Short Blocks

centason

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am not new to the performance world, but I am new to Ford/Lincoln. Are all of the short blocks the same for the 3.9L V8's? I know there may be small differences, but will the heads bolt up to say an '06 block? I already know that no newer gen swaps are possible without a ton of cash, just looking to find a block with low miles, and most of the newer models have lower miles. Thank you for the reply. Quicker to get an answer this way. I know about the search button, not new to forums, lol. I have some stuff coming that will add some aftermarket support because most companies save their custom work in a library for future reference. I'm not going to post what I am doing yet because I do not know the results that they will produce. I'm not one to say HEY look what I'm doing, and then it fails epically. I am one to test, test, test, and then provide results. I am not new to engine building, but again Ford's are not my strong point. My life has been in Toyota. Mostly old school 7MGTE and 5MGE, so this is all new. Thank you for the replies in advance.

I can't be sure....
like you said - certainly there are a number of mounting differences:
- as the accessories are different and in different locations
- some of the sensors are different (not sure how much)
but as for a block swap from a Gen2 to a Gen1...don't know.

I wouldn't think that the acc difference is going to make a difference. Some rerouting isn't the issue. Just a gen one block to a gen 2 swap. Different mount area may mean a hybrid belt, but companies do those all the time

The intake manifold should fit due to the fact that they will be gen 1 heads. All other sensors should remain the same for the head. I know that the timing chains are all the same, as i have been looking at kits, and they will fit 00-06 V8s, so the fitment should be close to exact. Just like Ford though to make an unswappable ECU between gens. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't think that the acc difference is going to make a difference. Some rerouting isn't the issue. Just a gen one block to a gen 2 swap. Different mount area may mean a hybrid belt, but companies do those all the time

Unless you've converted your hydraulic cooling fan to electric, you may find it will make more of a difference than you expect.

I'm planning on upgrading the alternator to 200 amp and a deep cycle battery, so electric fans can be done. Just want the short block that's it. I have the rest or can source it deeply discounted. Thank you for your input. From what I've seen you know your stuff, so any input is appreciated from you.

Members online

Back