Scanner advice

kaha

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Been learning a lot here on this forum, hat's off to all of you!

My Mark is the first car I've owned that was computerized (last ride was a '73 Econoline van with a 302, drove it for 12 years. Life was much simpler). :lol:

Today my ABS light came on, and I also noticed that the traction control was not working. Some searching in these forums and others told me that it's likely a dirty or bad wheel sensor, or possibly a bad ABS module. I've also been noticing that many folks here have scanners to get the trouble codes and localize problems.

What is a good (and not too expensive) scanner that I could buy for my '96 LSC? I mention the year because I've learned that the '96 was the Odd Duck and many things that apply to other Gen 1 Marks do not apply to this girl.

Thanks in advance!

-Karl

Last edited:
I never had a problem with the orange Actron readers from any parts store. You can get basic model or live time. Now they also bundle the engine code reader and the ABS code reader in one unit. I say get that one then you have all needed.

isn't the 96 a OBD II? if so, go to Advance Auto and they let you use a good scanner for free. I had the same problem with my ABS last week. I have a gen I so i did the paperclip trick on the ABS diagnostic plug and it gave me 2 codes on the brakes, I replaced the sensor the code gave me and that wasnt it, so I replaced the entire ABS control and it fixed it, luckily pick and pull had half price sale, so i got the entire unit for $40.

I *think* the 96 is OBD II. I remember someone here saying in another thread that this was the beauty of the '96: Gen 1 styling with Gen 2 electronics. The UGLY is the various '96-specific parts.

Thanks for the responses, like I said this whole world of "somewhat up to date cars" is new to me, I'm still used to turning a wrench on a '70s era van with a three on the tree and a healthy 302. So I'm sucking up you guys' knowledge like a vampire and trying to learn. :)

What's the paperclip trick, and where is the ABS diagnostic plug?

I never had a problem with the orange Actron readers from any parts store. You can get basic model or live time. Now they also bundle the engine code reader and the ABS code reader in one unit. I say get that one then you have all needed.

I'd heard that one mentioned many times also. It'll work with a '96?

Not the cheapest one, but I got a brand new Actron CP9150 for $150+shipping on eBay and its been great so far. It does OBD I and II, so I can use it on the old and new stuff here :)
I'm thinking of upgrading to a CP9190 now as it has a few more thing and can be found for around $300-350 on eBay etc and it does both too...

Checked out the ebay listings for the Actron, and the cheapest I could come up with was like $250 :eek: so I ordered the Eqqus unit for $150.

Thanks again for the input!

Checked out the ebay listings for the Actron, and the cheapest I could come up with was like $250 :eek: so I ordered the Eqqus unit for $150.

Looks good but the feedback states that this unit does not correctly identify proper bad ABS sensor. hmmm

That sucks, for that price I'd pay a bit more and get the 9190. :( Hopefully the Eqqus does a good job for you, though it's only OBD II.

That sucks, for that price I'd pay a bit more and get the 9190. :( Hopefully the Eqqus does a good job for you, though it's only OBD II.

i can tell you first hand these work well with ford abs,atleast for any problems i ever had, never used them on gm or other.

good luck, hope it works for you too.

Icarus, they sell the Innova at Canadian Tire and it is on sale this week for 199.00. It does OBDI and OBDII as well as ABS if I am not mistaken.

Yes, I saw that quickly. I still like the Actron stuff better personally though.

Sapperfire has a nice Matco one I like to use. Does ABS and can test all sensors and read real time data from the port. Does OBD I and II and it a nice user friendly interface. Its a little slow on startup but I assume thats because it does so much. Not sure how much it was though.

I think its the MD1000 Pro but not positive.

What's the paperclip trick, and where is the ABS diagnostic plug?

On my 93, directly behind the passenger side headlight is the ABS test port
( red plug with black cap) on the red plug, looking at the side you would plug into the scan tool, you see two rows of slots, two on top, four on the bottom. The slot to use is the third from left on the bottom row. Take a wire and insert one end there, the other end to a ground, then turn the ignition on and count the flashes made by the ABS light on your dash.

Sapperfire has a nice Matco one I like to use. Does ABS and can test all sensors and read real time data from the port. Does OBD I and II and it a nice user friendly interface. Its a little slow on startup but I assume thats because it does so much. Not sure how much it was though.

I think its the MD1000 Pro but not positive.
Turns out his is the MD1010RC so thats prolly more then you wanna spend. :lol:

Not sure how much less functions the 1000 Pro has but its only $200 on ebay right now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back