Shout To ILLS

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'd like to borrow your expertise---I'm planning to use a slightly hybrid engine electrical harness when I install the four litre Jag engine in my LS. The hybridization is necessary, as near as I can figure, due to the presence of the sensors in the Jag engine for the VVT. That's the background.

I studied the available engine control systems as I was planning this project. Although there are several aftermarket systems that would work, it was suggested several times that the factory system might be able to handle what I was trying to do.

I talked to the guys at SCT and they quite offhandedly told me that they had the capacity in their software to take care of the additional inputs and integrate them with the existing computer. Computer stuff is largely a mystery to me. And you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. Do you think I'm on the right track?

And as a second question, am I better off using the LS harness, and adding the wiring for the additional sensors, or using the Jag engine harness, and doing an integration at the disconnect point close to no. 4 cylinder?

Thanks for your expertise!!!

KS

which heads / cams are you using?

The LS uses a continual variable cam timing - the jag uses a 'one-step' adjustment setup.

Quik, the only thing I can tell you is that the Jag VVT is completely mechanical, and built into the cam sprockets. I'm told that there is 48 degrees(!!!) of variation. The sensors go into the tops of the cam covers.
KS

<edit> I'm using 4 litre Jag heads and cams. Heads will be Extrude Honed and fitted with titanium valves and valvetrain components. Cams will be reworked by Comp Cams. KS

Last edited:
Note to ILLS---
I'm bumping this to be sure it has a chance to come to your attention.

Thanks!!! KS

this is interesting.... im wondering if a second gen set of heads would work for ya with the 2nd gen harness

Offhand, I'd think that using Gen2 stuff will just complicate things further. I have the Jag harness, and, of course, the '02 harness is in the car.

Does anyone have ILLS's phone number? He might not visit here very often since he got rid of his LS. I'd really like to see what he has to say regarding the question above.
KS

I would keep your stocker harness and adapt the Jag clips to them for any electrical items that may have a different style of clip connector. This will keep wiring to a minimum because your stocker harness is already plugged into the rest of your vehicle. For instance the COP clips may be different on the Jag engine but are still probably the two wire design like the LS is. That should be an easy swap. Same with allot of the other sensors such as CPS, OPSU, FRPT, and on. I haven't looked at the wiring pinout similarities and differences between your LS and the Jag whose engine you are using but I doubt they are considerbly different when it comes to the basic wiring configuration.

If I were you I would just eliminate the VVT. You aren't going to remain N/A with this vehicle anyways so it is not like you will be lacking for power. It will also assist in keeping things simpler and much more durable too. Install solid sprockets, then time it and then make sure you degree all of the cams too. I degree the cams in all of my high horsepower build vehicles.

The guy at SCT was correct. Such things as cylinder displacement will have to be changed to reflect the different displacement of the new engine but most others will remain the same. Of course just as with any new mod combination full AFR and Spark recalibration will have to take place but that is a given. I do not recall what your plans for the transmission was so I cannot speak to that right now of course.

Thanks! Although I've had several conversations with SCT, I was left with the feeling that perhaps I'd not explained well enough what I was intending and we were, therefore, at cross purposes. I have, as I've said here, great faith in your expertise. And since you are an SCT tuner, who better to be able to put my unease to rest.
KS
<edit> Do you have any suggestions as to how to lock out the VVT? (It's something I was already considering). Any input from Quik would also be very welcome! KS

Thanks! Although I've had several conversations with SCT, I was left with the feeling that perhaps I'd not explained well enough what I was intending and we were, therefore, at cross purposes. I have, as I've said here, great faith in your expertise. And since you are an SCT tuner, who better to be able to put my unease to rest.
KS
<edit> Do you have any suggestions as to how to lock out the VVT? (It's something I was already considering). Any input from Quik would also be very welcome! KS

Eliminating the VVT should consist of going into the System Switches section of the tune for your LS and setting the Variable Cam Switch from 1 (meaning active) to 0 (meaning disabled). Then just have your cam sprocket hardware reflect this with a solid sprocket versus adjustable one. I wish I could go into more detail but it is hard to accomplish without having your Jag engine in front of me to take a look at to see the mechanics of VVT system from it. The swap to solid state should be simple enough though.

I had an idiot moment there. Ok an idiot day apparently. I forgot that you have a Gen1 LS so you will not need to turn that system switch off in the tune. All other stuff will be the same though.

ills

ILLS
me and cody cant wait till you relocate to gulfport we are in dire need of sts turbos, 4:10 swaps and what not.

btw if you need help moving hit us up we still have plenty of vacation time.

ILLS
me and cody cant wait till you relocate to gulfport we are in dire need of sts turbos, 4:10 swaps and what not.

btw if you need help moving hit us up we still have plenty of vacation time.

Just a little over two weeks before I will be arriving down there. ;)

Are you going to be MSLS?
KS

And here I thought I was going to be unique. Thanks for stealing my thunder Ken. ;) Hehe. The name is staying the same. I only plan to be down there for about 3 years and then back to IL again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back