Should I buy and install the OEM factory GPS Navigation system?

baby17

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to buy the OEM Navigation system for my 2005 Lincoln LS. I went to the Lincoln dealer and they told me to get the aftermarket GPS by Pionner. THey showed me the PIoneer GPS, but i didnt like the model. I like more the factory navigation. Should I buy and install the OEM factory GPS Navigation system?:confused:

Many had told me to buy the aftermarket one because it is more easier to install it, but I just dont like it. It doesnt convince me!

I'd go aftermarket. There are alot of different brands that make good navigation/stereo units. They are cheaper and alot easier to install, especially if your car did not come stock with GPS.

Trying to install an OEM system should convince you to go aftermarket. If you don't want to take my/our word for it, by all means, go for it.

Trying to install an OEM system should convince you to go aftermarket. If you don't want to take my/our word for it, by all means, go for it.

Do you or anyone knows what they charge to install a OEM Navigation system?

I'll go out on a limb and say that they'd charge waaaay more than it is worth.

No, our (my) factory Nav sucks. Go aftermarket.

It will cost you about $3200 to have the dealer install the factory Nav unit, that is if you can find a dealer to do it. That is why they recommend the aftermarket unit. No dealer will do the factory unit install. Good luck.

I would have to agree with the guys my brother wanted the OEM GPS Navigation system and the dealer here wanted to charge him with $$3500 so he found a nice GPS Navigation system for $900 and is way better than the OEM he'll install it soon ,I'll post pictures when he install it :) .

Last edited:
I have the factory nav, and I vote for the after-market. The factory nav is feature poor compared to most of the after-market units.

+1 on what all the guys are saying. there are so many good double dins out there that i'm sure one will interest you. plus, it's a lot cheaper

Pioneer Avic D3 is a solid unit..a great deal for the price, and it allows you to change the units lighting (buttons) to match the factory green. get the faceplate and the adapter/interface to keep your steering wheel controls intact, and you've got a deal. it's an almost stock looking setup

If I buy the Pioneer GPS/Navigation system, do I have to take out the 6 CD stereo from the car? or how does this work? :confused:

Yes. This thread will help. The Pioneer is NOT just a GPS/Nav. The Avic (as well as almost all other in dash nav units) is Am/FM, CD, DVD, XM, Sirius, Ipod interface, and basically...a lot more.

Step up your game, player. ;-)

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=29444&highlight=avic

I love this unit! Its a better looking model than the one that they showed me at the dealer!!!!
If I buy the Pioneer GPS/Navigation system, do I have to take out the 6 CD stereo from the car and installed a 1 cd stereo? or how does this work?

I love this unit! Its a better looking model than the one that they showed me at the dealer!!!!
If I buy the Pioneer GPS/Navigation system, do I have to take out the 6 CD stereo from the car and installed a 1 cd stereo? or how does this work?

Do you have a pic of the unit? or where can i look at it to find the details? Which model fits on a 2005 Lincoln LS? Do you have the part/model number?

are you talking to yourself? lol.

I assume you are speaking of the Avic D3? Do a google search..a pic of it is..everywhere. What year is your LS? My 2000 had the cd changer in the glove box...my 2002 had the CD changer built into the factory headunit in the dash. So to answer your question...you dont HAVE to remove the 6 cd changer if its in your glovebox, but you HAVE to remove the 6cd changer if you have the model where the CD changer is built into the headunit. THe avic D3 has a single CD slot built into the unit, but can also control an optional Pioneer CD changer. I personally have never even used a CD in my D3, as I have the Pioneer Ipod cable routed to the inside of my glovebox, and keep my Ipod in there at all times. My ipod contains my entire music collection, so I have thousands of songs at my fingertips at all times. And thats not including the XM radio option I also have with the Avic. And I also have music videos on my Ipod..and yes, you can play music videos on the headunit from the Ipod.

For more details on the Pioneer Avic D3, go to Pioneer's website and/or www.avic411.com. I was contemplating upgrading to the nw Pioneer F90..but early reports show a LOT of bugs.

are you talking to yourself? lol.

I assume you are speaking of the Avic D3? Do a google search..a pic of it is..everywhere. What year is your LS? My 2000 had the cd changer in the glove box...my 2002 had the CD changer built into the factory headunit in the dash. So to answer your question...you dont HAVE to remove the 6 cd changer if its in your glovebox, but you HAVE to remove the 6cd changer if you have the model where the CD changer is built into the headunit. THe avic D3 has a single CD slot built into the unit, but can also control an optional Pioneer CD changer. I personally have never even used a CD in my D3, as I have the Pioneer Ipod cable routed to the inside of my glovebox, and keep my Ipod in there at all times. My ipod contains my entire music collection, so I have thousands of songs at my fingertips at all times. And thats not including the XM radio option I also have with the Avic. And I also have music videos on my Ipod..and yes, you can play music videos on the headunit from the Ipod.

I have a 2005 Lincoln LS. Do you know if it fits? DO you have pics of the AVIC D3 on your Lincoln LS? I want to see how it looks!!!!

All LS's use the industry standard Double Din (the taller radios) sized head units. So yes, any double din sized head unit (including the Avic D3) will fit in your 2005 LS. I thought I posted pics on here awhile ago, but cant find them. This thread however, does have pics of the Avic and a few other aftermarket nav-enabled head units installed in LS's.
By all means..check out different brands models..dont just go with a D3 because I (and some others) went with the D3. I went with it because at it's price point, it had all the features I wanted.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=42934&highlight=avic

By the way..I hated Ipods before I got the D3. Overpriced. But I soon found out that half the electronic world caters to Ipods..and NOT to other portable Mp3 players..so, Ipod it was/is.

All LS's use the industry standard Double Din (the taller radios) sized head units. So yes, any double din sized head unit (including the Avic D3) will fit in your 2005 LS. I thought I posted pics on here awhile ago, but cant find them. This thread however, does have pics of the Avic and a few other aftermarket nav-enabled head units installed in LS's.
By all means..check out different brands models..dont just go with a D3 because I (and some others) went with the D3. I went with it because at it's price point, it had all the features I wanted.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=42934&highlight=avic

Sorry, i may sound stupid, but what is a double din sized head unit? u mean that the 6 cd changer and the Pioneer GPS system can both fit there? or how does the double din works?

can the Pioneer GPS be on the front of the 6 CD changer with the double din? like how they installed it at the Lincoln factory?

What is the difference (beside the size of the screen) of the Pioneer AVIC D3 and the Pioneer AVIC Z3?

can the Pioneer GPS be on the front of the 6 CD changer with the double din? like how they installed it at the Lincoln factory?
No, it can't, and that's not how they did it at the factory--they didn't just stick a GPS face on the 6-disc changer, they put in a completely different head unit. That's also the way it will be with the Pioneer unit: your factory 6-disc head unit will be removed and the Pioneer unit will be installed in its place. If all you want to do is add GPS/Navigation, it'd be far more cost effective to buy a Garmin Nuvi and call it good.

What is the difference (beside the size of the screen) of the Pioneer AVIC D3 and the Pioneer AVIC Z3?

Not to offend, but you'd benefit greatly from stopping by your local Best Buy or Circuit City and actually looking at their displays to learn firshand what Double Din size is, how a headunit is installed into an opening, that faces from one unit dont just go on another unit, etc. After you get the basics down, I think we can better assist you from there. But the short answer is..your entire stock head unit comes out, and the Pioneer (or whatever double din sized headunit you have) goes in. Also, you can learn a lot from this site..www.crutchfield.com. Their prices are a bit on the steep side, but they have outstanding customer service.

Heres some pics of my install. it wasnt the Nav unit but its the exact same specs as a Pioneer AVIC or any other ddin. This will help you see what we are all talking about. But for God sake man, Dont get OEM. Thats like buying a supercharged cobra and pullying off the supercharger. good luck

Members online

Back