Slightly Uneven Tread Wear

esalomander

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I threw the 20's back onto the LS today (looks GREAT :D )

Anyhow, I unfortunately had to drop $320 on 2 new tires in the process. It was realy odd the tires didn't have more then 15k on them, but the "inner" tread was wore down and the tread wear bars were showing (showing in the middle).

Is this normal to only get around 15-20k miles on low pros? Also, is there anything with the suspension I should be looking at/repairing since there was "inner" tread wear?

Thanks!

It could be because of overinflation of the tires. Or maybe underinflation. I think it's the former.

If the current tires are NOT the same diameter and width the alignment changes between them due to the difference in offset and the weight distribution. HHHHUUUU! Sorry had to breathe again. Align when you change suspension geometry.

If the current tires are NOT the same diameter and width the alignment changes between them due to the difference in offset and the weight distribution. HHHHUUUU! Sorry had to breathe again. Align when you change suspension geometry.

Thanks for the advice, but here is the odd thing. The alignment was done with my 20's on the vehicle and they wore uneven. However, the 17's that I pullled off today had totally normal tread wear over the winter months.

I will try another alignment and have them check out the front suspension in the process.

Also remember the age old rule. You have to pay, to play. Rotate at every oil change [you do change it at 3,000 right] and stay away from directional rubbers if you want longevity.

wear on the inside would indicate either toe out, or negative camber.

Is it lowered?

just bought an '03

first noob post, BUT, I also have inner tire wear, though I bought the car used and it has different tires front/rear (fronts are new) and I'm not sure if the front tires have been swapped to the rear (that's what I suspect)

So - coupl'a questions.

It's a stock '03, v6, stock wheels and shocks

1) can the rears also be camber-aligned? If not, is inner tire wear unusual on the rears? wear is even on both tires, so not associated with a specific side.
2) I'm used to fwd - they generally have no camber adjustment - does the LS and is inside tire wear normal or unusual for a 65k car? No idea if it's ever been aligned and again, both tires have the same level of inner tire wear which suggests this is "normal" (albeit not optimal). If the front is not right, what components should be examined? shocks? ball joints? LS just need to be aligned often?

Thanks....I'm used to flames when I first post. I did not see this as one of the top issues in the "owners manual":D

Members online

Back