SCT X3 with Torrie Tunes - first impressions

I got a mild increase in horse power if any. I dont have a dyno to test it on. The butt dyno says that it is a little faster than when it is tuned stock. The main benefit that I got is in transmission tuning and mileage. Just simple changes on the transmission end make the car feel much sportier. The car was also tuned to change gears closer to redline than stock timing.

Well, my concern and reasoning for wanting to know a LITTLE more info on what Torrie changed has become somewhat justified. Those who have followed this thread may remember that my original issue was that in the Aggressive tune the cooling fan would run at max speed - no matter how little or how gentle the car had been driven. So, Torrie "made it go away." When I asked him if he could explain a little more, he just said "it was temperature." Now, I'm assuming (which is all that I can do at this point) that he adjusted a temperature threshold for when the fan is supposed to come on - and made it a higher temperature. Maybe there's more to it than that, but that's my initial guess.

So, in driving with the Aggressive tune, if I use SST and/or accelerate harder the temperature guage will go all the way up and I get the Check Temperature warning message. It will stay there for about a minute, and then go back down to normal. I switched to the Performance tune (which he modified just like the Aggressive for the fan issue), and confirmed it's doing it there too. Obviously, this has to do with the change he made for the fan speed issue. So now I've got to go back to him again to see if he can make another "magic" change that I won't know anything about.

I'm starting to feel like I'm playing russian roullete with this. This would be so much easier to deal with if he'd be open to a LITTLE dialogue instead of the vague one/two-word answers.

Stay "tuned" for more updates (yes, pun intended)

TRU

This maybe an obvious question but did you try reverting back to the OEM tune to make sure this isn't just a bad coincidence and you have a bad cooling part (Degas bottle/Thermostat)

No I haven't, Bull but that's a good idea. I'm going to run it tomorrow (both normal and hard driving) to see if it does it again. I've held off on emailing Torrie. The car sat all weekend and Monday as well, so I'll see what it does on the way to work. If it does it again, I'll revert to stock and see if I can duplicate the issue or not before contacting Torrie. You brought up a good point - I don't want to be contacting him for an issue that's really not his fault.

i cracked and just sent money to Torrie and hes in the process of making my tunes right now

Welp, ordered up an SCT from Torrie with his tunes. By golly is he brief with his responses but as mentioned, if he's from his phone, I would be too.

What worries me is that he assured me that it comes with his custom tunes for the LS yet I didn't have to pay the $150 for it. Has anyone purchased the tuner from him and he threw the tunes in with it? I guess one way to check is that if the package is sealed up when it gets here.

Welp, ordered up an SCT from Torrie with his tunes. By golly is he brief with his responses but as mentioned, if he's from his phone, I would be too.

What worries me is that he assured me that it comes with his custom tunes for the LS yet I didn't have to pay the $150 for it. Has anyone purchased the tuner from him and he threw the tunes in with it? I guess one way to check is that if the package is sealed up when it gets here.

The tunes should come with the unit.

The tunes should come with the unit.

This.

Once you get the SCT you will have to read your strategy code from your LS and send it to him. He will then send you the tunes so you can map them

Fantastic, he was so brief that it wasn't clear exactly what I was getting here. Thanks fellas.

This.

Once you get the SCT you will have to read your strategy code from your LS and send it to him. He will then send you the tunes so you can map them

Thats how ILLS did it, but when I bought mine from torrie, he said he had already uploaded the tune on there so when I received mine that was it. Weird that he didn't need my strategy code, or maybe there is a way around it just how the canned tunes can be installed on any ls.

We will see. So Alax, the only place you had the tunes was on your XCal when you had it? IIRC your unit was stolen wasn't it?

I got my tuner and tunes from Torrie last month. I ordered and paid for the tuner, he sent the tuner, I emailed him info after I got the tuner and received the tunes.

He was brief and to the point in dealing with me, almost to the point of being curt (when I asked if the custom tunes were included in the purchase price of my tuner his full and complete response was "Of course."), but his price was very fair, the service was prompt, and the tune I installed made a noticeable improvement. I have "tuned" all 7 of the cars that I currently own with canned or custom tunes, so I have been through the process before. Torrie's tune made a difference and I was very pleased.

Torrie has a solid reputation as a tuner for the LS as well as for other Ford cars (I know he had one of the first tunes out for the Focus ST).

Now, I did not get a warm hug and pleasantries with the transaction, but I value competence over warmth and sweetness in a business setting. A Ford Focus ST is my next planned auto purchase (although I could change my mind) and I would not hesitate to buy from Torrie again.

Scratch that. Reminder to schmucks like me. When you are loading the tunes from your computer to the device, it needs to be in regular mode, not firmware mode. They left that part out.

Last edited:
If you already have the device, I believe Torrie will charge $150 for 3 custom tunes - usually come in the form of Aggressive, Performance, and Economy. He will normally answer any question you give him - albeit very abruptly or short as others have noticed. He will NOT tell you any of the changes or configurations of any part of the tunes, so don't even think of asking. I believe that is standard operating procedures for most tuners out there. As others have said, he is very responsive in getting back to you, and will make adjustments to your tune files based on your input - long after you've paid for them.

Stay "tuned,"

Tru

I can't talk to the preloaded tunes in the tuner, as I bought my device from another LVC member. I believe he left the tunes on the device with an unlock available, but since I heard that the tunes were supposed to be specific to your VIN I went ahead and got new ones from Torrie.

Just to make sure will the SCT Livewire TS work with a 06? I don't want to spend $700 if it will not work.

I have an aggressive tune from Rob (for first Gen) sitting on my desktop :cool: hehehe

We able to figure out if that would go X3 compatible ?

Sorry, haven't gotten the tuner just yet.

Members online

Back