. We recently got about a foot of snow in one night and I had to drive home that night, car cut through it like butter, 50/50 weight distribution really helps in corners compared to front weight biased fwd cars.

Not to mention the thrill of drifting into parking lots, the car is so much more controlled compared to the pick-up trucks I have driven.

Members online

No members online now.
Back