Seafoam'd!

isaiah3g

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
And might I say,MAN! there was a HUUUUGE amount of smoke that poured out!

I let it warm up,poured most of the bottle into a paint mixing cup,unhooked the brake booster vacuum thing and let it suck up the goodness. Spit-n-sputtered a bit,then I tried to kill it by floodin it with the seafoam (read it on the forum somewhere) didn't die so I killed it,let it sit for about 10 minutes and started it up and revved the crap out of it.

WHITE SMOKE GALORE.

The kids across the way ran over behind the car and played in it,then they started coughing. Lol they ran away and watched. When the smoke cleared I then drove off from work and this was my fav part,driving like I stole it :-D

I read that was only supposed to be about 10 minutes as well.
I plan on seafoaming my parents Impala SS (Lingenfelter edition) tomorrow. :)
I

Ummmmmmmm........

great... ill go buy 10 bottles of it.. really though thats all it dose??? make your car smoke...

Lies! I seafoamed mine 4 times...that thing was NASTY inside...I don't think it's worth it

you can try to old timers method, add a half gallon of diesel to your full tank.

i remember when that stuff was 5 bucks a can....I think the affects of it are all in the head.

I can pour a bottle of Tide laundry detergent into my intake and make it smoke like a mofo. Doesn't mean it's doing anything other than burning the detergent. I'm in the snakeoil camp when it comes to this stuff.

The idea is that if you pour it in the PCV valve of a warm engine and let it sit, it'll help clean out the intake system of the car.

I've never confirmed this, but I have heard that the SeaFoam product itself is similar to a peroxide and the act of pouring it into the hot engine, letting it set, then running it, will actually cause a 'steam cleaning' like effect in the intake system.

I used SeaFoam on my VIII, when I removed the IMRCs at about 200k, they were fairly clean. They were dark, but no build ups or large deposits obstructing things in there. So it may well work. A half can isn't too great an investment.

I'm also thinking about picking up some Auto-RX for a little Honda I bought.

I can pour a bottle of Tide laundry detergent into my intake and make it smoke like a mofo. Doesn't mean it's doing anything other than burning the detergent. I'm in the snakeoil camp when it comes to this stuff.

I'm kinda with you on this, I don't think it does a whole lot. But looking at the intake/IMRC design on these engines, we need all the cleaning we can get!

I think this cleans the deposits off the valves to get a better seal with less valve delay from sticking. I sell Amsoil and they make an aerosol product for the same purpose, I think it is called Power Foam. If anyone is interested in that product just find a local dealer and ask them about it. This is the info from their website: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx

I run their PI fuel cleaner a few times a year and I never have any gunk build-up to require this treatment. Back in the old days, this machine shop told me to dribble a cup of diesel down the carburetor and let the engine run at a slow idle and that clears up sticky valves, it actually works. I have even done that with brake fluid and and it smoked like Hall as soon as the cats got hot (looked like a top fuel burnout) lolz.

I think what it boils down to is that, while it may be able to clean some carbon, the way it's introduced into the engine is not optimal. If I were to remove my intake manifold (which I will be in a few months), then I might be willing to give this stuff a try on the valves and IMRCs by applying directly. I just don't believe that enough is properly ingested via the intake to amount to a hill of beans.

Too many people get all hyped up about how much smoke it generates, as if that has any correlation with how well it's working. It doesn't. It's just the chemicals burning.

One of the guys on another forum ended up using TWELVE bottles of the stuff to try and un-stick one of his his IMRCs and he still ended up having to take his intake off and clean them manually. They looked like crap when he removed them.

I'm not sold.

I'm kinda with you on this, I don't think it does a whole lot. But looking at the intake/IMRC design on these engines, we need all the cleaning we can get!

Forgot to mention this earlier, but locking the IMRCs open when doing this would be the way to go.

Members online

No members online now.
Back