say goodbye to our favorite dinosore

lincolnjlincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well as 2009 approaches so does the end of the town car the last of the big cars replaced as the flagship sedan of the Lincoln marquee by the mk-s which by the way is a mid size front or all wheel drive we can't say she didn't have a long run been around since the 1970's she has been a good car served everyone from presidents to mafia but this is not the the time for the big car it's by everyone else's standards out dated besides this isn't the first time an auto maker has killed off an outstanding vehicle dodge killed the charger challenger an avenger Cadillac killed the coupe deville and let's not forget that even the town car had it's day when it stole it's thunder from
the continental years ago so we must bid it adeu and goodbye and only hope ford has the decency to give it a proper send off make the greatest town car of all!

But don't hold your breath, they probably won't.

Don't dispair guys. Ford needs a new large rear drive platform and they know it. I'm sure we'll see another great in short order, we'll just have to wait a little for it.

As for the MKS being a mid size car, I'm banking you've never actually seen it Mr. J because that car has more trunk space and leg room (front and back) than the TC ever did (being as in the 70's Town Car was an option package applied to the Continental, the Town Car as its own model appeared after 1980. . . I'm thinking '81 or '82). By those two metrics alone it is a very large car. It really is HUGE by every metric, except when comparing exterior dimentions to the Town Car.

Honestly, the Panther platform represented one with vast amounts of wasted space. To me, the Panther car would be well suited for an electric car conversion as it allows enough space for vast amounts of batteries and endless electric drive train configuration possiblilites, but in gasoline or diesel powered form its just too darn heavy with too much air space that could be taken up with other things. Just imagine how big the trunk would be if it had independant rear suspention and a fuel tank under the back seat instead of in its current location. There is plenty of room to do that in the platform's current state, but its too late to save this technologically archaic platform.

Back around 2003-2005 I was calling for a new Lincoln on what at the time were popular classic lincoln threads. I asked for a radical change similar to what Lincoln did in the '60s and '70s and challened them to come up with a new look in a smaller unit body (but rear drive) package that had lots of power and all the luxury Lincoln buyers have come to expect. I think the MKS is nearly exactly that and I expect the next rear drive longitudinal engine Ford platform will fill all the gaps left by the introduction of the MKS and demise of the Town Car.

Chin up guys! The rear drive Lincoln's day isn't over yet!

I'm banking you've never actually seen it Mr. J because that car has more trunk space and leg room (front and back) than the TC ever did

That's odd not only have I seen it, but we own one & I completely DISAGREE. There is no way the MKS has more leg room. Not only does the center console restrict the leg room up front you have to have the front seat just about all the way back & if your over 5'8 or so the seat is on your legs if your in the back!

They might need a new big rear drive car, but solid axle, body on frame? This is it folks.

My mistake. I used Taurus dimensions for the MKS as I was under the impression they were the same car. In the case of the Taurus, it does have bigger trunk and more rear seat leg room. The MKS is about 1.5 cubic feet smaller in the trunk and doesn't call out rear seat leg room on the Lincoln site. Just a slight gyp there for a car thats suppose to be more luxury than the Taurus.

Either way, its still a big car.

Its true, solid rear axle body on frame has got to go. That platform has been in configurations very close to its current iteration for 29 model years now. Thats a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Ford knows a LOT about the durability and crashworthiness of that platform and what needs to be done each year to fix issues, but we need a big car that represents a revolutionary change like the one Panther offered when it was nearly completely redesigned between Mark V and Mark VI. Evolutionary stuff like we've seen since the giant leap made in 1980 just doesn't cut it anymore.

We, the people who want to buy lincoln cars throughout our lives need something we can be proud to drive, something that others our age understand the greatness.

Here's what I think needs to be built in case anyone from Ford or Lincoln of power is watching:. . .

Its gotta be BIG, I'm talking freaking HUGE. Lets use a wheelbase equivalent to the 70's continental.

Use an inline 6 engine. Those are naturally balanced, meaning they are smooth even when they are running bad! I'm thinking 3.0L with twin turbos to reduce lag.

Rear drive or AWD only with longitudinal engine/transmission configuration. Thats just the way it has to be. The people of Ford are big boys and girls now, they can figure out how to keep the chassis light and rigid at the same time. Do it.

It has to be ULTIMATE luxury. While it is important a car have good handling to be fun to drive its even more important that the car have the smoothest ride available across the market. Sacrifice a little agility and gain a lot of luxury.

Lastly. . . . suicide doors. I don't think there's more to say here. . . .

People will flock to the dealerships because they will be offered a classic american big car with lots of style. Size still matters to the buying public. Same goes for a smooth ride. If you can provide a package that contains a super smooth ride, lots of style, great safety, and that gets decent fuel mileage you will have a product thats a cut above anything else on the market.

^^^^ I agree with alot about what you said but there needs to be a body on frame car nothing rides like one so keep the TC but for a new lincoln there needs to be a car like you said but with a real motor like a V12 if you think a I6 is smooth then drive a V12 and there also needs to be a 2 door version

i would agree with a V-12 only if it were a small displacement V-12 like a 5 liter, but add some displacement on demand and i think it would have a smooth motor with good fuel mileage

Members online

No members online now.
Back