sct tuner is it worth it

flowmaster02

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know that there has been a ton of threads like this but i'm tired of seaching through all of them. I'm not looking to start a long thread just looking for a strait answer. Are the sct tuners really worth the money? I have a CAI and a custom exhaust. Will I feel a difference with it?

Yes. Not as much as you'd think, but yes, it can be felt. It won't turn the LS into a monster, thats for sure.

I love the 1st gear SST launch.

What is the tuner? Ive heard about them, but never actually knew what they are...

It looks like a code scanner. In fact, you can use it as a code scanner too.

But, the tuning device also has the ability to UPLOAD to the computer system, and reprogram it to run more efficiently, modify air/fuel ratios, change shift firmness/shift points, adjust spark timing, etc.

You pay a tuner (like Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com) for a "tune". The tune is a collection of parameters put together by the tuner. They email you the tune, you put it on the device, plug it into your car, and reprogram the pcm.

Kind of like a "chip" on other cars. Except the LS has to use a different approach to tuning.

I believe the standard hp gain from the tune is 18-20hp. I could be underestimating though.

I know that there has been a ton of threads like this but i'm tired of seaching through all of them. I'm not looking to start a long thread just looking for a strait answer. Are the sct tuners really worth the money? I have a CAI and a custom exhaust. Will I feel a difference with it?

did you feel a difference from the CIA or the exhaust, its about the same HP gains, the biggest part is the trans tuning, you will definitely feel the difference when you crank up the shift firmness, after riding in a buddy's LS with a tune i would say its one of the bigger values for your money and has been moved to the top of my list

hey Brian, if you are a good little boy, maybe Santa will bring you a tuner!!!

Picture 058 (Small) (WinCE).jpg

Totally worth it. Get it from Torrie @ the fast parts network (think there's still a $20 discount off MSRP).

There are precautions you have to take when programming your car (pull fuel pump and electric fan fuses, make sure your batt is well charged), but a lot of folks cross their fingers and just do it without pulling the fuses. Programming it for the first time is especially crucial as the SCT will make a backup of your stock firmware and that will take a long damn while.

im interested :D
this might be a gadget ill have to invest in

Totally worth it. Get it from Torrie @ the fast parts network (think there's still a $20 discount off MSRP).

There are precautions you have to take when programming your car (pull fuel pump and electric fan fuses, make sure your batt is well charged), but a lot of folks cross their fingers and just do it without pulling the fuses. Programming it for the first time is especially crucial as the SCT will make a backup of your stock firmware and that will take a long damn while.

how come you have to pull the fuses and cant you do this with your car on if you are worried about your battery?

correct. you cannot turn the car on while the tune is being loaded.

I did it without taking the fuse out, I was in a hurry and wanted to try it out before i left on a trip. The battey died and wouldn't start the car but it lasted enough to not leave my pcm with nothing in it or without damaging it. I heard its really bad if your pcm has no power while its being flashed. So take the precations and dont risk it, you dont want to add another problem on your fix it list. Yes you can feel a difference, reall smooth nice shift and faster down shift with less lag times. I guess tranny would feel the biggest impact of the re flash. It'll wake up the little beast in the ls....little

Hi everyone,

This might be a dumb question, but can you order different tunes for different driving styles?

For example, if I'm just driving around the city, can I have the transmission tuned for smoother shifts at lower speeds/rpms? Would doing this improve the driving over the factory tune?

Would it improve fuel economy?

how come you have to pull the fuses and cant you do this with your car on if you are worried about your battery?
NO! If you do that, you'll instantly junk your car.

As to the fuses, you basically don't want the batt voltage to fall too low or the programming will fail leaving you with a non-running car, which only a dealer can fix (the electric cooling fan and fuel pump will run once you begin programming). Might be OK if you fully charge your batt with an external charger first (which is what I did even though I left the fan fuse in). Just as importantly, if you have leaky injectors, fuel will pool in the affected cylinder and when the pistons rises up --> bad juju.

Used ones in the 200 range. Then you have to buy tunes on top of that.

im interested :D
this might be a gadget ill have to invest in

They run $400 or so with tunes. Most sellers don't take "trades". ;) You're best off getting your tranny fixed first because it does change your shift points and might make a slipping transmission worse.

www.sctflash.com is where you find out more. They don't sell them directly. You need to find a dealer that sells them. Try and find out who people use on this site that specializes in Lincolns. Otherwise you're just getting canned tunes.

Used ones in the 200 range. Then you have to buy tunes on top of that.

Be wary of used ones unless you know how many times they've been used on different vehicles and "returned to stock". They limit how many times it can be done before it needs to be returned to SCT for re-flashing. I can't remember how many times you can do it, but 5 seems to be the number I'm reaching for. I've read horror stories of people buying these things used and they're useless to them because the limit has been reached.

does it matter is the ls is a 1st gen or 2nd?

They should definitely work on all 2000+ Ford products. sctflash.com has their own forums. Might want to check over there on compatibility. The XCalibrator3 should be all you need.

Sorry, I'm new to Lincoln (but not new to Ford) so don't know the differences and nuances between the different generations of LS yet (but am learning as I'll probably make a move on one in coming months).

They are both compatible with the sct tuners

The price depends on which tuner you decide to go with. All of the XCals work with the LS, although I recommend getting at least the 2nd one. Also, the SCT Livewire will work as well (it's what I have). I'm not sure if their newest one is compatible with the LS or not but they cost a fortune anyways.

Will they do anything for an 02 TC? I have the MM airbox but have not put it on because I understand the SCT is necessary. Just trying to wake up the TC. Any advice is appreciated.

Be wary of used ones unless you know how many times they've been used on different vehicles and "returned to stock". They limit how many times it can be done before it needs to be returned to SCT for re-flashing. I can't remember how many times you can do it, but 5 seems to be the number I'm reaching for. I've read horror stories of people buying these things used and they're useless to them because the limit has been reached.

Suppose I should've mentioned that. I don't even think it's 5 times that the unit can be "unlocked". But I don't know for sure.

I would limit the purchase of a used unit to trusted members on LVC. I would not suggest purchasing one on ebay. I know people have purchased them there, and had good luck, but the potential for getting burned is pretty high.

.....but the potential for getting burned is pretty high.

I agree. I also know it's pretty costly and a hassle to get one of those deactivated flashers working again (needs to be returned to SCT and they don't work for free).

I tend to favor new ones because you know where they've been, you can use it on future Ford purchases, it comes with a warranty and the dealer who sells it to you will support it. I've scored free tunes in the past from the guy I scored a flasher from just because I bought the flasher from him. Scour the SCT forums. These devices are far from perfect and it's nice to know if you do have issues with the box, it should be dealt with.

Members online

No members online now.
Back