SC Shootout

driller

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It was a long weekend in Ohio at the SCCOA Shootout.

Started out the race day running 13.83 @ 98.70, then I started tuning in the fuel pressure. Following a 13.81 @ 99.09 time trial, the second bump in fuel pressure gave me a 13.77 @ 99.33 in the first round of brackets. Another bump in fuel pressure netted the best time of the day with 13.635 @ 101.58 - a new mph record for the Blue Flame.

The afternoon was warming quickly, so with a 13.55 dial changed to a 13.60, another round in the brackets brought in a 13.656 @ 101.58 timeslip against a Cougar with a 4.6L DOHC who redlighted himself out of the brackets.

Two more rounds, one a bye and another against the only other Lincoln(who broke out), I found myself where I had never been before - the finals. The hotlapping was taking a toll on the Lincoln's ET, but I was reluctant to change the dial, so I let it ride for the final run of the day...

>> "driller" - "dirtydog"
Dial - 13.60 - 14.84
R/T - 0.5951 - 0.4260(!!)
60ft - 2.004 - 2.0958
330ft - 5.7427 - 6.1809
1/8 - 8.8399 - 9.5779
MPH - 79.20 - 71.31
1/4 - 13.8407 - 15.0710
MPH - 98.06 - 88.73
MOV - 0.1788 :D

1732.jpg

1733.jpg

drillr.jpg

Thanks! :D

The corrected numbers are very encouraging for the trap speeds...

Based on:
Temp: 67.6°
Humidity: 52%
Track Altitude: 900 feet
Pressure: 30.12 in.

Density Altitude = 1598 feet
Uncorrected 13.6352 @ 101.58
Corrected 13.4 @ 103.36

If I can get the car running like it should with some good air at a nice track this fall... :cool:

For those who don't know, my goal for the trap speed this year was 103 mph. ;)

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Very nice. So the intake proved to be worth something like .15 and 1.5 would you say?

Perhaps not so much by itself as it simply complements the headers and exhaust. The performance of many mods depend upon other mods or lack thereof.

Corrected numbers do indicate perhaps as much as .15 and 1.5 and if so it would be slightly more than what I had expected. It is difficult to quantify such a performance increase based on one track event at a track I've not run before. But you look for obvious trends, and certainly the trend appears to be on the rise. ;)

I understand the average of averages. So hard to nail down the exact improvement of a mod that is expected to give .1 when a car that runs within .2 is considered extremely consistent. Some don't get that I do. But your gut is telling you its doing better than hoped, thats great. I ran my 78 Mustang at the track after a year without a clocked run and quit a few mods added. Only beat my best by .1 but average of 3 runs was better by .2. Still disgusted I left it on the trailer and took it back next week to run .25 better on all the runs that night, just better air.

I had my intake off on the Mark8 a few years ago and I did some stuff similar and seemed to get some strong high rpm pull. My only track run was pathetic with traction and wheel mass slowing it, but I know it did something while hard to prove.

One big variable is the track. Even though the air may be the same, I find it difficult to compare actual numbers between tracks. Once I get to run again at a familar track, I'll have a better idea of the average improvement. :)

look for me there next year driller i am working on an engine its a coy miller 3.8l stage II super coupe motor for my 95 mustang. its supposed to be pushing over 500 hp at the wheels. we'll run them next year if your down

Wicked_LS said:
look for me there next year driller i am working on an engine its a coy miller 3.8l stage II super coupe motor for my 95 mustang. its supposed to be pushing over 500 hp at the wheels. we'll run them next year if your down

Like this?

mini-DSC01304.jpg

There were some bad rides there for sure. HP wise, puts my little Mark 8 to shame. More pics at my photo albums.

driller said:
For those who don't know, my goal for the trap speed this year was 103 mph. ;)

That was my goal, as well before I slapped the blower in. Almost got it, too, on street tires about a month ago with a 102.7 :shifty:

Good stuff, JP. You gonna be down at SSHS6?

Members online

Back