Rough low idle then dies

I apologize for the response taking so long. I didn't get the part til yesterday. So i removed the old IAC and the whole throttle body, replaced IAC, cleaned plate, MAF, and whole throttle body, re-assembled, checked hoses, and fired her up! ........... NOTHING. Now she won't even turn over. I'm at a loss on where to go from here some expert advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I got some air in my system? How would I go about purging it? I live in northern California if any one can reccommend a mechanic or dealer with LS experience? Or I will pay cash to a respectable member that could come help me if they live in the area and wouldn't mind driving here (since it won't start). I'm just troubled by this new problem and since I can't even move it, I don't know what to do. Thanks.

I apologize for the response taking so long. I didn't get the part til yesterday. So i removed the old IAC and the whole throttle body, replaced IAC, cleaned plate, MAF, and whole throttle body, re-assembled, checked hoses, and fired her up! ........... NOTHING. Now she won't even turn over. I'm at a loss on where to go from here some expert advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I got some air in my system? How would I go about purging it? I live in northern California if any one can reccommend a mechanic or dealer with LS experience? Or I will pay cash to a respectable member that could come help me if they live in the area and wouldn't mind driving here (since it won't start). I'm just troubled by this new problem and since I can't even move it, I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Okay, this is hard to diagnose because I suspect that some terms are being used incorrectly.

When someone says "It won't start." that could mean almost anything.

It won't "turn over" means that the starter won't engage and rotate the crankshaft. Is that really the problem, and your starter doesn't even work now? Or did you really mean that it turns over, but it won't fire up and run?

If it's really that it just won't fire up, then unplug the MAF and try again. Maybe you damaged it when cleaning it, or maybe you don't have the air intake hoses all correctly reconnected. Also, try starting it with the gas pedal held half-way down. If you smell gasoline, then hold it all the way down.

Stupid question - but did you check to make sure all the connectors were secured?

Maybe the IAC is faulty?

I'm sorry my car isn't dead, it just won't fire up. The starter is fine. I checked all electrical/hoses and they were fine. I will go try to unplug MAF and try that along with the gas pedal start. It could be faulty, which is why I'm soaking the old IAC in solvent now and if all this fails, I will replace the new IAC with the old and compare. I'm really at a loss for ideas and this is my daily driver, so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

I got her to start this morning without touching anything yet. Still counds like crap, but she started. After starting to remove everything, I found a small plastic tube that had been snapped clean through. I never noticed this until now, so I am not sure when it happened. Could this be the culprit of my problems?

car2.jpg

I got her to start this morning without touching anything yet. Still counds like crap, but she started. After starting to remove everything, I found a small plastic tube that had been snapped clean through. I never noticed this until now, so I am not sure when it happened. Could this be the culprit of my problems?

Yes. You have a vacuum leak. Get some rubber vacuum line from Napa or other parts store and patch it in. I would purchase extra as you will probably break more off those hard plastic lines fixing the original broken line. You might also need some "T" and straight connectors.

Sorry, the picture isn't clear enough for me to see what it is.

Any air leak on the intake (before or after the throttle plate) will likely kill the engine. The reason is that the leaking air is not metered by the MAF. The PCM will think that the engine is ingesting less air than it really is, so it will supply too little fuel (since it is trying to match the fuel to the air). This will cause a stall if the difference between how much air is going in and how much the MAF sees is too much. At idle, it doesn't take much of a difference.

Coming right out of plastic valve cover's corner. The other end connects to throttle body after plate on part that sticks out after electrical connector.

phpWV1HxWPM.jpg

phpItVzfkPM.jpg

Ahhhh... Looks like the PCV line. Replace with appropriate tubing/hose.

Coming right out of plastic valve cover's corner. The other end connects to throttle body after plate on part that sticks out after electrical connector.

Yeah, that's one of the two PCV lines. It'll let in enough unmetered air to kill the engine for sure.

Just replaced the tube and she started up beautifully! Still heard a very slight miss after she idled for a minute, but im guessing its from another bad COP or something. I'm going to take her for a spin then update again. Thanks for all the help guys. :D

yeah that would be a massive vacuum leak after the MAF

Drives awesome now. Feels better than before too after cleaning throttle plate/body and replacing IAC. Thanks for the help everyone.

Me too. Now that it runs I can get around to my Eibachs, new set of fog lights, brand new chrome 18's, window regulator, valve cover gaskets... and the list goes on...

Members online

No members online now.
Back