Rotating assemblies?

Pirate

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I now have a 1994 MK8 parked in my driveway (126K miles). Seeing as how it's now mine, and I really like driving it (short of the absolutely dangerous low-beam headlight problems with these cars), I'd like to get another bullet ready to go, due to the existing engine in this car being a bit noisy in the bearing department on startup (previous owner believed in the rather-dubious religion of "Oil Can Henry's", and I think that this local shop simply topped off the oil for the last few years, the oil was freaking nasty).

Anyhoo, I have a bare Teksid block already, and I'd like to possibly scare up a decent rotating assembly for this block, anybody here have a few links to (possibly) better-than-stock assemblies? I'd consider anything between stock to Cobra-level (I'd like to mod this car later), and even a 5.0 stroker kit might be an option...

Something like this, perhaps:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-16424020/overview/make/ford

Of course, I've seen very few assemblies out there which are compatible with DOHC heads...(none, actually)...

If its only noisy on startup, I'd bet its just timing chain guides and tentioners. Fairly cheap fix if you've got the tools for it

If you're not timing the engine yourself, you'd be financially better just getting a built block. There were a few 98 Cobra engines on eBay a couple weeks ago.

Definitely not trying to insult your car intelligence, but are you sure you're not just hearing the timing chain assembly? This vintage of the 4.6l was well known for having a very noisy cold startup because of it.

Definitely not trying to insult your car intelligence, but are you sure you're not just hearing the timing chain assembly? This vintage of the 4.6l was well known for having a very noisy cold startup because of it.

No, you're not insulting me at all, lol.

The previous owner was a religious zealot of the "Oil Can Henry's" variety, and the stuff that came out of the engine almost looked like tar, even though the glovebox was 'full of records'. With my personally having heard and witnessed the horrors that these types of businesses inflict on the local automotive citizenry (simply topping off oil for a few years with repeat customers, leaving drain plugs out, stripping drain plugs, allowing cars to leave without any oil in the engines)...and noting that the engine didn't make any noise before the oil change...with it now doing so, along with the valve guide smoke suddenly appearing...I'm convinced that the bottom end isn't long for this world.

I've worked on other MK8's, several Cobras, and quite a few SOHC mod motors (I used to own a shop), and have heard the resulting mechanical chicanery that usually occurs with those types of failures, I'm fairly certain that this is the problem, and it doesn't really matter anyway, as I'm wanting to start with a fresh (or fresher) engine anyway before I start to perform mods to this car.

If it gets a bit too ridiculous (I'm not impressed with the tight fit of this engine anyway), if I don't find something at least quasi-reasonable, I do have a pair of early 5.3 LS engines in the garage...

...but I'm not really interested in a hideous project like swapping in an LS (or other) engine would entail, as I would rather just bolt something back in that I don't have to fab entirely from scratch.

So, to that end, here I am, lol.

All my mk8's do the start up noise, gone in couple seconds. Don't worry about it. Run a anti-drain back filter and good oil and be done. Also MMR sells a $1799 rotating assembly I think.

Forget that LS nonsense.The ghost of ole henry will haunt you forever if you even think of that again.Its a FORD not gubmint motors.

I would suggest a MMR shortblock. They have the fastest modulars in the country right now and know what they are doing with these motors.

Members online

No members online now.
Back