Shock mount

Rope

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anybody came up with shock mount to go with the T-Bird shock. I don't like the shock mount that come with the car they go out to easy, I cross a lot of rail road track twice a day every two weeks sometime more, this is the second shock mount that went out on me.

Rope said:
Has anybody came up with shock mount to go with the T-Bird shock. I don't like the shock mount that come with the car they go out to easy, I cross a lot of rail road track twice a day every two weeks sometime more, this is the second shock mount that went out on me.

Yeah. I just did my rear shocks yesterday. I actually reused the old mounts by cutting out the rubber and metal insert. I used the rubber that came with the new shocks and tightened them up. It works great! Rides great! No more clunk sound in the back and a heck of a lot cheaper. It will last longer too! That mount is one of the most unecessary money makers ford parts has come up with!

I couldn't agree with you anymore, for $40.00 a piece I think that a little extreme.

thank Bmetzger8

Rope said:
I couldn't agree with you anymore, for $40.00 a piece I think that a little extreme.

thank Bmetzger8

Not a problem. No reason to spend the money on mounts. That old mount is made to break. Just cut the bad rubber and steel insert out, use the new rubber and it should last as long if not longer than your new set of shocks!

I will be converting my MK VIII from air ride to non-air ride.I also need to replace the rear shocks and mounts.What shocks should I get to replace the factory ones? Thanks JC.

JC1994 said:
I will be converting my MK VIII from air ride to non-air ride.I also need to replace the rear shocks and mounts.What shocks should I get to replace the factory ones? Thanks JC.

I was cheap and got standard Napa shocks made for a 97 t-bird. I hear sensatracks are very good too, but a lot more expensive.

Hay guys look what I came up with, maybe some expert could tell me if this is a good idea, I went looking for rubber mount and found them at O'Reilly Auto Parts, I decided to do this because I haven't bought the T-Bird shock yet, until then this will have to do for now, I don't know how long this will last, but when I put this together it was pretty solid, nice and tight, so really I'm not worried at all, If any body think differently please let me know, I believe my shocks are still good that the reason why I did it that way, But I will change them so what you all think.

Check these pics out.

All opinion welcome

Pics1.JPG

Pics2.JPG

Pics3.JPG

Pics4.JPG

Pics5.JPG

Pics6.JPG

Rope said:
Hay guys look what I came up with, maybe some expert could tell me if this is a good idea, I went looking for rubber mount and found them at O'Reilly Auto Parts, I decided to do this because I haven't bought the T-Bird shock yet, until then this will have to do for now, I don't know how long this will last, but when I put this together it was pretty solid, nice and tight, so really I'm not worried at all, If any body think differently please let me know, I believe my shocks are still good that the reason why I did it that way, But I will change them so what you all think.

Check these pics out.

All opinion welcome

Looks like a good jobe ROPE... If it works fine... Use it!!!! When I did mine, I went and got the dealer mounts... $32 each, and the T-Bird Sensa-Tracks. It worked OK. I thought it was better than the $150 replacement shocks... and that is for only the shocks....

Were you able to use the same 1/2 inch shock bolt, or did you have to get a 3/8?

fossten said:
Were you able to use the same 1/2 inch shock bolt, or did you have to get a 3/8?

Every thing are the same, except for the rubber mount.

I just did , Witch is a great thing since I am still walking with a Cane.

I used a digrinder to cut the old BS out.
I didn't have a 3rd pice of rubber you have in the picture.

I'm happy I just saved about $100

Rope said:

Check these pics out.

All opinion welcome
If you install T-Bird shocks use the rubber bushings that come with your shocks on the top and bottom and that one that you get from o'rielly's in the "HELP" aisle,shown in the pic,in the middle. works perfect I did it on my Mark,and got rid of the "clunk-clunk" in the back. and save about a 100.00 bucks!! :Beer

Rope said:

Check these pics out.

All opinion welcome

Should have Joey post this in the Tech section!

Rope said:

Check these pics out.

All opinion welcome
Great job Rope. My knid of fix.
Any chance of you writing a play by play? I've never done any kind of shock work. It looks fairly simple but sure as helll I'll screw something up.
Also Can you give us the specific info on the packaging? I don't have an O'Reilly's in my area.
thanks,

I have a '98 Mark VIII ,am I going to have to pull the back seat to change the shocks or was that and older Mark I saw that on?

turn_on68 said:
I have a '98 Mark VIII ,am I going to have to pull the back seat to change the shocks or was that and older Mark I saw that on?

It depends on your size. I'm 5'10" about 190lbs... I have done it both ways, laying in the trunk and taking out the back seat. The back seat is easy to remove and takes very little time.

If you are small enough (like Serg LOL sorry Steve) just crawl in the trunk and do it.

I have always had a rumbling sound from the rear. Especially when riding over bumps and pot holes. Someone told me to replace the shock mounts but...How do I know for sure that they are bad

thanks,
Steve

Members online

No members online now.
Back