Security re-set?

M.Rad.

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and need some help.
I have a 2000 LS 3.9L. This morning I took the car to Safelite to get the windsheild replaced. When they were done, the car won't crank, no dash lights, etc.
I suspect the security system was triggered by the winsheild replacement- (is that possible?)

I have read the security reset proceedure (turn key on/off 8 times in 10 sec.) but I do not have a remote, only the key. Is it still possible to do the reset without the remote fob?

So far have tried: battery disconnect, locking/unlocking with the key. Ran out of time had to bum a ride to work.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,
M.R.

No such thing on the LS, so that's not your problem.

Your battery is dead and/or you have a loose battery cable and/or they shorted something and blew a major fuse.

(The LS does have PATS, but it's not triggered by anything. It prevents the engine from starting if it doesn't correctly read your key code. It's not something that gets set and stays that way. It retries every time you put the key in and turn it. It also doesn't stop any of the dash lights from coming on.)

+1 on the dead battery.

if you don't have lights anywhere when you turn the key, the battery is possibly run down.

if it's the old original battery, it would have an "eye" on the top side, that normally green, when it's red, it's time to replace it.

for now, try a boost or a powerpack on it, to get it going.

if that's not it, then I'd start checking fuses like Joegr said.

best of luck, hope it doesn't spoil your weekend.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
No, it's not the batt. I had enough time to check that, it's at 14.x v.

I looked through the owner's manual, but didn't see a fuse/relay that would control both ignition and dash lights.

I'll run a search on this site for a service manual. Any other suggestions?

Regards,
M.R.

Hmmm, strange.

so you are saying you, "did" hook the battery onto another car and your getting absolutely nothing on the dash or any lights all around.

when you turn the key when it's being jumped, can you turn your headlights on ?

with it hooked up to another car's battery, any interior dome lights at all with doors open
(never mind the no cranking)

if your not getting anything at all from the battery to the system, something is seriously wrong.

perhaps the new glass is defective causing somesort of short to your electrical,
get them to put the old glass back in and see if it starts ("joking" big time!!!)

oh just though of this as I hit "post"

with the windshield being replaced, there might possibly be something
that tells it, it has been in a collision and I read in the Owners Manual,
a reset after collision, and it's under the drivers side, left foot area.

(looking it up now)

UPDATE: no sorry, that was the "resetting the fuel pump shut-off switch" after a substantial jolt.

that's not it ...

~ on the Rear fuse box, fuse# 22 20AMP for Ignition Switch ok ?

That would be the cutoff fuel switch (inertia button), worth taking a gander.

Thanks BigRigLS, I will look at fuse #22 , as well as #25, and #5 (central jct box) and the wheel well wiring when I get off work tomorrow morning:(.

I did NOT put the battery in another vehicle to test it, I used a multi-meter to check the battery charge, it was slightly over 14v.
The door locks work, and the door courtesy lights are working, but I didn't check the dome light (had to get to work). I can't check starter draw, of course for obvious reasons:D.

Is there a wiring schematic available on this forum (no I haven't searched yet, but will)?

Well, break is over, back on my head....
Thanks again for the input!

Regards,
M.R.

well, if your door locks, courtesy light work then it's not the battery as you said.

it's like it thinks it's "stolen" and has shut down the ignition.

RE: PATS - you didn't by chance ad more items to your keys chain?
it can actually interfere with it ... make sure to try with the key only.

~ but that should still light up the dash and go through the self-tests. <shrugs>

If it's PATS (it's not if the OP is correct about there being no lights on), then there's no need to guess at it. The PATS light will flash rapidly if it is blocking the starter. Just wait with the key on and after a while the rapid flashing will change to it flashing out a two digit code. Count that code and post it here.

Ok! Found it- Fuse #22 was blown. Replaced with another 20a fuse and all works well. Don't know why it blew, or if it will repeat, but for now it runs.
Thanks to everyone for their input and support.

Regards,
M.R.

Ok! Found it- Fuse #22 was blown. Replaced with another 20a fuse and all works well. Don't know why it blew, or if it will repeat, but for now it runs.
Thanks to everyone for their input and support.

Regards,
M.R.

~ on the Rear fuse box, fuse# 22 20AMP for Ignition Switch ok ?

There you go, another happy LS running again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back