Service parking brake intermediatly

Lincoln LS

1. Ahmed Awad

Ahmed Awad LVC Member

sometimes when I start up my 2004 Ls I’m asked to service parking brake. It works fine without hiccups. What I’ve noticed is that after running a bit and it is warm if I shut the engine and turn it back on the prompt doesn’t show up until after letting it sit over night. Could it be that the battery is draining and it’s not getting correct voltage after sitting overnight and then it charges ans doesn’t have time to drain through the day.

Also my backup sensors have been acting up recently too not recognizing objects behind me unless I go from R to D back to R while an object is close behind then it’ll beep at me for a while and stop again.

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Yes, particularly with the 2004 it could be that your battery is getting weak. (There is a TSB out about needing to replace 04 EPB modules.) If you have a good voltmeter, connect it and see if battery voltage is going below 10V while starting. Other possibilities are - failing DCCV, marginal COP(s), frayed brake cable, bad rear caliper, very thin pads/rotors (rear), failing EPB switch, failing EPB module, failing EPB actuator.

Interestingly, my 04 would throw an EPB error every few weeks, more so as the battery aged. Finally (after years of this) one of the mechanical brake cables failed. I replaced it (junkyard part), and I haven't had an EPB error on the 04 since then.

The radar module on my 06 failed a few years back. The ultrasonic sensors still work, so I only get close up warnings now, and they don't cover something small that is dead center. I have been tempted to pull one from a junkyard, but I haven't been willing yet to go through the trouble of removing and reinstalling the rear bumper cover.

3. Ahmed Awad

Ahmed Awad LVC Member

Thanks again for such a quick reply I think I’ll be getting a new battery with my oil change over the weekend. Pads and rotors up next. Also the backup sensors have been working fine today seems to have sorted themselves out :D