Service parking brake intermediatly

Ahmed Awad

LVC Member
Reaction score
sometimes when I start up my 2004 Ls I’m asked to service parking brake. It works fine without hiccups. What I’ve noticed is that after running a bit and it is warm if I shut the engine and turn it back on the prompt doesn’t show up until after letting it sit over night. Could it be that the battery is draining and it’s not getting correct voltage after sitting overnight and then it charges ans doesn’t have time to drain through the day.

Also my backup sensors have been acting up recently too not recognizing objects behind me unless I go from R to D back to R while an object is close behind then it’ll beep at me for a while and stop again.

Yes, particularly with the 2004 it could be that your battery is getting weak. (There is a TSB out about needing to replace 04 EPB modules.) If you have a good voltmeter, connect it and see if battery voltage is going below 10V while starting. Other possibilities are - failing DCCV, marginal COP(s), frayed brake cable, bad rear caliper, very thin pads/rotors (rear), failing EPB switch, failing EPB module, failing EPB actuator.

Interestingly, my 04 would throw an EPB error every few weeks, more so as the battery aged. Finally (after years of this) one of the mechanical brake cables failed. I replaced it (junkyard part), and I haven't had an EPB error on the 04 since then.

The radar module on my 06 failed a few years back. The ultrasonic sensors still work, so I only get close up warnings now, and they don't cover something small that is dead center. I have been tempted to pull one from a junkyard, but I haven't been willing yet to go through the trouble of removing and reinstalling the rear bumper cover.

Yes, particularly with the 2004 it could be that your battery is getting weak. (There is a TSB out about needing to replace 04 EPB modules.) If you have a good voltmeter, connect it and see if battery voltage is going below 10V while starting. Other possibilities are - failing DCCV, marginal COP(s), frayed brake cable, bad rear caliper, very thin pads/rotors (rear), failing EPB switch, failing EPB module, failing EPB actuator.

Interestingly, my 04 would throw an EPB error every few weeks, more so as the battery aged. Finally (after years of this) one of the mechanical brake cables failed. I replaced it (junkyard part), and I haven't had an EPB error on the 04 since then.

The radar module on my 06 failed a few years back. The ultrasonic sensors still work, so I only get close up warnings now, and they don't cover something small that is dead center. I have been tempted to pull one from a junkyard, but I haven't been willing yet to go through the trouble of removing and reinstalling the rear bumper cover.

Thanks again for such a quick reply I think I’ll be getting a new battery with my oil change over the weekend. Pads and rotors up next. Also the backup sensors have been working fine today seems to have sorted themselves out :D

Joegr thank you very much for the info you provided on Ahmed's question that should help me find out why the parking brake is making a clicking sound when I apply the parking brake shortly after the service the parking brake light comes on followed by the ABS and the Check advance trac as well

Very interesting, mine was sporadically popping that message on too but I haven't seen it since I changed my pads in the rear now that you mention it. Good information, thanks much!

Very interesting, mine was sporadically popping that message on too but I haven't seen it since I changed my pads in the rear now that you mention it. Good information, thanks much!
I changed the pads and rotors of the rear wheels but that service brake light keeps popping up I also did the obdII reader and I was able to erase codes and make cluster lights go away but the abs and advance track popped up again followed by the service brake after a week or so of driving it but now theres a weird sound coming from the front tires like if something is loose just dangling around but theres nothing and steering wheel doesnt seem to be aligned now it feels like it's not going with the flow reaction when I turn I've been told it could be my front wheel bearings and that's why my abs and advance trac pop up any help will be much appreciated

I changed the pads and rotors of the rear wheels but that service brake light keeps popping up I also did the obdII reader and I was able to erase codes and make cluster lights go away but the abs and advance track popped up again followed by the service brake after a week or so of driving it but now theres a weird sound coming from the front tires like if something is loose just dangling around but theres nothing and steering wheel doesnt seem to be aligned now it feels like it's not going with the flow reaction when I turn I've been told it could be my front wheel bearings and that's why my abs and advance trac pop up any help will be much appreciated
Jack it up and turn the wheels by hand to feel bearings, or let an alignment shop check it out. Most alignment shops will check it for free.

Members online

Back