Sct sp3

01continental

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have already done a search. I have an '06 LS with air intake and full cat back including Magnaflow X pipe ans Thrush Turbos. Will the stock SCT SP3 program be OK for my set-up? I can not afford a special tune because I am buying a new trans.
Thanks

canned tunes are barely any different from the OEM tune, i would say either get your tuner from torie with real tunes on it or dont bother.

The Sct sp3 is a good tuner. I find it hard to believe that a "special" tune would make that much difference for my little mods. This is after talking to a couple of tuners. At least not to justify another couple hundred of dollars on top of the tuner price.

well with canned tunes, they have to be real conservative so that it is safe on every single car that it could be put on to, you never know what kind of condition the car may be in (weak fuel pump for instance could be a major problem that might not show up until tuned) not to mention that most of them could be put on 100% stock cars, a real tuner can take any and all mods into consideration, or configure it for special request.

also there is not a whole lot of power that can be freed up with the tune, most of the difference is from the trans tuning, which again is better when done by somebody that actually has hands on experience with the LS.

also, if you ever have any issues with the tune (which a lot of people have for many many different reasons) you can data log and send it back to the real tuner and have adjustments made.

as far as "another couple hundred of dollars" on top of the tuner price, a lot of guys will cut a discount if you buy the tuner and the tunes from the same guy, years ago when my cousin had a former tuner on here do his car, he got the tuner and two or three tunes pre-loaded and shipped for just a few bucks more that what it could be had for online.

and if you really want it done right, you can not beat a dyno tune, this option will be the most expensive, but will allow you to squeeze as much as possible out of your car, and will help to discover any issues your car may be having.

If you don't have the extra money for the tunes, you probably should't be buying the tuner, hence why I don't have one yet. It would be like buying new wheels and not putting the proper tire on it, because it costs extra.

The stock unit is VERY capable of utilizing the couple of mods. I have. This is from 2 tuner guys. It can always be upgraded later IF need be. They said I may be very surprised with the good performance from the stock unit and my mods. The SCT is a VERY good tuner, even with the stock options.

interesting that the tune guys would rather sell you on some other companies tunes rather than their own...

probably best that you dont let them do it after all.

I have already done a search. I have an '06 LS with air intake and full cat back including Magnaflow X pipe ans Thrush Turbos. Will the stock SCT SP3 program be OK for my set-up? I can not afford a special tune because I am buying a new trans.
Thanks

Not sure what advice your looking for then, but to answer your only question, Yes, it will be OK for your set up. will it be dramatically different-no.

Although i wouldn't push the car to hard if your having tranny problems.... but hay, your car

The Sct sp3 is a good tuner. I find it hard to believe that a "special" tune would make that much difference for my little mods. This is after talking to a couple of tuners. At least not to justify another couple hundred of dollars on top of the tuner price.

It's not a couple of hundred dollars for a tune from a reputable dealer, i.e. Torrie. As well as it's well documented the preloaded files from SCT are not much of an improvement. I don't understand why you would easily spend $380on something people are telling you not to and have issue spending less then $100 more on a recommended product.

I actually asked the question before talking to them. They would be more than happy to "take my money" if that is what I want, as they said. I will probably use one of the later after witnessing the results 1st hand. I DO appreciate EVERYONE'S opinions though. Everyone will ALWAYS have their own opinions and they all are valuable. Plus I looked EVERYWHERE for a contact point or number for Torrie and was unsuccessful. Yes I used search. The rebuilt trans. will be installed next week with a Transgo kit.
THANKS GUYS

Members online

Back