Shakey Steering

Terrance

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK the Mechanic says I need a 'steering column flex coupler' but there is no listing for this part specific to any Mark VIII let alone a '94. The mechanic could not find a listing so I went to a couple differnt places, NAPPA & Lordco and they could only find listings for just plain Lincoln or Lincoln Towncar but nothing for Mark VIII. Is this a generic universal part that fits any Lincoln or is something not right?
The steering shimmies and shakes when I press the brake pedal lightly to slow my speed and it is getting worse. I have had all four brakes done, new rotars in the front because they were part of the shimmy problem but it did not clear up 100% so it looks like I need that part. The guy at NAPPA showed me a universal part and all it was was a large thick hard rubber disc washer with threads sewn into it, I guess to act as a spacer and cushion something but it was for Ford in general not Mark VIII specific. Anyone have any thoughts as to how I address this problem? Should I just go and order the part for Lincoln Town car and tell the guy to put it in the Mark?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

When you jack the car up in the front, can you grab one or both of the front wheels at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock position and shake them back and forth? See if you have any play in the rack on both sides.

Members online

Back