Shocking MPG

postalUT

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
SO I've been doing some teesting and I've found out that lately I've been getting around 8-10 MPG during my daily driving. I realize that economy is going to be low because everywhere I go on a regular basis is in city stop and go traffic. However, I never leave a 2 mile radius from my house for work and school and it still costs me $25 a week to drive the damn thing.

I was wondering if you guys think there may be a problem? 8MPG is ridiculous. I'm going to try and do less jackrabbit starts and try to coast a bit more but what else can I do?

25 dollars a week?!! are you kidding me? i'm spending like 35 bucks every 3 days

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. The normal stuff seems alright. I'm also having issues with my thermostat and recently had some major electrical work doen so i'll just go ahead and take it in.

yeah 8 seems pretty bad. has long has it been since your last tune up?

it's actually due for a 60k tune up but i've been doing it in pieces over the last 3k miles and most everything related to the powertrain is done (except tranny flush)

I get 25-27MPG mixed driving and I am an aressive driver. I owe about 4 MPG to the XCAL.

If all you ever do is drive 2 miles, your engine won't get up to temperature and that wastes gas. Top that off with jackrabbit starts and 10 mpg seems right. I watch my Mark VIII instant MPG and when I am driving around town and romping on it for the 1st 2 miles, I get about 10 mpg. Once I get up to speed and on the backroads where I'm not stopping constantly and accelerating I average to 22 mpg. I don't know that there is something wrong in your scenario. I think jackrabbit starts like that are contributing greatly. Think about this: you drive 2 miles and .5 miles of that you are >50% throttle. That's 25% of your driving with the petal down. Most of us are really on it for 10% of the time because most of the time you are maintaining a speed.

yea my car is a gaz guzzler to the fullest!!!! at least $50-70 a week

i avg 19.. mostly driving in-town. being lighter on the throttle will definitely help out the mpg. usually drop about $20 a week. keep it topped off

I am getting 17 city and 24 highway. I am due for my 60k miles tune up too.

I get 11.5 to 13 city, and 24.5 to 26 on the highway. Depends on the region I'm traveling in. To my west is mountains to my east its flat.

I think the worst I ever got was about 16mpg, and that included a good 20 minutes of idling with the A/C going full blast in 100*F heat (that was in between two 70 mile runs on the Interstate, though). I know stop and go city driving is bad, but your mileage sounds way low...

I was actually thinking about that today. I don't ever warm up my car before I leave so it might take longer for the car to warm up than it takes me to get where I'm going. But I think leaving it idle for 5 minutes would be just as bad on gas. I'm pretty heavy on the gas pedal as I'm really impatient, but I tried to adjust my driving habits today and the MPG is rising slowly.

22mpg would be really awesome. With my location to school and work I could make a tank last all month.

25-27 mixed driving? wow, congrats. what do you get all highway, scj?

I live at sea level. There are no hills, and highway speeds (while speeding) never exceeds 65 except for passing. The city driving I do is not to bad, just slow. Torries tune helped out by 40 miles per tank of gas.

I'm hitting 18-19 mixed driving. I used to get 14 to 15 mpg's mixed until I switched out 3 bad coils. Now I'm getting the higher mileage. I'm going to fork over the 160 for the ebay deal and get 'em all replaced as soon as I have a lil' cash left over. As for highway driving, I do well. It gets me 26 - 28 and about 400 miles to the tank.

I'm hitting 18-19 mixed driving. I used to get 14 to 15 mpg's mixed until I switched out 3 bad coils. Now I'm getting the higher mileage. I'm going to fork over the 160 for the ebay deal and get 'em all replaced as soon as I have a lil' cash left over. As for highway driving, I do well. It gets me 26 - 28 and about 400 miles to the tank.

18 Gallon Tank correct?

400 Miles / 18 = 22.2 MPG.

Xcal

What is an XCAL, where do you get it and what does it cost?

Members online

No members online now.
Back