Ride with 4.10 Gears?!?!

custom97'Mark

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who out their has 4.10 gears on their mark, and how it drives in city, hwy., etc. I just ordered ford racing 4.10 gears, lsd locker, and a bearing/seal kit for mine.

wow. that's a new question. never heard that before. nope.
this has been covered multiple times.
its fine. but it will be in overdrive really early. the shifts points will be very early. you will want a tune sooner or later. turn the OD off in the city and go for it.
search please. :)

hmm. 15-18 mpg. driving a crappy hilly highway to school. several short trips here in town to grab late night food with friends. and several foot to the floor accelerations. always premium fuel.

so not great, but i saw 25 on a real interstate once. haven't had a chance to repeat it.

wow. that's a new question. never heard that before. nope.
this has been covered multiple times.
its fine. but it will be in overdrive really early. the shifts points will be very early. you will want a tune sooner or later. turn the OD off in the city and go for it.
search please. :)

So even w/ a corrected speedo a tune is still needed? Didn't think our OBD1 cars needed one...

NEED is a pretty strong word.
i drove my 4.10s for 3 months without a tune. so you don't NEED one.
however, the tune provides an updated shift pattern which is just better. (and keeps you out of OD at 28 mph...)
and does alot of other things to help you. the tune isn't just about the fixed shifting, its about torque converter lockup, cooling fan speeds, shift firmness, AF ratios, EGR activity, blah blah blah.

so a tune is better, but if you don't want it now, just turn off the OD while you're in the city. works fine.

14.3 mpg with 4.30s and 3800 stall. I have yet to see 15 lol but I have yet to not be smiling when I drive it lol A stall will use more gas but amplifies the effect with steep gears.

NEED is a pretty strong word.
i drove my 4.10s for 3 months without a tune. so you don't NEED one.
however, the tune provides an updated shift pattern which is just better. (and keeps you out of OD at 28 mph...)
and does alot of other things to help you. the tune isn't just about the fixed shifting, its about torque converter lockup, cooling fan speeds, shift firmness, AF ratios, EGR activity, blah blah blah. so a tune is better, but if you don't want it now, just turn off the OD while you're in the city. works fine.

True. However I was under the assumption by reading your post that it was undriveable til tuned. Makes sense now.

A tune is in the plans eventually.

14.3 mpg with 4.30s and 3800 stall. I have yet to see 15 lol but I have yet to not be smiling when I drive it lol A stall will use more gas but amplifies the effect with steep gears.

i want to pick up a 3500 stall this summer. gas mileage can go sit in the corner for all i care.

I got a volo tuner chip off ebay for $100? Don't know if its any good, I was going to hook that thing up after he's done installing it. How bout Burn Outs!! Those 4.10's, with posi make the mark viii's do good burn outs?!?!

I got a volo tuner chip off ebay for $100? Don't know if its any good, I was going to hook that thing up after he's done installing it. How bout Burn Outs!! Those 4.10's, with posi make the mark viii's do good burn outs?!?!

Oh yeah dude. Don't worry, you will be smokin' em lol.

i've never heard of that brand..

burn outs? i can stomp it leaving my driveway and leave tire marks til 3 houses up. my mom was pissed...

Thats whats up!! Hopefully I don't crash it!! Lol What about high way driving? I herd you can't go over 60-70?

Thats whats up!! Hopefully I don't crash it!! Lol What about high way driving? I herd you can't go over 60-70?

sort of. the factory speed limiter is 130 ish mph. changing the gears just moves everything down accordingly.

3.08/4.10=.7512
.7512*130=97.6 mph.

so you'll be limited to 97 until you get a chip/tuner to turn that off. i kinda doubt that volo thing will do it.

i've seen 145 or so. (closed course, professional driver. of course. :cool:)

I get 24 mpg on highway and 19 in town with 4.10 and have no problems at 75 mph and 2700 rpm but I usually ride at 65 or 70 on highway. Still havn't got my tuner yet but it does need it for all the reasons that was posted above. I'm ordering an x-pipe and mufflers from Geneo this weekend and tuner is next but still not set on witch one I'm buying.

Whats nice is to find another MK8 guy in your area that has the mods you want and test drive his car. I let the kids across street rip my car with me in pass seat. They don't know how to feather and just leave posi strips forever.

Whats nice is to find another MK8 guy in your area that has the mods you want and test drive his car. I let the kids across street rip my car with me in pass seat. They don't know how to feather and just leave posi strips forever.

I wish I had neighbors like you lol

what kind of DS do you use? a custum one or a 93 shaft?

4" Dynotech with spicer solids.

Kids, don't try this at home.:p This was with the 4.10s and stock intake when the car was about a half second slower than it is now. This was just a steady pull in 3rd gear. I was feeling feisty and took it all the way to 7K rpms. :p

3rd gear top speed - YouTube

that's sweet. i want upgraded valve springs. i saw 6800 on my tach once, but i'm sure if i do it again, its just a matter of time til something happens.

Members online

Back