Shopping for a replacement Mark VIII

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I totaled my 96 recently, pretty sad in that I had it twelve years and did a ton of repairs and improvements to it- oh well. Now that reality has set in I realize I don't want a different make or model. I want another mark- probably a Gen 2, maybe an OBD1 gen 1. I'll use this thread to get feedback on how to be a smart shopper and avoid buying a money pit. All feedback and tips are appreciated

Contestant #1
98 LSC Red with gray int; 108k; coil conv; needs BDA; seller says:
"air ride was replaced with shocks/ struts so traction control stays off"
is there any validity to this or is he confused or dishonest? is this an indicator the ABS needs troubleshooting repair?

I have coils and every take off and 2-3 shift traction control takes over. I disable it and built an automated way to disable it every start up.

I don't know what they mean.

I have coils and every take off and 2-3 shift traction control takes over. I disable it and built an automated way to disable it every start up.

I don't know what they mean.

what year is your Mark? I had springs on both my 96s and never saw a connection to the traction control being on/off

There's nothing about the air ride that would disable traction control unless someone knocked the sensor out of place while installing those springs.

There's nothing about the air ride that would disable traction control unless someone knocked the sensor out of place while installing those springs.
on a gen 2 would that also cause an ABS light to stay on? When I had ABS DTC's on my 96s they made the TC *off* light stay on and the dash ABS light stay on

on a gen 2 would that also cause an ABS light to stay on? When I had ABS DTC's on my 96s they made the TC *off* light stay on and the dash ABS light stay on

The traction system is simply modulated ABS that the computer employs on its own. If the ABS system isn't working then the traction system has nothing to work with.

If they're saying that the system worked, then they put springs on it and it didn't work anymore, I guarantee you at one of the wheels you'll find a broken sensor or a ripped/stretched sensor wire.

I am not sure about earlier years, but Gen II is all speed ABS and engine management, but if there is an ABS fault it will be disabled. I know that in my 2000 Grand Marquis in some cases only the low speed ABS controlled traction control is disabled (if you over heat the rear brakes).

I often trigger high speed traction control at freeway++ speeds in the rain in my Mark VIII.

Earlier Panthers with traction control it was ABS low speed only (92-97), 98+ was low and high speed via ABS and engine management, I just don't know if what the Gen I Marks have, or even if it is split in Gen I or not.

The early Gen1's had optional traction control. The '93-'95 traction control only used the ABS at low speeds and had no engine management to reduce torque.

Gen 1 only has traction control up to something like 25-30mph, after that it turns off.

got more accurate info today
--
"No lights came on when started or after running 20 minutes, however less than half mile the traction control turned off and abs light came on. "
----
on this gen 2 do we T/S the ABS like on a gen 1? use the paper clip on the red tester by the pass side headlight, then count the ABS light flashes with ignition key ON to get the DTC?
-----
so....I'm assuming the ABS is done, it may be simple...it may not...I know 98 sensors are one year only...what will I pay for one of those? $100?

Unfortunately, OBD2 did away with the self test for the ABS and engine.

A scanner with ABS capability is needed narrow down the problem.

you say unfortunate, I say amazing.
logging and flash tuning are amazing.
yes a $20 bluetooth adapter and a 5$ app is more expensive than a paper clip, but oh so much more useful.

but yeah, you'll need a better-than-run-of-the-mill scanner to check for sure.

On my 96 obd 2 i could get the DTC code from the red tester/ harness under the hood...but yeah, need a breakout box to pinpoint the problem ABS

Contestant #2
1994 78k miles Garnet Red Glaze Prairie Tan; on air slight pull to right when braking; decent rubber; body vgc with clear coat peel on top; grill in Ec; headlights factory replacements 2-3 years old in EC; drv seat moderate wear on leather; int in vgc; no cel; 2nd owner bought in 96; southern car; $1800

At that price/condition/mileage, you better buy Contestant #2 before someone else does.

94 scarlet 1.jpg
----
94 scarlet 2.jpg

94 scarlet 1.jpg

94 scarlet 2.jpg

New car problem #1: (second hand info from dad in Virginia, where the car still is)
Pulls to right when braking...no other big problems from front end.....
-----
Culprit? Rt side SRBs? I think front rotors/ pads are still in 'good' shape'
At 78k should I go ahead and plan on total front end rebuild?
94 on air

lower ball joints. more thank likely.
sounds like it needs a front suspension rebuild.

lower ball joints. more thank likely.
sounds like it needs a front suspension rebuild.

my dad has the car up in Virginia,- he just bought it up there 2 days ago; he's gonna get it checked out tomorrow by his local mechanic...he's hoping it's a problem with caliper or rubber brake line- (damaged on the inside?)
78k seems low to need a front end rebuild, but I guess 21 years is a long time..and there's no sense doing it piece by piece

Problem #2:
after turning all the way to the (right, I think) the steering wheel offers some resistance to go back to 12 o'clock- centered for driving straight

Members online

Back