Routing Cable From Trunk to Cabin

M4rk

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this weekend I'll be installing a reverse camera to aid my blind ass with reversing the LS - what is the best way to route the cable from the trunk lid, to the center storage compartment/arm rest?

I've never done this kind of thing, so I am looking for some input and tips :)

Cheers!

For myself I went from the center storage under all that into where the bunwarmers are, through the glove box, and along the door trim, like under the things that say 'ls' think they are called kick plates or something like that, then kinds stuffed the wires in the side of the rear seats and however you want once inside the trunk..

Maybe not the best way but it worked fine for me. Good luck

Under the drivers side door sills, make a right under the steering wheel, in through the center console compartment. If you actually want to get it inside the arm rest compartment, there is a plug in the center that you can take off exposing a hole, make this hole bigger to fit your plugs/wires or just make your own hole in the desired area. I just took the center console out the work on it with much more ease.

Also if you don't want to route the cable below the streering wheel area, you can route the cable under the passenger side door sills and lift up the passenger side carpet to place it under and route it up to the center console area

I went from passenger side trunk arm to behind same trunk side liner,

then underneath center of back seat.

Then under carpet on the hump to the center console area.

The hardest part is going under carpet on the hump, I think I used a wire hanger type device and tied the cable(s) to it and fished it through.

I have put 4 backup cameras in along with touch screens

HAVE INSTALLED 4 IN LINCOLN LS THEY WORK GREAT!

Best routing requires removal of the rear seat cushion (rear easy: Two releases at front of seat, push a small pin into right rear shoulder belt to release). Remove right (passenger side) of trunk liner, and the trunk lid liner. The wiring is the weird part. The LS backup bulbs power up backwards and are module controlled.

Remove half of the wiring protector conduit on the right trunk lid hinge arm.

Remove electrical tape from the conduit that goes up to the trunk hinge arm R-side.
Run RCA video cable and power wire though the hinge arm plastic conduit down though the conduit on right hand trunk side. Ground the negative wire to car body or trunk lid. Run a wire from the (-) negative turn on side of the backup lamps along side the camera power wire.

Remember the rear electrical module REM grounds the backup lamps to turn them on so you will have to install a power reversing relay under the center console. One side of the relay coil is connected to the Radio touch screen reverse trigger wire and the other is powered by accessory or battery saver circuit.

Route wires from the trunk under the right rear seat hinge area next to factory harness, under the floor insulation under the rear seat and through the short section of carpet (lift up to make easy) to the console. There you have a direct shot to the radio display on the dash. Good place to mount the reversing relay.

Get the camera from Ecomaster (model VM-301) it mounts in the surround above the license plate (most effective place and angle). Don't use one of those cheesy junk kits with a display with radio controlled cameras that bolt to the license plate.

HAVE INSTALLED 4 IN LINCOLN LS THEY WORK GREAT!

Best routing requires removal of the rear seat cushion (rear easy: Two releases at front of seat, push a small pin into right rear shoulder belt to release). Remove right (passenger side) of trunk liner, and the trunk lid liner. The wiring is the weird part. The LS backup bulbs power up backwards and are module controlled.

Remove half of the wiring protector conduit on the right trunk lid hinge arm.

Remove electrical tape from the conduit that goes up to the trunk hinge arm R-side.
Run RCA video cable and power wire though the hinge arm plastic conduit down though the conduit on right hand trunk side. Ground the negative wire to car body or trunk lid. Run a wire from the (-) negative turn on side of the backup lamps along side the camera power wire.

Remember the rear electrical module REM grounds the backup lamps to turn them on so you will have to install a power reversing relay under the center console. One side of the relay coil is connected to the Radio touch screen reverse trigger wire and the other is powered by accessory or battery saver circuit.

Route wires from the trunk under the right rear seat hinge area next to factory harness, under the floor insulation under the rear seat and through the short section of carpet (lift up to make easy) to the console. There you have a direct shot to the radio display on the dash. Good place to mount the reversing relay.

Get the camera from Ecomaster (model VM-301) it mounts in the surround above the license plate (most effective place and angle). Don't use one of those cheesy junk kits with a display with radio controlled cameras that bolt to the license plate.

You do not need a relay for the reverse signal... The REM puts out a 12 volt signal for the auto dimming rear view mirror at connector C420b pin#4 white/blue wire. You can also access connector C311 pin#8 white/blue wire that is on the passenger side roof pillar(behind the trim piece that the seat belt comes out of).

You do not need a relay for the reverse signal... The REM puts out a 12 volt signal for the auto dimming rear view mirror at connector C420b pin#4 white/blue wire. You can also access connector C311 pin#8 white/blue wire that is on the passenger side roof pillar(behind the trim piece that the seat belt comes out of).

That's what I used.

Thank you for the input guys! I think I'll give it a try under the seats and through the driveshaft hump carpeted area, directly into the compartment.

So, there seems to be some conflicting info out there. I should just be able to simply tap into the reverse bulbs to power the camera, correct?

Thank you for the input guys! I think I'll give it a try under the seats and through the driveshaft hump carpeted area, directly into the compartment.

So, there seems to be some conflicting info out there. I should just be able to simply tap into the reverse bulbs to power the camera, correct?

That's not a good way to run the wires. There are wiring channels on both sides of the car, under the carpet, under the trim at the doors. Use one of them.

No, unless your camera system will work on a negative trigger, you will have to use the signal that runs to the mirror that mtggtmmtg pointed out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back