Shocks and struts

These are NOT struts. While they LOOK like struts... they are "coil over shock assemblies".

Struts mount only to the lower control arm... and mount at the top of the body inside the engine compartment.

Coil over shocks mount to the lower control arm and the body inside the engine compartment similar to a strut... but the coilover suspension also has an upper control arm.

If you were to remove a strut from a car... not only would the front of the car be on the ground... you would not be able to steer the car... because there would be nothing to keep the wheel from flopping over.

With a coil over shock assembly... if you were to remove the shock assembly from the car... the front of the car would be on the ground... but in "theory" you could still steer the car. because the wheel is supported by an upper and lower control arm.

Hope that somewhat makes sense.

Also... coilover shocks have a single bolt hole in the bottom of the shock... with no adjustability.

Struts typically have multiple bolt holes in side plates... that allow adjustability... to get accurate alignment of the wheel.

Screenshot_20211208-202822.png

What year? It's www.rockAuto.com and select your car then parts, it's pretty simple. You're going to find the best prices on this site, they don't do returns though unless you save the original packaging so make sure you order the right shit, lol

These are NOT struts. While they LOOK like struts... they are "coil over shock assemblies".

Struts mount only to the lower control arm... and mount at the top of the body inside the engine compartment.

Coil over shocks mount to the lower control arm and the body inside the engine compartment similar to a strut... but the coilover suspension also has an upper control arm.

If you were to remove a strut from a car... not only would the front of the car be on the ground... you would not be able to steer the car... because there would be nothing to keep the wheel from flopping over.

With a coil over shock assembly... if you were to remove the shock assembly from the car... the front of the car would be on the ground... but in "theory" you could still steer the car. because the wheel is supported by an upper and lower control arm.

Hope that somewhat makes sense.
Gotcha maybe it’s the coils that have gone bad

Replaced mine on my 03 at 166k, but i bought it at about 165k so i have no idea how long they were bad for but people say the original ones can go 150k miles, if you don't live where the road salt eats them maybe, ha.

Coil springs don't normally go bad unless severely overloaded.

If you are getting your info from your "mechanic".... run away from them and find another one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back