SilverStar Ultra Headlights

97 Ivory Pearl VIII

See somethin' shiny?
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra replacement headlight bulbs? I'm thinking of getting a pair for my Navi. I had a pair of the regular Silverstars on my '98 Expedition and really liked the performance and how they looked. The Ultras are supposed to be even brighter and whiter.

The local AutoZone has them at retail, $49.95/pair. I've seen them as cheap as $44.95 online, but I've just started searching.

really if your gonna spend $50 on just fancy bulbs, I wouldn't suggest it. I have heard people getting HID kits for $80 but its worth the price. (just 30 more)If you are going to change them just go with HID, you are going to be much happier.

That's another way to go, I suppose. The HIDs on my '97 Mark were great. Is there an HID conversion kit available for the '99 Navi?

Like I said before though, I had the SilverStars on an Expy and they didn't just look good, they actually were brighter and whiter. And besides, the extra $30 would put almost a quarter tank of gas in my ride...woo-hoo!!!

from the pictures I see online, they have a blue tint to them. (Sylvania Silverstar Ultra ) that blue tint actually reduces light output and they are nothing but to show the you have fake HIDs. I have spent alot of money buying these bulbs in the past and I thought it made a differcence (because I think I wanted them to) but after an year I changed them back to the orginal, the stock bulbs were actually brighter to me.

If you think they made difference in your expedition, then try them out but from personal experience, it not as good as they may sound.

Edit: I have heard good things about HIR bulbs, so I would try those before these silverstar

I put the SilverStar Ultras on my 2005 Navigator. They are definitely whiter, but not a lot brighter. For a time, I had 1 stock headlight in and 1 SilverStar Ultra. I could not tell a significant difference in brightness during driving.

That said, I do like the look better. They don't look like HIDs, but they are nicer than the "standard" yellow. If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the Ultras (~$45 for a pair) to replace working bulbs. I probably would if I already needed new bulbs.

Bottom line? If you have the money, and you need a replacement bulb, go for it. Otherwise, not much difference in driving visibility between "stock" headlights and the SilverStar Ultras.

Now, replacing the fog light bulbs with a "different" bulb and reaiming them to really light up the road is a different story... :)

Anyone have any experience with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra replacement headlight bulbs?

pick up a set for my surburban, and they lasted a month. Called the company adn was told that they cant do anything for me.. Last time I spend 50 dollars for a set of bulbs :mad:

Im not big on the silverstars, they dont seem to last near as long as a regular set of bulbs. They are a little bit brighter, but with the increased replacement rate i dont think they are worth it. As everyone has said, i would just buy a HID kit.

Members online

Back