Shut off at 50 and won't start again.

My8isa98

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone and I am honered to be a part of your web site.You gentleman have saved my a** at least 5 times already. PLEASE PLEASE anyone!!The other night I was driving to work and at 40 miles an hour my car just died.The engine shut off but all the power stayed on.It stalled out.It has done this once before in the past but I coasted to a stop and it restarted. This time it would not go.I killed the battery and let it sit and walked home. I went the next day with 2gallons of gas and some jumpers and no go.I got it towed home and checked every fuse twice. There is a diode in the engine fuse box I dont know how to check it,it says pcm.My message center says check traction control, fuel flow data error,gear indicater error,engine temp data error.I pluged my reader in and it cannot link to the car I have tied it 10 times. I bought a cam and crank sensor and nothing.I also wired the fuel pump and get almost 40 with key on.No start with hard wired fuel pump.I dont here it cycle upon first key turn.The green anti theft like blinks continuos once it doesnt start. Should I try a new eec???? Anyone out there that can help PLEASE.

My vcrm died out mine. Did you smell anything? I
You said I wouldn't turn over?

Hi. Start simple on this one. Don't throw parts at it.

If you can.'t get comms with the PCM there is a power or earth supply problem to it. Check all feeds and earths to it before condemning anything.

Andy

Thanks everyone so far. I replaced cranks sensor and cam sensor.I only put gas in to rule out any gauge issue. What is earth? HELP!!!!!

Thanks everyone so far. I replaced cranks sensor and cam sensor.I only put gas in to rule out any gauge issue. What is earth? HELP!!!!!

Ground wires! Earth, same thing. Don't ignore that post I linked you to and don't throw a new PCM in it either until you have ruled out a short, bad relay, etc. as stated in the post I linked you to. Read what Frankie X said. Just because a scan tool does not link to your PCM does NOT mean the PCM is necessarily bad. One thing we know for sure is that your PCM is not being energized.

And for what it's worth, your fuses can have a very small break that is very easy to miss. I had it happen to me. I would encourage you to re-check your fuses. Possibly even hold a flashlight up to them and look very close.

Alright,Thanks everybody! I am going now to check the earths/power supplies.(thanks Andy the link has got some good leads for me to follow)and I think the computer must be powering up because it powers my scan tool.There is no battery in it.Or is that power supply on the plug come from some thing different?I also am trying to make sure a base model eec will work (even temporary)on the LSC??Anyone ever tried or know if it will work.A junk yard about an hour away has a LSC computer.They say there is no interchange between the two that they think would work.I can get the 98 base from ZMT cheaper but I'm afraid to wait for his to come and it not work on my model. Im broke right now because of the DENTIST!!Thanks I hate to keep dragging this post outguys,but I'm really stuck!!

You can probe the EEC harness connector to make sure the EEC is getting power. The pins are here listed with what color wires:

Pin 55 - Yellow - Keep Alive Power (Power all the time)
Pin 71 & 97 - Red - Vehicle Power (Power on with ignition on)
Pin 24, 51 & 103 - Black/White stripe - Power Ground

here is the catch code off the one i pulled today for you.
141.jpg

142.jpg

Well so far no luck .I get power to the computer. ZMT325 hooked meUP.Anyone needing anything should contact him.He's got a 98 he's parting out.He's a good dude.As soon as I get it I'll post what happens.Thanks so far everyone.

ITS Fixed

Alright,First,Thanks everyone.So get this, I took the car to a local electronics shop.Somwhere in this cars life someone used a fuse tap, the kind that stick into the fuse slot .Ford actually did this with the cruise control fix.So the fuse tap actually opened the contacts in the box and they where not touching the fuse.So thanks for everyones help and check your interior fuse boxes if you have those taps don't take them out cause it will leave the prongs inside srtetched open and cause a intermitent contact.I can't figure out why it died on the way to work just cruzin but it did.Thanks

Ford never used fuse taps with the cruise fix, it would be aftermarket or a crappy dealer doing something esle... Good you got it fixed though :)

Alright,First,Thanks everyone.So get this, I took the car to a local electronics shop.Somwhere in this cars life someone used a fuse tap, the kind that stick into the fuse slot .Ford actually did this with the cruise control fix.So the fuse tap actually opened the contacts in the box and they where not touching the fuse.So thanks for everyones help and check your interior fuse boxes if you have those taps don't take them out cause it will leave the prongs inside srtetched open and cause a intermitent contact.I can't figure out why it died on the way to work just cruzin but it did.Thanks

And you went ahead and bought that PCM anyways. :rolleyes:

!!

Yes I am in Erie.Pa.My local Lincoln dealer used two wire taps in my box.The parts changer(not mechanic LOL) said it was the easest way to fix.It wasnt the cruise it was the headlight retrofit.My grandmother had this car since new! I have since takin them out.And,No i screwed up the paypal transaction when I sent to ZMT.Wrong address so while I was waiting for paypal to refund my maney I decided to let this shop look at the car.So I never got the computer.Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Back