Scanned with Forscan, my results. Need some help.

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, no misfires tonight. No DTC's in computer. Everything checks out.
Scanned my Evap, Emissions, and Fuel rail system. I dunno if there's something I missed, but if you guys want me to live scan anything or graph something, please let me know and I will do it and report back. Below is my results.

I appreciate the help fellas; If I can nip this phantom misfire in the bud i'd be so happy.

EDIT: I also scanned injectors for fault, No fault on all 8.
Ls Scan 1.jpeg

LS scan 2.jpeg

Anyone got any suggestions or tips? I would like to swap the injectors this week if that is likely the issue. Thanks

Anyone got any suggestions or tips? I would like to swap the injectors this week if that is likely the issue. Thanks
I'm not understanding completely....you say there is no faults or misfires ...What do you need advise with? If you have no misfires I would come to the conclusion your LS is running properly...

I'm not understanding completely....you say there is no faults or misfires ...What do you need advise with? If you have no misfires I would come to the conclusion your LS is running properly...

It misfires on startup (cold start). If I scan on cold start I will get misfire DTC on a random cylinder on Bank 2 - which I've replaced the ignition coils AND plugs on all the cylinders. Usually I will see misfire on Cyl 8, 6, or 5. And when I run the tune, and only with the tune, it goes into failsafe, but gives NO DTC's other than the DTC for failsafe.

That's what I'm battling.

Last edited:
Something's going on with cylinder #6.

Ya, I gather those 11 misfire were on startup. I heard them when I turned it on. Thing is, notice it's only 11? On a 35 minute trip, it should be WAY more if it were PCM or coils. I heard like all 11 on startup. So the whole car warms up, and misfire stops.
Why?

And why does it failsafe with NO other DTC when the tune is on???? This is making me crazy.

Fwiw, after I did this scan, I swapped coils #6 with #5.
Tomorrow on a cold start, I'm gonna see if #5 misfires. If it's still #6 misfiring, then I'm duped.

My experience looking for marginal coils and such is that very low counts (3 or less even) do indicate a problem.

My experience looking for marginal coils and such is that very low counts (3 or less even) do indicate a problem.

A problem? As in, either the coil itself is faulty or possibly PCM?
But if it's electrical (assuming), why does it go away when the vehicle warms up? I mean, if the PCM were damage due to bad coils, wouldn't it keep misfiring regardless of engine temp?

Some electrical things do improve with heat. Anyway, there's not enough info to say if this is electrical or mechanical, coil, plug, injector, crank sensor, air leak, or whatever. But at least you know a little more about where to look.

Update:

FORScan found other codes that I didn't see before doing a DTC scan.
IC: B1875
IC: U1262
ABS: U1073
ABS: U1262
ABS: C1805
ABS: B2900

Ran ABS on demand self test, no errors found
Ran IC on demand self test, no errors found

This is from my 30 minute drive home this evening. I saved the Live Time, but not sure how to upload the .FSL file, so I took screenshots. I used my tablet to log on the drive home.

View attachment 828574301

View attachment 828574302

View attachment 828574303

View attachment 828574304

View attachment 828574305
Everything looks normal with your maf... Just wondering if you unplugged your MAF before turning car on and starting it? Any difference? I don't want to jump to conclusions of the bazaar but I wonder if the tune you downloaded has something to do with this cold start up misfire issue

ABS: C1805
ABS: B2900...

I don't know how likely it is, but this could be a cause of your ETC failsafe with your tune. I would not have expected it though. Do you know if the tune changes the VIN in the PCM? ETC relies on good communication between the PCM and the ABS module. Otherwise, it has to fall back on one of the ETC failsafe strategies.

Anyway, of course it's not related you your misfires on #6.

I don't know how likely it is, but this could be a cause of your ETC failsafe with your tune. I would not have expected it though. Do you know if the tune changes the VIN in the PCM? .

Torrie did ask me for my VIN when making the tune file. I think he 'marries' the tune to the PCM.

Do you think its more likely: ABS module was replaced, as well IC module, and not programmed?
OR
PCM was replaced, and not programmed with the cars VIN? You know what, im gonna scan the PCM for the VIN today and see if it matches the VIN on my dash.
Something's fishy here, why two modules (Not sure what the IC module is) are both throwing faults.

Just wondering if you unplugged your MAF before turning car on and starting it? Any difference? I don't want to jump to conclusions of the bazaar but I wonder if the tune you downloaded has something to do with this cold start up misfire issue

Its been misfiring since I got it. The tune only actuated the failsafe, but I long since pulled the tune and returned to stock. I'll try out disconnecting MAF and see what happens.

Yes, it's possible that your ABS module was replaced and not correctly programmed/calibrated in.

IC is the instrument cluster. Neither code with it suggests it may have been replaced.
B1875 is often the result of the contacts on the turn signal switch getting a little dirty. As long as the turn signals are always working correctly for you, you can ignore it. (Note that it is the instrument cluster that reads the turn signal switch.)
U1262 is SCP (J1850) Communication Bus Fault, which is not unheard of to happen now and then. If it clears and doesn't come back right away, then it's probably not a problem.

Update:
So I scanned PCM for VIN. It Matches my dash, and ownership. Good lol
I called Ford and the parts rep said he thinks the ABS must me remarried to the PCM. Can FORScan do this? I know FORScan can read and program keys, not sure about anything else.

I took the liberty of taking screenshots while in there and here's all the modules for my LS. I don't see anything wrong in it, but here they are:

Screenshot_2020-06-16-16-41-07.jpg

Screenshot_2020-06-16-16-41-02.jpg

Screenshot_2020-06-16-16-40-53.jpg

So, good news / bad news. It looks like it can, but needs data copied from the original module...

Lincoln LS ABS modules - FORScan forum

HAHAHA Well. Damn.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll call Ford tomorrow and find out what they charge. I honestly think you are on to something with the Failsafe caused by the communication with the ABS module.

What I'm gonna do is email Torrie, and let him know the issue, and see if he can work around this in the tune file. I hope ...

Something's going on with cylinder #6.
I had the same issue on a 2004 ls v6 turned out to be a leaking EGR Valve, i was getting random misfire codes lean/rich O2 codes. I had just replaced the EGR with a standard motor part, I switch to a Motorcraft, Problem solved, never buy aftermarket if u can avoid it. Thanks

Wow, you guys have a great gift to gather, interpet data, and apply appropriate action. There is no way I can understand the depth and analysis these scanners supply.

Taking it to a shop brings a whole myriad of issues like poorly trained techs and unscrupulous owners. The car is not worth a ton of $ so the window of reasonable repairs is narrow at best. I've given this thing the best of components where necessary but it just keeps coming up lame. May be time to cut bait on this over engineered $ pit. My Benz's and BMW's were more reliable and easier to work on. With 50k miles on her, I can't imagine the getting another 100k. Some of you guys are very fortunate.

Torrie did ask me for my VIN when making the tune file. I think he 'marries' the tune to the PCM.

Do you think its more likely: ABS module was replaced, as well IC module, and not programmed?
OR
PCM was replaced, and not programmed with the cars VIN? You know what, im gonna scan the PCM for the VIN today and see if it matches the VIN on my dash.
Something's fishy here, why two modules (Not sure what the IC module is) are both throwing faults.

Its been misfiring since I got it. The tune only actuated the failsafe, but I long since pulled the tune and returned to stock. I'll try out disconnecting MAF and see what happens.
Did you ever get a chance to run car with the MAF unplugged ....what was the outcome? Did you get those fuel injectors replaced? Just curious

Members online

No members online now.
Back