Smokey & The Bandit

Hi, I am new on this forum (just posted my welcome wagon intro).

Thought you might like these pictures. They are of Burt Reynolds personal Trans Am. Went up for auction when he went bankrupt and was purchased by a women in Toronto, Canada. She is now taking it to car shows as she can't drive it. The car is still in Burt's name so she can't insure or licence it. If she changes the ownership into her name it value is lost. The car is in rough shape but was neat to see.

I had a 1981 Special Edition T/A, fully loaded "T" tops, WS6 package. Had it for 3 years then some idiot decides to do a "U" turn in front of me. Hit him driver side square on. Wedged him between the door and console of his early 80's Cutlass. Have all the movies and am always looking for 455 SD T/A.

Trans Am-1.jpg

Trans Am-2.jpg

Trans Am-3.jpg

ONEBADMK8 said:
I am right off Exit 4 on the NJTP.
Never fails to amuse me how us folk from NJ identify location in the state by what exit you are on the Turnpike. Very much a NJ thing. But cheers to you, good neighbor.

re: Burt's car. Am I mistaken, or is that a '78? I seem to recall that the 79-80 had no grille and breathed from underneath. My friend had a 79 that had a mildly worked Pontiac 400 in it, and another friend with a dead stock 79 with it's original Olds 403. What an ugly engine compartment with all the smog controls! I could barely even see the engine in that thing. Nice cars, both of them but a little engine work made a huge difference in how they performed. The black 79 with the worked 400 would just blow the doors off the white stocker. Those cars also look so much better in black. My friend who owned the black 79's father had a red 78 with a beat Chevy 350 from a pickup and a bad transmission. Red isnt a bad color on those either, but the sin of putting a smallblock Chevy truck engine into a sports car is nearly unforgivable.
If you couldn't tell, I'm somewhat a GM guy.

codewize said:
Me too. One of my favorite movies. Even today, it's fun to watch. I don't think most women understand it though. The word childish and dumb usually come up

This woman understands it totally! :Beer One of my favorite movies of all times. :dj:

"You can't kick that high cricket crotch."

"There is NO WAY you could have come from my loins.......and when we get home, I'm gonna put a big lump on your momma's head."

Interesting you should ask because I was looking at that also. I thought the honycomb style grill was only on the 76 Formula and TA. Even the standard Firebird didn't have it. In 77 and 78 they used a different pattern and in 79 there was no grill.

I had a 76' Formula and researched a little, finding that it was the only year with the squared off double scoops on the hood and the honycomb grill. Those were the signiture items of 76'. The 76' I think was an odd unique year because I had a dealer offer me $2000 for the hood, as he stood there with tools in hand.

Incidently the 78' TA was the car used in the original movie.

gadget73 said:
re: Burt's car. Am I mistaken, or is that a '78? I seem to recall that the 79-80 had no grille and breathed from underneath.

I have a friend that had a Cameo white 1973 SD 455 T/A. Great car, unfortunately he had to sell it because he needed the cash. I think it went for $35,000, they are collectible cars indeed.

SD 455 Trans Am

Members online

Back