Serious car problem

2002_lincolnLS

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So as those of you who made it to the toledo meet know my car was acting up.

I have a 2002 v-8 has about 82,000 miles.

The problem that is occuring is the car will be going fine then cut out and then rev then cut out then rev and then die.

It idles fine, but in toledo when i would put it in drive it would just die, I thought maybe a vacuum line, but they are all fine I have vacuum

GOOD--

1. Vacuum
2. Voltage
3. no dtc's
4. temp is good
5. oil is good.

I did think possably it was just bad gas, I put sunoco 93 in , up in toledo and it was fine the rest of the day, until we got on the highway to come home. Then it was fine on sunday, but acted up on monday.

I did, notice though my air fuel gauge reads lean when this happens,

Could It be the fuel pump getting ready to go out or do they just go, I'm not even sure thats actually the problem.

idling fine doesnt seem to be a fuel quality problem. deff. sounds electrical or a sensor of some sort. Do you hear it going into gear before it dies... maybe a torque converter issue. can you rev it up in neutral?

come to think of it.... i had a maxima that would do the same thing... when the trany fluid was cold it wouldn't run... I had to wait till the car warmed up before it would move.. if you tried to put it in gear before it was warm. it would die...

oh, no it was plenty warm trust me, I don't think its tranny problem at all because it shifts fine and goes into gear fine.

It had been driving around for the past 5 hours when it happened

Does it die with your foot on the gas pedal, off the gas pedal, or both? Does it die a low speed, high speed, or both?

Joe, It is totally random, it did it at high speed on the turnpike and it did it while in town on saturday, it jerks like crazy when it does then, it will be fine again. It only does it in drive and when I'm moving. I hope it's not the tranny...

I'm pretty sure it's not coils, when I had coils go out before it didn't act anything like this. I'm stumped, I have no idea what it could be.

Maybe it's electrical. Check all the wiring junctions to see if any are loose. Also check or replace the PCM power relay in the trunk.
Another suspect might be the fuel pump. If you had a real time scan tool, you could monitor fuel pressure when it acts up.

yeah i just have a dtc scanner, it may find any saved data but it wouldn't be time stamped to know if anything is going on there, I figuired it was fuel related due to the lean indication on my air/fuel gauge

Do they tend to act up before going out or do they just quit, I've never had fuel pump problems before

yeah i just have a dtc scanner, it may find any saved data but it wouldn't be time stamped to know if anything is going on there, I figuired it was fuel related due to the lean indication on my air/fuel gauge

Do they tend to act up before going out or do they just quit, I've never had fuel pump problems before

I haven't had a fuel pump failure yet either. I think that some just stop and others become marginal until the fail completely. Most of the marginal ones that I have heard of cause starting problems instead of stalling problems, but I suppose that is possible too.

Note that ignition failure will also cause a lean reading. (At first, this doesn't sound right, but it is. The O2 sensors read oxygen levels in the exhaust. If the mixture ignites, then too much oxygen left means too little fuel injected, but if the mixture isn't ignited, none of the oxygen is burned so the O2 sensor will show lean mixture even though raw fuel is going by it.)

so, it may mean I have maybe more than one marginal cop at the time. Both the other coils I replaced went by themselves, Or maybe I have fouled plugs I supose could be an issue,

I will pull them tonite to check them out.

how long after you installed your gauges did this start (pillar)... what are they tied into? make sure nothings shorting where you wired those...

I doubt that one or two failing coils would actually stall the engine.

I doubt that one or two failing coils would actually stall the engine.

+1

especially as violent as your describing it. I just cant see a failing coil work intermittently like that (and throwing off your sensors without a CEL). It is starting to sound more and more fuel related. I had a bad connection going to my fuel pump that would make the LS idle rough and/or not start ( would have to cycle the key 20x to start). after several trips to the dealer they found the a bad pin on a connector, never threw a code.... might be a fuel sending issue.... might be worth the $90 to get diagnosed.

well I won't pay 90 bucks for the dealer to do basically nothing. And it starts just fine first turn of the key, and it idles fine. I doubt its coils as well but just throwing possabilities out there.

I am going to start looking at some things after work to see if I can't figuire it out. I am going to check the conection where I tapped into for the air/fuel gauge but I doubt there is any problem there I soldered and shrink wrapped everything and that was done about 2 weeks ago.

I was going to suggest a sensor, but after reading all the comments, I'm tending to lean towards fuel pump or relay as well. I know that it didn't show itself when you were doing those wicked burnouts. ;-)

well I won't pay 90 bucks for the dealer to do basically nothing. And it starts just fine first turn of the key, and it idles fine. I doubt its coils as well but just throwing possabilities out there.

I am going to start looking at some things after work to see if I can't figuire it out. I am going to check the conection where I tapped into for the air/fuel gauge but I doubt there is any problem there I soldered and shrink wrapped everything and that was done about 2 weeks ago.

very true. hopefully its just a bug and will go away. i guess look for something weird next time it happens. speed, gear, rpms, time running, etc.... good luck buddy. I'll come pick u up if you get stuck :cool:

lol Bildabo was going to push me up a hill at the meet, and the difficulty with diagnosing this is it doenst happen in any one situation

I was going to suggest a sensor, but after reading all the comments, I'm tending to lean towards fuel pump or relay as well. I know that it didn't show itself when you were doing those wicked burnouts. ;-)

I know it was fine that whole time....this car is wierd sometimes

I was wondering if you made it home okay after the meet, guess the problem wasn't the gas lol, hope it all gets fixed buddy.

I't s weird because after the new gas it seemed fine the rest of the day.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know what I find tonite

just throwing this out there but when it has problems are you almost out of gas, maybe you have some water in the tank or something and its running threw all the crap when it gets low?

No the first time when we just got to family video there was over half a tank of gas, Im going to pull the pump tonite to check things out

could it be my relay causing my fuel issue, do they wear out, or not let enough voltage get to the pump to run constantly

I know new cars are different, but I had a 1979 Mercedes Benz which had this problem. It was the fuel filter. Now I know new cars tend to have both fuel filter in the fuel pump, and lifetime expectations, but nothing is foolproof.

Venom, I am going to repalce the fuel filter, I think it may be a part of the problem, plus it couldn't hurt o replce it. I am also thinking maybe replace the relay as well.

Members online

Back