Should I Buy a 1996 Mark VIII

jtmforever

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a opportunity to buy a 1996 Mark VIII. I know that if the IMRC system malfunction, I"m going to have a difficult time finding the parts for it. Do you think it's worth buying this year even though it has less than 100k miles?

if the IMRCs malfunction, (mine at 190k have not FWIW) you can install 93-95 IMRC vacuum controllers and use a programmer to turn off the check engine light, if it comes to that.

Which is what? $300 for a tune.. Plus the 96 has a few more 96 specific pieces ..
Personally, owning and maintaining any Mark VIII is rather troublesome, but a 96 is going to probably be the trickiest when those rare parts do fail.

^^^i agree after owning a gen 1 and then going to a gen 2 there is no comparison. I didnt really like the looks of the gen 2 compared to gen 1 but the interior is so much nicer and the exterior really grow on me. Now i prefer gen 2's

+1 on price and condition....I have two 96's and have replaced one IMRC thus far, I also have two backup PCM's and VCRM's ..the computer and fan relay, one year only parts...I've never had a gen 2, but I like whales
silver gen 2.jpg
----
orca.jpg

silver gen 2.jpg

orca.jpg

Even with all the knowledge I have gained from this site, I still want a 96.

I love my 97 and prefer the Gen II, but always have wanted a Gen I, but it would have to be a 96 due to emissions rules here, anything pre 96 has to go every year and put on the rollers and sniffed. 96 and newer get plugged into the OBD-II port and you can get plates for 2 years.

I almost bought a 96 with a bad transmission to put in the transmission from my wrecked 97 Cougar, and should have, but I already have too many projects, and don't like others working on my cars, as they generally come back in worse shape somehow.

I had a '96 for over 10 years and loved it. The only thing I had to replace that was specific to that year was the VRCM. I also replaced all 4 air springs while I had it. I ended up selling her with 360k+ miles when the future ex got her '96 Cobra vert. Here in NC, we don't have any emissions inspections on pre-'96 vehicles. It's basically a visual inspection and $13 bucks and you're done :) But good luck with it. I loved my '96 a LOT! And I really miss it today. Although my '95 is essentially the same car without the OBD-II computer.

I'm really considering my second to be a 96. I love my Gen 1 but I really want ODB-II. The 96 LSC I had bought for parts was beautiful and now I want one.

^^^i agree after owning a gen 1 and then going to a gen 2 there is no comparison. I didnt really like the looks of the gen 2 compared to gen 1 but the interior is so much nicer and the exterior really grow on me. Now i prefer gen 2's

You can always do a nose job. Not too hard really

Can always do a Gen II interior swap as well.

It's all a matter of your skill level and or bank balance. I'm keeping a '95 Thunderbird Super Coupe (70K) alive and I know about hard to find parts. I also have a 454/TH350 "83 RX-7 so I know you can do the impossible if given enough time and money. The main thing is are you going to have it as an only car, daily driver or will you have something else as a back up for those times it's "down" needing something ??

83 RX-7 hood off.JPG

83 RX-7 454.jpg

It's all a matter of your skill level and or bank balance. I'm keeping a '95 Thunderbird Super Coupe (70K) alive and I know about hard to find parts. I also have a 454/TH350 "83 RX-7 so I know you can do the impossible if given enough time and money. The main thing is are you going to have it as an only car, daily driver or will you have something else as a back up for those times it's "down" needing something ??
That rx-7 is badass....:cool:

I've picked up some spares if mine ever needs em, but (knocks on skull) I've had little issues with it. My next one will be a Gen 2. Wish I had the extra cash as there is a 97 85K mile black on black local for $3100 obo.

It's funny how ppl are still divided amongst Gen 1's & Gen 2's. I'm not even going to bother explaining. I've owned both. 3 Gen 1's & 4 Gen 2's. They are both a PITA & they are both very rewarding. It's a HUGE mix. You better love them or you will hate them, lol.

After thinking long and hard, I concluded that I'm going to purchase the 1996 mark viii. It only has 68k so I think I made a good choice. The only problem is that the headlight's reflective material is a little burned. Does anybody on this forum refurbish the headlights.

After thinking long and hard, I concluded that I'm going to purchase the 1996 mark viii. It only has 68k so I think I made a good choice. The only problem is that the headlight's reflective material is a little burned. Does anybody on this forum refurbish the headlights.
-----
congrats on the purchase; post pics?
---
headlights are the biggest problem for gen 1 marks; there's a few guys here that are experts at doing it, but I don't think they advertise it as a offered service; refurbishing them is a job you can do yourself, even I did it. The best way is to heat and remove the lens, then cut lots of little pieces of Trim Brite tape to resurface the buckets, then reattach the lens and polish...I cut my lens off with a dremel, but that's hard to do real clean; I've heard of some headlights crackin when overheated, then they're trash; unfortunately I messed up the lens on mine after re-assembling- dry buffed it too much, overheated, the clear lens got hazed...oops
----
you can also do an aftermarket HID conversion for lows and highs, or just lows

Members online

No members online now.
Back