Reviving a neglected silver bullet- harder than it looks! ---PICS

hulkxd

LVC Member
Reaction score
I started cleaning the outside of my new addition today.

image.jpg
It had some kind of sap all over it in tiny little red dots.

image.jpg

Which would only come off using this:

image.jpg

And the finished (mostly) product was this:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Let me tell you, I tried every way in the world short of using steel wool on the car to get that crap off. And that pic of the sap up there was about a 1'x1' area. There were thousands of those dots. And I felt like a dang brain surgeon to keep from scratching the paint. I managed only a couple of very small slip-ups that will buff right out. It took me from 10 am to 4:30 this afternoon to wash that SOB. I actually feel like I've accomplished something.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I started cleaning the outside of my new addition today.

View attachment 828459105
It had some kind of sap all over it in tiny little red dots.

View attachment 828459106

Which would only come off using this:

View attachment 828459107

And the finished (mostly) product was this:

View attachment 828459108

View attachment 828459109

Let me tell you, I tried every way in the world short of using steel wool on the car to get that crap off. And that pic of the sap up there was about a 1'x1' area. There were thousands of those dots. And I felt like a dang brain surgeon to keep from scratching the paint. I managed only a couple of very small slip-ups that will buff right out. It took me from 10 am to 4:30 this afternoon to wash that SOB. I actually feel like I've accomplished something.

Did you try a clay bar? Those things work wonders!

Didn't have one. The closest auto parts store or wal mart is thirty minutes away. Will keep that in mind for the next time though. Love Kentucky but that tree sap is the DEVIL.

Little bit of kerosene will take sap off, there is a good chance that was rust from the metal in metallic brake pads. When it's hot it will stick to paint then rust. If there is or was heavy break dust on the wheels my bet is on that.

Of course if it wasn't right around the wheel well and more on the hood then perhaps tree sap.

Either way looks pretty good now

Little bit of kerosene will take sap off, there is a good chance that was rust from the metal in metallic brake pads. When it's hot it will stick to paint then rust. If there is or was heavy break dust on the wheels my bet is on that.

Of course if it wasn't right around the wheel well and more on the hood then perhaps tree sap.

Either way looks pretty good now
Tried kerosene, gasoline, and even mean green. Big NOPE. It was on every painted surface the car had. Mostly on the roof, hood, and deck lid. Totally sucked. The mean green worked ok but it just smeared real bad. The easiest and best way was to pop the dots off with my leatherman micro. Not too sharp but small enough to really manipulate.

Sap spots

Tried kerosene, gasoline, and even mean green. Big NOPE. It was on every painted surface the car had. Mostly on the roof, hood, and deck lid. Totally sucked. The mean green worked ok but it just smeared real bad. The easiest and best way was to pop the dots off with my leatherman micro. Not too sharp but small enough to really manipulate.

I have a neighbors tree in the grass near my concrete driveway with a huge shade tree which will do the same thing if I park the wife's LS there for 3 days. Twice I used Lowes or Home Depot "Ordorless Mineral Sprits & clean t-shirt to remove changing cloth spot many times to remove. I would do a panel or part of a large panel @ a time and use a damp cloth to wipe off. Worked easily. No effect on paint last 3 yrs. I wash after & wax.

Hey, I got the same rims and they're covered with thick dirt and oil. Tried a spray cleaner but it did next to nothing. Any idea on how to clean those to a shine?

Hey, I got the same rims and they're covered with thick dirt and oil. Tried a spray cleaner but it did next to nothing. Any idea on how to clean those to a shine?

Chrome or metal polish. Vinegar. rubbing compound (shouldn't scratch the chrome).

YMMV

Steel wool will do it if you use 00 or 000. Won't scratch and will polish great. Only do that if the spray cleaner and elbow grease doesn't work!

Mine was severely neglected when I got it to. I've done wonders to it but still not to my liking. I just need a new paint job.

Didn't have one. The closest auto parts store or wal mart is thirty minutes away. Will keep that in mind for the next time though. Love Kentucky but that tree sap is the DEVIL.

Tree sap is of the devil :p
If not removed shortly after it getting on the painted surface you are going to have a heck of a time removing it without damaging the paint. Remember tree sap and tree resin are similar and resin becomes the jewel amber and that can be cut into shapes. It becomes some really hard stuff.

product_image_699.jpg

Spray Nine from Canadian Tire, just be sure not to spray it on hot or warm surfaces, it degreases like crazy, spray on, let sit for a minute, rinse off, do it again but then use a light fine paint brush in the corners, rinse off. Polish wheel with wax to keep clean longer.

Hello BTW: I'm very near Ottawa myself. Out west on the 417/17

Yeah, you learned that from me and I know it! lol

I'd never. Ever. Use a Magic Eraser on paint. They marr like no other.

I would not use them on a boat. I would not use them on clear coat.

/dr seuss.

/dr seuss.

How about a boat in a moat? Or a car in a bar?

we have all learned alot from you....good and bad, lol

No doubt there.

/dr seuss.

I haven't come across any damage to anything I've cleaned up like that.
Mind ya, I don't go ballistic with the pad either. It's the Spray Nine that cleans well.

Spray Nine works well on tires that have browned from road grim, gets the dirt right off with a brush and restores tires back to black.

/dr seuss.

'95 Cadillac STS fender that's getting painted tomorrow, picked this one up from the scrappers last week.
Needed a clean up and wet sand. Took Spray 9 with warm water to the whole thing to get rid of dirt.

Then used Magic Eraser and Spray 9 on the whole thing to get the deep down marks off it.

Wiped clean with warm water and then repeated with clean dry towel.
No wax or anything (it's getting wet sanded and painted so no waxes)

No damage, no marring, just clean fender.

spray9_1.jpg

spray9_2.jpg

spray9_3.jpg

Having looked at all angles with the light, I can not see any damage.

----EDIT: even removed an old faded pinstripe.

spray9_1.jpg

spray9_2.jpg

spray9_3.jpg

Weird cuz here's a write up where it shows extensive damage.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/can-you-use-a-magic-eraser-on-paint/

I dunno - perhaps I'm not pushing hard enough on the pad to cause damage. Yet when I wish to remove a mark I press down hard enough,
other than that I'm just using it as if I was wet sanding and in combination with the Spray 9 it seems to work well for me.

Mind ya Silver is an easy color to hide imperfection on. <shrugs>

Members online

No members online now.
Back