Shifter knob?

1wykdmk8

LvC Dues Collector
Reaction score
I just ordered this shifter knob from UPR Products. They say that it should fit correctly, we will find out, they also said that if it does not fit I can send it back. Now, you are prolly wondering what you can do with the O/D button, well, here is one option (not the prettiest thing in the world), or you can do what I did. I deleted the button all together....I wired it up to the traction assist button, since they both operate on a momentary on to engage both items. It works so far........

I'll let you know if it works or not when I get it and instal it.

:steering

I like your idea of wiring the O/D switch parallel with the T/C switch. Odds are if you disable the T/C you want to disable the O/D as well(like getting ready to race! :D ).

I've always wanted to install a relay hidden somewhere and use the 'autolock' feature to disable the T/C and O/D as default but still leave the switches functioning to enable them as needed.

It'll be interesting to see the 'Stang shifter on your Mark. I'm kinda on the fence - I like stock shifter. I wish I knew Mustangs better so I would know what custom pieces stand a chance of interchanging. :confused:

:L

driller said:
I like your idea of wiring the O/D switch parallel with the T/C switch. Odds are if you disable the T/C you want to disable the O/D as well(like getting ready to race! :D ).

I've always wanted to install a relay hidden somewhere and use the 'autolock' feature to disable the T/C and O/D as default but still leave the switches functioning to enable them as needed.

It'll be interesting to see the 'Stang shifter on your Mark. I'm kinda on the fence - I like stock shifter. I wish I knew Mustangs better so I would know what custom pieces stand a chance of interchanging. :confused:

:L

Here is a pic of the shifter knob installed....I like it better than the factory shifter.....
UPRshiftinstalled.jpg

i did the od switch just a little diffrant than ray but i still got it to work , i like the stock shifter i think better, but its your car ray, still looks cool. do any of you know where i can get a shifter boot? prob max.

help removal and reinstalltion of shifter knob

my father is installing a new shifter knob on his Mark VIII and I am looking for the instructions on how to remove the old shifter knob without damaging the o/d does the panel cover and all of that need to come of first and are there any hidden clamps

Aceman3321 said:
my father is installing a new shifter knob on his Mark VIII and I am looking for the instructions on how to remove the old shifter knob without damaging the o/d does the panel cover and all of that need to come of first and are there any hidden clamps

What year Mark does he have, because it is different....slightly....from year to year.....I have the directions for all, or I can lead you in the right direction....no need to post all the directions if not needed.

1wykdmk8 said:
I just ordered this shifter knob from UPR Products. They say that it should fit correctly, we will find out, they also said that if it does not fit I can send it back. Now, you are prolly wondering what you can do with the O/D button, well, here is one option (not the prettiest thing in the world), or you can do what I did. I deleted the button all together....I wired it up to the traction assist button, since they both operate on a momentary on to engage both items. It works so far........

I'll let you know if it works or not when I get it and instal it.

:steering
Thats so cool with the TC and OD, I did mine opposite. I have it on the thumb for both. It works like a charm.

1wykdmk8 said:
Here is a pic of the shifter knob installed....I like it better than the factory shifter.....
UPRshiftinstalled.jpg
If you can BOOT this it would look absolutely SLAMMIN!! Same color as interrior leather.

reply to year

1wykdmk8 said:
What year Mark does he have, because it is different....slightly....from year to year.....I have the directions for all, or I can lead you in the right direction....no need to post all the directions if not needed.

It is a 1994 sorry about that should have included the year

Sorry, I must have missed this thread.....here goes. This is to remove the whole center console....since that is what you will need to do to get to the wires for the OD button.

1993-1994

1) Gently pry HVAC surround.

hvacpanel.jpg

hvacpanel1.jpg

hvacpanel2.jpg

2) Remove the (2) 9/32 screws that hold the shifter surround in place.

3) Place shifter into drive or lower, then gently pry up the shifter surround, and disconnect all wiring harnesses behind the shifter surround...........you can do this seperately at the shifter surround, or you can simply follow the wiring harness and disconnect the connector downstream from the surround.

4) Remove the (2) 9/32 screws that hold the front of the center console to the dash.

5) Open center console lid, and pull all junk out (come on now....you KNOW you have something in there....LOL) remove the rubber mat at bottom of the center console, and remove the (2) 9/32 bolts.

6) To pull the center console, slowly pull it out and you will notice that you will need to disconnect (1) wiring harness all the way up by the dash, and you might have to remove the connection at the bottom of the dash for the factory phone hookup (not all cars have this plugged into the bottom of the center console......some do), after all the connections are disconnected you can fully remove the center console.

7) To reinstall just reverse these directions......

1995-1996 (these are just a bit different to remove the center console.....)

1) Place shifter into drive or lower, then gently pry up the shifter surround.

2) Remove the (2) 9/32 screws that hold the radio/HVAC surround in place.

3) Gently remove the radio/HVAC surround.

4) Remove the (2) 9/32 screws that hold the center console to the dash.

5) Follow the above directions from step 5 on......

1997-1998

1) Remove the lower panel under the radio as follows:

DO NOT pry on the outside edge with a screwdriver or such.....you could damage the panel.

a) Pull at the upper inside corners directly below the HVAC controls to release the upper clips.

b) Pull directly below the lower switch under the HVAC controls straight out to release the lower clips.

c) Disconnect electrical connectors (both if so equipped).

2) Remove the (2) 9/32 screws that hold the center panel in place just in front of the shifter behind lower panel.

3) Remove the radio/HVAC panel by gently prying the radio/HVAC panel from inside of the opening in the panel that the lower panel allows and pull forward.

4) Disconnect ground wire on the back of the radio/HVAC panel.

5) Remove the (6) 9/32 bolts that hold the front of the center console in place.

6) If so equipped, remove the factory phone and bracket.

7) Remove the (2) 9/32 screws from inside the center console.

8) Disconnect wiring harness, and if so equipped, disconnect the coax for the factory phone.

9) To reinstall, reverse directions.

Now for the OD button/shifter handle......

1) Remove the button by prying on the outside of the holder for the button with a small flat blade screwdriver....DO NOT pry on the button itself.....you will ruin the OD button.

2) Remove the shifter clip that is directly below the OD button with a small flat blade screwdriver.

3) Before you totally remove the shifter you have to disconnect the OD wiring......do this by following the (2) small white wires (usually both are in a black sheath) to the back of the shifter mechanism and disconnect the wiring connector.

4) Now you will have to remove the clips that hold the wire up and out of the way of shifter mechanism. Be very careful not to rip the wire when removing from the clips, and make sure that wire is removed from all the clips as well.

5) Now you can remove the shifter.....being very careful not to rip the wire when feeding it thru the shifter mechanism.

6) To reinstall, reverse these directions.

I hope this helps, not only you, but anyone else that has to remove the center console.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back