SCT Xcal2 ROCKS!

bigpappy33

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally bit the bullet and bought an Xcal2, let me just say i love it. I had it tuned by torrie and i highly recommend it to anyone who wants more umph from there LS. Gotta love all the options you have with it and the computer software is sweet.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

I've been trying to justify this purchase for months to my wife! Can you feel that much more of a difference? Does it make the tires break loose easier?

gt95coupe said:
I wish there was someone out there who had dyno numbers with and with out the SCT...

I will once I get time to take it to the dyno. I will see if I get some time next week to spin the rollers a bit.

SCT published on their web-site a 14rwhp gain on a totally stock LS.

that is the tune included with the SF Strategy Flash Device - which is just an XCal2 loaded with tunes from SCT themselves - not from a tuner like Torrie.

So Torrie should be able to do better than that - and according to my G-Tech Pro Comp - he did.

Yes, Torrie's tune will make that much difference, just DO NOT let the dealer reflash your computer like they did mine 2 weeks ago and render all your hard work useless. :(

I too would love some real dyno numbers with the various tunes from Torrie. Then I am completely sold!

Smokey said:
Yes, Torrie's tune will make that much difference, just DO NOT let the dealer reflash your computer like they did mine 2 weeks ago and render all your hard work useless. :(

Why did they flash your computer?

Im very interested on buying this Tune Device.Please explain to me how can i get a tune from torrie and how much is the additional cost??

order it from his website (www.fastpartsnetwork.com). include your VIN number in the purchase so he knows what your ECU strategy code is (or whatever its called...) and he loads it with his tunes before its sent out to you, so theres no extra cost. i was hesitant about relying on email as the only mean of communication, but he's very good with answering emails, and answering them quickly. i was amazed with how willing he was to work with me over minor details to get the tune exactly how i wanted it. order it, you wont regret it.

Can i go to the dyno with SCT Base Tune and then change to torries?? how much tunes can i have on the SCT??

yes you can switch back and forth. IIRC the device holds 3 tunes + your stock tune.

What is the best hp gain that i can get from a tune of torrie versus the base SCT tune??

Sorry to have lot of doubts but i want to know every detail before I buy it

Doesn't it hold 3 total, two special tunes and room for your stock tune.....?

Rodewaryer said:
Doesn't it hold 3 total, two special tunes and room for your stock tune.....?

that is not correct. it holds 3 custom tunes and your sotck tune for replacement.

aserrano said:
What is the best hp gain that i can get from a tune of torrie versus the base SCT tune??

Sorry to have lot of doubts but i want to know every detail before I buy it

there are a 1000s threads on this - seems we keep answering the same questions over and over.

The REAL reason you want to purchase the unit from a tuner - and not from SCT - is that you want to get a relationship with your tuner, as he can work with you until the tune is perfect for your car, send you updated tunes via e-mail, ...etc

Torrie is a guy many of us use, has alot of experience with LSes (even dyno'ed them) and we have developed that relationship with. So if you are going to do this via mail-order then he's your guy.

If you have a tuner close by you, that is an SCT dealer, has an in-house dyno - then that would be the best option. As long as the shop has tuned these more modern street cars.

Yes this does come up alot, but everyone has a good reason for the questions. Unlike a exhaust and intake were you see and hear what you paid for on top of the power gain. The Xcal is a little different.

I bought mine in the end of November right after visiting the 1/4mile 3 of the last 4 weekends. I over 40 passes at the track and really felt I was going to give a good # the Xcal took off. To bad the track closed.

As Quik mentioned its the fine tuning that may be needed thats nice. I asked Torrie if my car could get the SST 1st gear fix that works on some cars and he e-mailed me a test tune and now I have 1st at will. Very nice. Mines an 02 FYI.

I remember reading somewhere someone said just to grab the XCAL 1 instead of paying the price for the second. Since I do not know much about tuning etc, I would def. have Torrie hit up a tune for me, so do I need the second XCAl or could I live with the first XCAL?

the tunes are exactly the same in a XCal1 vs XCal2. the XCal2 offers the ability to read/clear DTC error codes, and interface your car with a laptop to perform datalogging. It also offers two analog input so you can tie your wideband O2 sensor into it as well and include that input in your datalogging for tuning.

Although i wont speculate on whether the product works or not, there are tons of tuner type modules for a variety of vehicles, most either sports cars or trucks. So there is most definately some level of benefit to the xcal. But i do believe that adding that to a car like the LS your just asking for trouble. Your gonna put more abuse on the car and something is gonna give. If its a 1st Gen. then the valve cover gaskets will probably go if they havent already. Your coils are gonna crap out faster if they already havent. Your tranny could take a dump. Bottom line is you guys buy these power add ons to run faster and harder right? You wanna either race that guy down the street or get a better timeslip at the track. Dont be surprised if your $300 gadget brings you thousands in repairs.

How could you possible connect the 2. My VC gaskets are going to go when they want, same as the coil packs. My 60 passes at the track or the Xcal2 will have nothing to do with it. If they brought it on abit earlier, who cares, but I don't believe that. I'm at 63k without a single problem bought at 32k. Knock on wood but when I get a mis-fire I'll fix and not for a second blame it on my driving. If anything my new truck purchase making the LSE not the daily driver and getting driven so little will probably prevoke the problems.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
How could you possible connect the 2. My VC gaskets are going to go when they want, same as the coil packs. My 60 passes at the track or the Xcal2 will have nothing to do with it. If they brought it on abit earlier, who cares, but I don't believe that. I'm at 63k without a single problem bought at 32k. Knock on wood but when I get a mis-fire I'll fix and not for a second blame it on my driving. If anything my new truck purchase making the LSE not the daily driver and getting driven so little will probably prevoke the problems.
I'm not saying that the next day you install a tune from the xcal your car is gonna blow up, i am saying that your more than likely to drive it harder. Driving the car harder can then cause some sort of failure. I was a total skeptic on the whole coil issue, until my '05 with 38k had four bad coils. I dont drive my car hard at all, but i also dont know how the previous owner drove. Bottom line is if your a grandma driver vs. a driver with an xcal and intake and whatever else then most likely you'll experience some failure. It doesnt have to be immediate, but a part that might have lasted till 80k could fail earlier with an xcal and the associated driving. Your telling me that you dont think driving harder is worse on your car? Its not so much the actual device as the associated driving.

"My VC gaskets are going to go when they want, same as the coil packs. My 60 passes at the track or the Xcal2 will have nothing to do with it. "

If you beleive that then fine. I completely disagree.

Fla02LS said:
I'm not saying that the next day you install a tune from the xcal your car is gonna blow up, i am saying that your more than likely to drive it harder. Driving the car harder can then cause some sort of failure. I was a total skeptic on the whole coil issue, until my '05 with 38k had four bad coils. I dont drive my car hard at all, but i also dont know how the previous owner drove. Bottom line is if your a grandma driver vs. a driver with an xcal and intake and whatever else then most likely you'll experience some failure. It doesnt have to be immediate, but a part that might have lasted till 80k could fail earlier with an xcal and the associated driving. Your telling me that you dont think driving harder is worse on your car? Its not so much the actual device as the associated driving.

"My VC gaskets are going to go when they want, same as the coil packs. My 60 passes at the track or the Xcal2 will have nothing to do with it. "

If you beleive that then fine. I completely disagree.

Gaskets... in this case he's right; These gaskets are not "wear out" items. There is no load or amountable force subjected to them. Typically gaskets go for one of two reasons; mechanical failure (such as head gaskets during an overheating) and deterioration (such as the famous rearmain seals on 5.0L V8's. For the most part, Cam Cover gaskets will go whenever fate has them lined to to crap out on you at. However, you have a valid point on coils; they are an electronic device with energy pushed through them. The more of a load they recieve, the quicker they are going to fail. And any good engine tuner/mechanic will tell you, the higher the RPM's, the faster that (those) coil(s) must cycle. This will lead to a build-up of heat (and heat is the enemy of coils), but in addition to this, they will not deliver the same voltage at higher RPM's as lower RPM's; it can sometimes be as much as half. This as well is somewhat undesireable. Add into this the fact that these coils are not of the highest quality as it is (I understand poor windings)... It is feasable.

hang on. You are a new poster - so one thing that you I think you missed - the pre-03 V8 (mid-2002) LSes suffer from a valve cover gasket design issue. There is a TSB that caused Ford to re-design them - as the original design would leak under 'normal' driving pressures. The oil would get into the plug wells and short out the coils.

does spending more time at WOT likely cause this design defect to show up sooner - maybe - but if you can't drive the stock car completely stock -then the only thing he is right about is that if you leave the car in your garage it will never break.

Members online

Back